• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it just me who get distressed by a certain 'tone' of voice?

Jessica

For example when my parents are telling me about something that involves me or they're asking me a question, they use this tone of voice and it really gets me anxious and freaked out.. Does anyone else get distressed by a certain tone of voice? or is that just me?

Oh... I have that a lot.

What I kinda lack in perceiving facial expressions, I pick up in vocal expression.

But besides that I usually pick up small things like if someone sighs slightly. Those usually add up with what someone asks me and that usually ends up in me asking them "something wrong?".

The same goes for people saying something in a specific tone like "I wish someone would put the trash outside" and it's kinda said like someone is supposed to hear it and act like they're being adressed. I'm usually all for ask me, and you might get what you want.

What usually annoys me a lot is if people talk rather loudly to reach someone across the room, but not just for a small tidbit of information, but like... to have an actual conversation OVER the loud tv already. I hate people yelling 10 foot across a room just to comment on what they're seeing on tv as means of normal conversation.

It's not really that it freaks me out at once, but I can't really deal with people trying to use tone to get things done. It'll usually result in a "no, I don't want to"... and screaming voices usually get me to leave the room... so if it's for dinner, I'm usually shovelling my food in and leaving, the tv on usually annoys me enough already and I try to deal with that and eat normally already.

Jessica: You're not alone. My mom has a tone a voice sometimes that freaks me out too. Its like ut-oh what did I do and I get all weird and stuff. But taking note of it might help so you can let them know that maybe they should try a differing tone with you especially if they really don't want to alarm you. I just usually remind my mom that that tone scares me.

My dad has the angry tone of voice and it scares the pants off me. He can be telling me about some customer helpline he's called up and argued with and the tone he uses makes me feel so uncomfortable. I also really hate it when people use that sort of sarcastic tone to their voice, it really really angers me and makes my skin feel prickly.

I think it's less the tone for me, but rather volume and pitch that bother me. I tend to be really oblivious to most vocal expressions and usually take the sentence as if it were typed to me in a chat room. I misjudge it quite often, and I think it's my difficulties with sarcasm and expression in a sentence. But loud people bother me, and certain pitches and accents I can find annoying.

I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! Sometimes my mom will say my name in a certain way or want to talk to me and the tone of her voice will make me think "Uh-oh" and immediately I begin to panic.

Yeah, it's that way with everyone I meet. I hate the questioning tone, and I hate the tone where I know they sound annoyed or angry at something, dunno if it's me, or if it's something else, but during my time when I was living with my parents, the default was me so... :/

For me it gets to the point of where every time I see the person I associate with excessively using those tones I try to avoid them for fear of having another meltdown

My supervisor uses that tone and she raises her voice when she's angry and than she verbally abuses the person that she's angry at. I can't quit my job, because I don't want to give her the satisfaction and I don't want to satisfy the stereotype that my mum has in her head that I quit when things get tough, because I'm on the spectrum when that isn't the case.

I used to find it uncomfortable when people talk to me in a harsh or stern tone when I was younger. I absolutely hated that.

I also wanted to say that I don't like it when people yell at me. I often start to cry uncontrollably when people especially customers start yelling at me it makes me so uncomfy I just can't control my self when I am being screamed at or yelled at . I tend to just try to run away and cry but if I can't I just stand there and cry until they let me go.

Harsh voices or loud, nasal voices make me mad and anxious. Loud anything is awful but nasal voices are just sick.
Any accusation or bossy tone makes me upset. I often pick up on things from peoples tone and sometimes I over-read into peoples tone.

Yes I do become distressed due to tones of voice and I have certain responses for some, like if a person is doing that 'I am trying not to yell because I know your a simpleton' tone, I stim quietly, I may wring hands or repeat comfort phrases in my replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom