• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is Asperger's a learning disability? Yes or no?

Various sources say it is, including the local Autism centre, yet the local Social services say it isn't, therefore they denied me the right to go on their employment course because according to them I don't have a learning disability.

Would these people please make their minds up? I hate this being stuck in "Limbo" applying for jobs in the NT world, when by rights I should be applying for Aspie centric positions, even though I refuse on principle to work for £2 a day in some "disabled specific" job in a Remploy Factory or wherever, I deserve better than that IMO.
This might help.

Autism vs. Learning and Attention Issues: What You Need to Know

Autism while by itself is not a learning disability, it is more often than not coupled with learning disabilities. Asperger's on the other hand is manifested in social difficulties, which do not help meet the criteria, and average to high IQ. So in short, Asperger's is not a learning disability.

If you limit the scope of learning to academic fundamentals. People learn to be socially literate. Or they don't.
Yeah well it is not that easy I am a pattern savant and looked at dating body language clips and everything it is still very very very hard to read a Ladies hidden wishes...:confused:

If you limit the scope of learning to academic fundamentals. People learn to be socially literate. Or they don't.
I've learned to be socially literate. I'm not the most outgoing person but I'm socially capable enough to pass, because I'm very adept at observing and learning. I still don't see a convincing argument pro learning disorder, personally.

Autism is a disability in practice and as defined by U.S. law. I agree that it is not necessarily a learning disability but can be for some individuals, especially those who are low functioning. I'm NT, have a couple of autistics in my extended family, and tutor autistics. Some students simply cannot and never will attain fundamental educational milestones necessary to obtain a high school diploma. They just cannot absorb the material. I welcome them to my classes anyway because they derive so many benefits from simply attending classes including a place to socialize, camaraderie with other autistics, development of special interests which they might never have known about, etc. They are getting "educational" instruction even if they cannot pass the GED examination and enrich everyone's lives by their presence.

People learn to be socially literate. Or they don't.

Just curious. Do consider emulating social behavior in part to be the same as actually learning it in whole?

I've emulated/mimicked certain social behaviors most of my life. However despite this experience I don't feel that I actually ever learned it to any degree to establish any meaningful level of comfort or confidence.

I don't consider myself "socially literate". However in various circumstances I can simply "look the part". ;)

Last edited:
Just curious. Do consider emulating social behavior in part to be the same as actually learning it in whole?
No, I do not. I consider it to be rote learning vs. systemic learning, but the former is better than nothing.

In the three Rs (for me), I can extrapolate their likely rules in new situations, such as the endings -s, -ed and -ing for plurals and verb tenses on words that I have never heard before. Said rules are reasonably consistent. Math is even moreso.

I can't see this quality in social conventions, even though NTs readily appear to. [Social conventions] are a moving target.

On a related note, all of my best skills (like programming & troubleshooting) seem to be tactical (addressing a static objective) vs. strategic (for a moving objective). That could be a theory-of-mind issue (e.g. reading people/emotions correctly), too.

Last edited:
On a related note, all of my best skills (like programming & troubleshooting) seem to be tactical (addressing a static objective) vs. strategic (for a moving objective).
For those who don't know, here is a demonstration of static vs. [moving] objectives (using Hide & Seek):
  1. In a playing field, a friend hides an inanimate object while you are not looking. Your goal is to find the object (against a timer usually).
  2. A friend hides themselves in the playing field while you are not looking. You must find them to win.
In scenario #1 [static], you are able to rule out possible hiding places and, eventually, zero in on an object's true hiding spot.

In scenario #2 [moving], after you have ruled out a hiding spot, the hider can opt to leave their present hiding spot for one that you already cleared making the process that much more complicated.

(This is the difference between checkers & chess for me, too.)

I don't think I am as disabled as most other aspies. I make friends easily, I learn faster than every single NT I meet, I love learning about a broad range of subjects, I can control my emotions but push them aside a lot, and little to no sensory overload. I honestly think it varies from person to person. There are aspies I know who I would say could use some extra attention with learning but then I know others who are studying multiple AP courses when they were in the 8th grade (me). So there's no definite answer.

@SomeRandomAspie , my posts on this matter are written from the perspective of a Mensan 2E, but YMMV. (I am generally a quick study in most pursuits, except that which was noted.)

For those who don't know, here is a demonstration of static vs. [moving] objectives (using Hide & Seek):
  1. In a playing field, a friend hides an inanimate object while you are not looking. Your goal is to find the object (against a timer usually).
  2. A friend hides themselves in the playing field while you are not looking. You must find them to win.
In scenario #1 [static], you are able to rule out possible hiding places and, eventually, zero in on an object's true hiding spot.

In scenario #2 [moving], after you have ruled out a hiding spot, the hider can opt to leave their present hiding spot for one that you already cleared making the process that much more complicated.

(This is the difference between checkers & chess for me, too.)
or you just figure out what kind of hiding spot the person likes to hide in....people are not really very random at all...and you walk over there and say Boo!:rolleyes:
If you know why they will pick a thing you know what they will pick almost every time.
...if you can't read their faces read their minds...
:cool:Maelstrom!

Just as an update to this discussion, since I had an appointment at the local Adult Autism centre last week, I have consented to be tested for learning disability, because according to them, it will help me with my life long goal of a job! I don't see how, it's bad enough trying to get a job without that label IMO, but we'll see.. Thing is I've done IQ tests before and not fared well apart from fun ones on Facebook, on which I scored in triple figures.

Just as an update to this discussion, since I had an appointment at the local Adult Autism centre last week, I have consented to be tested for learning disability, because according to them, it will help me with my life long goal of a job! I don't see how, it's bad enough trying to get a job without that label IMO, but we'll see.. Thing is I've done IQ tests before and not fared well apart from fun ones on Facebook, on which I scored in triple figures.

Sounds like a plan. Just understand that such tests are mostly relevant in terms of assessing your aptitude towards one type of job or another, and not simply how "intelligent" one is. Think of it as a "tool". I went through something similar in the late 70s in a very bad job market. My score itself was inconsequential IMO though the test did show where I had aptitude, and where I did not. It helped me in what jobs to look for and which ones to pass on. Good luck!

learning disability isnt just diagnosed on an IQ test,if you have had basic functioning and globally academic problems [ie,not just in one or two subjects] your entire life plus meeting 'mile stones' were slower than everyone else,its a lot more complex than just intelligence.

i dont want to offend you but from my perspective your obsessive need for everyone to have correct grammar and spelling is more a sign of a higher functioning capacity and is a common trait of aspergers-than of someone with generic autism and LD-you would have problems with spelling and grammar if you have mild learning disability,the autism service should assess your autism more deeply as it could be that your autism traits conflict with your daily needs and life.

I found the correct phrase. Lorna Wing said that the trait shared across the whole spectrum was an underdeveloped "social instinct."

That phrase is used in THIS ARTICLE.
While social instinct may be a rarity across the spectrum, it's there in some people with Asperger's. I find it actually funny when websites and descriptions of aspies seem to exaggerate the symptoms. I have noticed very few symptoms in myself, other than a few quarks and an above average intelligence. My point is that generalization is more often than not wrong.

That's the thing, I know a lot of people with Asperger's (including myself) who are very good at everything they do, social or logical. It's not to be generalized. There are aspies that have social problems period, then there are aspies that learn and adapt around those.

That's the thing, I know a lot of people with Asperger's (including myself) who are very good at everything they do, social or logical. It's not to be generalized. There are aspies that have social problems period, then there are aspies that learn and adapt around those.

Are youre sure youre an aspie?

Maybe youre just brilliant :)

New Threads

Top Bottom