• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is There Gold At The End Of A Rainbow?

Dear (your name here),
We talked about the future. We talked about the past. We talked about our short comings. We talked about being badass. It doesn't seem to be in the cards, but we sure did, Kinda, try. I will always think of you every time I have to say goodbye. I could never express in words the way you made me feel. It was pure magic, and a really big deal. I wish I had had the chance to see you face to face.
We could have really made this a much better place. So with sadness in my heart, and a smile on my face. I'll take the gifts you gave me, and put them in their place. Hoping you will know you can never be replaced.
xxxsdl

Fluid dynamics says that if you pour water down a duck's back, it runs off.
Whereas if you pour water down my back I'd hit you :D:p

Considering that our reality is just that "ours" the rainbow is as real to me as an atom is. In theory, as a holographic universe we are able to expand, and change as needed. It need not be observed for it to change. I think I read somewhere that it actually stops expanding when observed. It is, in my opinion, that we don't actually have to observe something for it to be real, change, or be elusive.

Yes, I've come across the Holographic Universe idea before (there are heaps of clips on YouTube about it, some of which are good, others not so), and, I have to admit, the idea is for me rather disturbing. It tends to be presented, because it apparently goes hand-in-hand, with another recent idea - the Simulation Hypothesis (i.e. the notion that our reality is no more real than a computer game, which is also kind of disturbing too).

Anyway, it's all very interesting, and what evidence we now have seems to confirm both hypotheses (ex. the otherwise completely baffling wave-particle duality, and what Albert referred to as "spooky" action-at-a-distance, both make far more sense if one assumes either or both hypotheses to be true). If true though, it makes one wonder about the "programmers" who set up this system. We have to hope they know what they are doing, and that they are not actually malevolent, otherwise we are in deep trouble.

Quantum theory indicates that the moon is not there, absent of a sentient observer.

There's a sure Nobel prize if anyone can prove otherwise, and Einstein spent 30 years trying and still failed.

As I recall, the objective non-existence of the moon was an (extreme, though one that logically followed) example that was given at the time by A. Einstein himself to try to demonstrate some of the inherent absurdity in the Copenhagen interpretation of Q.M., and this was one of the reasons why to his dying day he couldn't fully accept it. I can't say I blame him. It to me sounds a bit too mystical as well.

I know this is going to be typical aspie literalism, sorry in advance.

Rainbows are circles, they don't have an end you can reach. At least not in your current form; more poetically "stuck in this mortal coil"

After that, who knows for sure (re: rainbows, not the afterlife)

That's just what the leprechauns want you to think! Put on your tinfopil hat and hide in the corner with me.

-----

My daughter (6-years-old) is absolutely memorized and obsessed with rainbows. I think that she has Asperger's Syndrome (or something next to it). I really hope that she continues her love of science and/or colors into a job.

Yes, I've come across the Holographic Universe idea before (there are heaps of clips on YouTube about it, some of which are good, others not so), and, I have to admit, the idea is for me rather disturbing. It tends to be presented, because it apparently goes hand-in-hand, with another recent idea - the Simulation Hypothesis (i.e. the notion that our reality is no more real than a computer game, which is also kind of disturbing too).

Anyway, it's all very interesting, and what evidence we now have seems to confirm both hypotheses (ex. the otherwise completely baffling wave-particle duality, and what Albert referred to as "spooky" action-at-a-distance, both make far more sense if one assumes either or both hypotheses to be true). If true though, it makes one wonder about the "programmers" who set up this system. We have to hope they know what they are doing, and that they are not actually malevolent, otherwise we are in deep trouble.

The universe does not have to think about or make viable or compute something that is not being looked at.

I, for one, think the universe has a really good memory. I am impressed.

Last edited:
The universe does not have to think about or remember or compute something that is not being looked at.

I, for one, think the universe has a really good memory. I am impressed.

Yes, like in many computer games (ex. SimCity 3000, Shattered Union), a section of the screen remains in an indeterminate condition until such time that you scroll to it.

Totallysteff: some people look at the science of things and assume that there is no God. They will point to science and knowledge as evidence disproving God.

Yes, they do, which is unfortunate, because determining the existence/non-existence of God (or 'god', if you prefer) isn't something that comes under the jurisdiction of the scientific method to begin with. It's a purely philosophical question, and what 'Scientist X' may have to say on the subject is utterly irrelevant. I really do wish more people would understand, and acknowledge, this basic fact.

I say that there is a reason why a universal language exists that all of the people of the Earth recognize, and that is love. Love is God by another name if you will.

I'm sorry, but I just don't understand this - at all. Among other things, it raises far too many awkward questions, questions like, "If, as you say, 'God is love', then why is God so clearly absent from our world? Why is there so much hate?"

Now, if you use the Plantinga free will defence to justify why an apparently omniscient, omnipotent and benevolent God would allow suffering, I need do no more than ask the simple question, "Would a parent who allowed their child to stick a knife into an electrical socket, in order to allow them to learn the value of making mistakes and to refrain from restricting in any way their freedom to indulge in behaviours that are objectively harmful, be considered, by society, to be a good parent?"

God does not mind this! Perhaps one day you and I will witness some of these folks being greeted with love and words of welcome by the deity they don't believe in. I believe that Jesus, the Buddha, The Profit...

The Profit? Was this a Freudian slip?

...and others came here not to save us from death (we are eternal anyway!) but to save us from life without life, in other words, to show that the real 'secret' of life is love. Deprived of love, the spirit withers and distorts, regardless of how well one's body is maintained. One can go without food for sometime, but how long without love? Thus: "Not by bread alone."

I don't believe we are "eternal". Why should I? Give me one good reason. Yes, one can go without food for a limited time, but (in my view, anyway) one can go even longer without love. I should know, I've done it. The fact of the matter is that I have had to put up with both overt and covert rejection my whole life, and yet here I am, still alive and kicking at the age of 48. I'm not recommending that we hate each other, far from it, but love is grossly overrated. It's just an emotion, not "God". God is so much more than just this fickle and useless feeling.

"Where there is love there is life." - Gandhi

Gandhi was wrong. Microbes don't love, and yet they live. Same for viruses, plants...

I hope I don't sound bitter here, because I'm not. I'm just stating the facts as I see them.

So a very good point was made. If love is a feeling, and God is love, wouldn't it make sense to try to grow love. Wouldn't we want to take the idea that "God is love", and make that love the biggest thing in the universe (I believe it already is). Wouldn't we want to spread love, so that even the loveless feel the strength in it? Because love is universal, it is everywhere, and in all things living or not, Good or evil... We are all connected. We are connected by love even if you choose not to understand, or cannot understand it at the moment. If understanding is out of your reach it doesn't mean that you aren't still surrounded by it.
I am connected to everyone, and everything.
Steffanie

Last edited:
There are arguments for us being everlasting.

Odviously not proof.

First think that everything that is born must die.

So to be eternal we must not have been born.

I know my body was born, and my mind has changed so it follows that it was born too.

But if I compare my experience right now with my experience when I was a child there is an element to that experience that has not changed at all.

Check it out now.

If something has not ever changed why assume it was born and will die?

So a very good point was made. If love is a feeling, and God is love, wouldn't it make sense to try to grow love. Wouldn't we want to take the idea that "God is love", and make that love the biggest thing in the universe (I believe it already is). Wouldn't we want to spread love, so that even the loveless feel the strength in it? Because love is universal, it is everywhere, and in all things living or not, Good or evil... We are all connected. We are connected by love even if you choose not to understand, or cannot understand it at the moment. If understanding is out of your reach it doesn't mean that you aren't still surrounded by it.

Love is a combination of items.

[1] Trust

[2] Cooperation

[3] Friendship

For a mate we also get . . .

[4] Mental romance

[5] Physical romance

[5.1] Physical romance releases oxytocin and that makes you high as a kite. It seems to be a bonding chemical that makes people stand each other long enough to raise a child to age 3-5, and then wears off.

[5.2] Physical romance stops releasing oxytocin, and people often find out that they would not necessarily be friends with this person without the high.

[6] So make sure that you actually like the person you marry before that oxytocin makes you high as a kite “in love” as in bonded via chemicals.

Last edited:
I wished I had the kind of positive outlook most you guys do. Similarly, I find difficulty in expressing my need viz everyone else's -- especially that of my partner. Even when I am doing my best to fulfil their happiness, wants and needs, I find myself being misunderstood. The one person I relied on to really accept me for whom I am, has given up. It makes it worse that I am unable to articulate for the greater good, there is a need to drop some of the more idiosyncratic thoughts, worries and problems that NT's tend to to through (because they lead nowhere) and focus on the problem at hand (and getting out of it). It does no good to even try because I will end up being misunderstood all over again.

So I just trudge on, and do what is expected of me, with the broken will, lack of confidence and sense of melancholy that keeps growing.

Unlike you, I'm tired and I don't see a rainbow anywhere in sight.

I wished I had the kind of positive outlook most you guys do. Similarly, I find difficulty in expressing my need viz everyone else's -- especially that of my partner. Even when I am doing my best to fulfil their happiness, wants and needs, I find myself being misunderstood. The one person I relied on to really accept me for whom I am, has given up. It makes it worse that I am unable to articulate for the greater good, there is a need to drop some of the more idiosyncratic thoughts, worries and problems that NT's tend to to through (because they lead nowhere) and focus on the problem at hand (and getting out of it). It does no good to even try because I will end up being misunderstood all over again.

So I just trudge on, and do what is expected of me, with the broken will, lack of confidence and sense of melancholy that keeps growing.

Unlike you, I'm tired and I don't see a rainbow anywhere in sight.
Liam, I struggle everyday with staying positive, but like everything it takes practice. I asked someone yesterday how they remembered to be mindful in the heat of the moment, and they said " you just keep trying until it becomes a habit". I'm not sure if that will be helpful for you at this moments, but it will resonate when it is supposed to.
Steffanie
P.S. The path is slippery sometimes.

Steff, I'm sitting at my laptop, trying so hard to conjure lines of code that would be magical if not for the fact that I am depressed. I think enough has been said about how depression is a downward spiral, and I feel this way after having a row over my nt spouse about new responsibilities I am grasping as a father and husband after many years of being disillusioned into thinking that I was understood. Despite the "changes" to our agreements in the past, I have overcome each bout of confusion over my change in environments by pushing on. I cannot stop being logical about the way I look at things, and my most recent undertaking has been to work full time, earn more bacon and take over most financial responsibilities in the family while the spouse takes a break.

I have never had a break in my life, but I am pushing on, despite the arguments and rows and my dissonance with the rest of humankind. My only comfort these days have been reading posts such as yours, and trying very hard not to lose it. My only protection from the harsh outside world as I go about negotiating it daily are my earphones and music. At the very least, I am aware what tracks will be playing next, and how long each song will last, and at which juncture of my playlist I'd be getting on or off the train.

Trying to be nice, supportive and helpful without receiving an ounce of support from someone who discards my suspicions about my condition with a mere "I am untrained in this area" and refusing to read an iota about the challenges I face, but being more than spontaneous and excited to learn new makeup and fashion tips on youtube, has been a challenge.

But at least stories like yours give me hope. It's not a rainbow per se but my last vestiges of sanity, at the very least.

Steff, I'm sitting at my laptop, trying so hard to conjure lines of code that would be magical if not for the fact that I am depressed. I think enough has been said about how depression is a downward spiral, and I feel this way after having a row over my nt spouse about new responsibilities I am grasping as a father and husband after many years of being disillusioned into thinking that I was understood. Despite the "changes" to our agreements in the past, I have overcome each bout of confusion over my change in environments by pushing on. I cannot stop being logical about the way I look at things, and my most recent undertaking has been to work full time, earn more bacon and take over most financial responsibilities in the family while the spouse takes a break.

I have never had a break in my life, but I am pushing on, despite the arguments and rows and my dissonance with the rest of humankind. My only comfort these days have been reading posts such as yours, and trying very hard not to lose it. My only protection from the harsh outside world as I go about negotiating it daily are my earphones and music. At the very least, I am aware what tracks will be playing next, and how long each song will last, and at which juncture of my playlist I'd be getting on or off the train.

Trying to be nice, supportive and helpful without receiving an ounce of support from someone who discards my suspicions about my condition with a mere "I am untrained in this area" and refusing to read an iota about the challenges I face, but being more than spontaneous and excited to learn new makeup and fashion tips on youtube, has been a challenge.

But at least stories like yours give me hope. It's not a rainbow per se but my last vestiges of sanity, at the very least.
Liam, I get what you are saying completely. It isn't easy, but I love the idea of getting control where you can. Headphone, and consistency of a song length this is brilliant. I need order too, and this is such a cool way to obtain it.
Sadly, people myself included all have special interests, so maybe taking the time yourself to send her small clips of info. Would be greatly helpful. I know there are some really cool easy to read cartoonish works that might help get the ball rolling.
Steffanie
P.s. Just because she needs more from the relationship right now doesn't mean she doesn't care. In fact she might actually be trying to be taking care of herself, so she can in turn take care of you guys. But don't forget to take care of yourself. You two can have a comprise of time. You should ask if you can have one evening in the week that is just for you. So you can recharge!

String Theory trumps Quantum Theory...:p

Ocean tides :ocean: prove the moon exists via graviton strings.:D

Okay that took me 5 minutes to beat 30 years...:p

:innocent::rocket: :fourleaf::rabbitface:

Liam, I get what you are saying completely. It isn't easy, but I love the idea of getting control where you can. Headphone, and consistency of a song length this is brilliant. I need order too, and this is such a cool way to obtain it.
Sadly, people myself included all have special interests, so maybe taking the time yourself to send her small clips of info. Would be greatly helpful. I know there are some really cool easy to read cartoonish works that might help get the ball rolling.
Steffanie
P.s. Just because she needs more from the relationship right now doesn't mean she doesn't care. In fact she might actually be trying to be taking care of herself, so she can in turn take care of you guys. But don't forget to take care of yourself. You two can have a comprise of time. You should ask if you can have one evening in the week that is just for you. So you can recharge!
I have one night a week that I get to walk and sort my thoughts out and one night a week where i can choose to sleep on the floor (I haven't been able to find a bed that suits me well enough)

Patching things up is easier if I can do it in writing. Whenever I try to do it in person, it doesn't end very well.

The worst part about patching things up is the movie that plays in my mind. The one where she asks why she would have to be the only one to "fit in" on this equation and I would be at a loss for words as to how I have been trying to "fit in" for the longest time.

Then there's the movie in my head where attempts to explain my difficulties and experiences result in a brief glance at the material I send, then get filed away as "you need to seek help so you can be normal"

This is not forgetting the part where each time we do reconcile, another row ensues weeks after. When you're an aspie, and recalling the bad stuff just comes automatically, repeating the same performance triggers my anxiety levels exponentially each time. I am trying really really hard to break away from this, and your suggestion of sending cartoonish material helps.

Meanwhile, I have come to grips with shelving my needs and trying my best to fulfil the roles expected of me while hoping that she places some faith and trust that I would do it.

It takes a physical and mental toll, but what's new?

P.s.

Just after i sent a lengthy message to her about my difficulties, and having apologised for my behaviour, the movie that played in my head came true.

"Sorry i m not like your ex wife who has the patience to read and comprehend long texts of article. Give me a therapist to translate that. Thank you." Was her response followed by a tirade about how I wasn't being responsible enough now that I am bringing home the bacon.

Last edited:
String Theory trumps Quantum Theory...:p

Ocean tides :ocean: prove the moon exists via graviton strings.:D

Okay that took me 5 minutes to beat 30 years...:p

:innocent::rocket: :fourleaf::rabbitface:

Brilliant!

But....

If no one sees the waves, then they don't exist either leading to an infinite regress.:p

Just like the Schoedingers cat, and Wigner's friend.

The cat is both alive AND dead, and Wigner's friend is both happy and sad, until Wigner causes the collapse of the wave function by looking at his friend.

:) :(

There's no emoticon for a super position of happy and sad :(

As I recall, the objective non-existence of the moon was an (extreme, though one that logically followed) example that was given at the time by A. Einstein himself to try to demonstrate some of the inherent absurdity in the Copenhagen interpretation of Q.M., and this was one of the reasons why to his dying day he couldn't fully accept it. I can't say I blame him. It to me sounds a bit too mystical as well.

That's correct. It was a frustrated attack on the C. interpretation.

It's still never been disproved and the C interpretation seems at least as convincing as many that indicate the moon IS there prior to measurement.

I'm most convinced by the idea that consciousness is fundamental. Check out Biocentrism.

This explains the measurement problem, spooky action at a distance and the hard problem of consciousness.

Last edited:
Brilliant!

But....

If no one sees the waves, then they don't exist either leading to an infinite regress.:p

Just like the Schoedingers cat, and Wigner's friend.

The cat is both alive AND dead, and Wigner's friend is both happy and sad, until Wigner causes the collapse of the wave function by looking at his friend.

:) :(

There's no emoticon for a super position of happy and sad :(
I believe a hard solid state local Torus Eternal Universe even tho I am a Christian...and I have reconciled it all just fine.:)
My secret to understanding the Universe is I'm lazy....I hate doing extra unnecessary work.
So I decided rather than wading through piles or stupid corrupted shoddy physics books....it was quicker for me to throw their lousy books in the trash can, and take a little time to just look for a way to cut the Gordian Knot.
It took just one year to break the entire matter tree system without their stupid work leading me down dead ends.
End of Story.
Are waves?....really waves? or just ripples? :D
Answer that one and Quantum physics fall to String Theory.:innocent:

I was evil :smilingimp:and withheld a important bit sorry! my apologies.

That is all from me...best wishes Mael :fourleaf::rabbitface:

New Threads

Top Bottom