• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is Silence Awkward?

Pondering

It seems like a lot of people are morbidly afraid of silence but I think silence is nice once in a while (even in the company of others). I feel like I'm completely missing something when someone says 'awkward silence' because it's just soundlessness to me. Do you think that a span of silence between two people after or between a conversation, is it awkward? What about it is awkward? What makes it awkward?

It seems like a lot of people are morbidly afraid of silence but I think silence is nice once in a while (even in the company of others). I feel like I'm completely missing something when someone says 'awkward silence' because it's just soundlessness to me. Do you think that a span of silence between two people after or between a conversation, is it awkward? What about it is awkward? What makes it awkward?

I crave it! Where is it???

I have pieces of those vapid songs that they play everywhere. Scraps of those songs play over and over and over in my head. It makes me want to smash my head through glass, all because some dumb idiots want music playing ALL THE DARN TIME!!!!!!

Enough to make me mad.

I wear earplugs always, but you can hear it over and over. My gym used to be silent and now? BLASTING THIS VACUOUS CRAP!!!!

Total sensory overload and I need to go there........................phhhhhhhhhh

It is awkward if one party is expecting a response or everyone is waiting for someone to speak but no one does. Usually everyone is waiting on me to speak and I don't realize it for awhile.

I have participated in several meditation courses where silence is observed for ten days. I enjoy this a great deal. I go a day or two at work without talking to any one of my 20 coworkers.

Awkward? Sometimes I feel that expectation to say something, and the discomfort the other person feels, waiting for me to carry on a conversation.

For me, silence isn't really all that awkward. Even when people are expecting you to say something I don't think it should be awkward. If they think it is awkward, then they are the one with the problem. The way I see it is that silence helps the mind focus and collect thoughts. If someone is constantly talking and then nothing, then there must be a reason for it. Silence should never be awkward.

HI Cheryl It depends on the reason...if it is two friends totally comfortable with eachother it can be nice?:)

if it is because you don't know how to do a conversation...:confused:

If it is because you don't feel it is safe any more for some reason..:eek:

I am completely the opposite to that and think it started when I was forced to go to church as a child and when ever there was silence, my tummy would start making horrible noises and I grew panicky when the silence went on, because my tummy would react and get even louder and so, I spent all that time, trying in vain to hold my tummy noises and thus, created a pattern and CANNOT STAND SILENCE. As soon as I get home, on goes my music and yes, at top volume too; whereas my husband, who is an nt is loves silence.

To me, silence is deafening. And yes, I have always found silence in a room full of people to be very awkward. When people start chatting in a dr's surgery, I can breath easier, but when there is silence, I suddenly find myself go into panic mode and tummy starts singing. I have tried to see the humor in it, but just cannot.

It very much depends on the situation the silence is occurring. To paraphrase Pulp Fiction, "Why must we always talk about bulls**t in order to feel comfortable around others?" "When you find someone special that you can just shut up for a moment and enjoy a comfortable silence."

It very much depends on the situation the silence is occurring. To paraphrase Pulp Fiction, "Why must we always talk about bulls**t in order to feel comfortable around others?" "When you find someone special that you can just shut up for a moment and enjoy a comfortable silence."

This pretty much says it all. I cherish the few friends I can shut the hell up with. I'm also blessed to have a boyfriend that's more than content to share a desk with me in silence. We talk up a storm in between, but when either of us is on the computer we have an unspoken rule of silence.

It is excruciating for me. I crave a comfortable silence between friends, but since that is rarely the case when I'm around others, I've come to dread it. When we've reached the point of a friendship where we can sit in silence, you're my friend for life.

I grew up in a silent household (the only exception being the tv constantly being on). Besides that, no one spoke much, week long car rides were silent, no music, and the shades were always drawn. I don't have a good relationship with silence, but I do need an awful lot of it to regroup!

I was going to say basically the same. My husband and I can sit comfortably in silence but with other people I find it awkward. Especially if they're one of those people who you just find extra awkward to talk to or make conversation with.

New Threads

Top Bottom