• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is ASD The Most Important Disorder To Raise Awareness + Acceptance For ???

Hopeless_Aspie_Guy

Ok so there are admittedly many health issues out there that have a high profile and awareness (i.e cancer) of which everyone knows basic info about and of which there is much support and charities for.
If we look specifically at mental health disorders we can see that in regards to anxiety and depression (if you live in the UK anyway) there are many campaigns and advertisements encouraging people to be communicative about these issues and we can see that in one or two programs you have autistic characters.

My question is whether or not the autistic spectrum (or perhaps just autism/aspergers) needs more attention and awareness and should it be prioritized above all other conditions such as things like schizoid disorder? Is the autistic spectrum one of those many things that isn't but should be taught (along with other life lesson skills) to kids at school and is it one of those things people should be encouraged to be more accepting of (even though many aspies could be seen as very awkward or annoying to NT's)????

i think there does need to be more education and awareness teaching of ASD.i also think shops/businesses need to be taught how to do makaton,how to support an autist having a meltdown or so called 'challenging behavior', how to keep noise to a minimum and how to actually aproach autistic people instead of just approach their family/friend/support staff as if the autist doesnt exist.

i think there should be more taught about it in schools, to help people like my nieces understand me and others and for them to know we arent scary monsters.

No I don't think it should be prioritised over other conditions. I think they're all as important as others.

I think to say that autism needs more support than something like schizophrenia is just plain wrong. For example, go up to anyone and ask them what it is and they'll tell you either nothing or mention multiple personality disorder. And you think autism needs more awareness?

i also think shops/businesses need to be taught how to do makaton,how to support an autist having a meltdown or so called 'challenging behavior', how to keep noise to a minimum and how to actually aproach autistic people instead of just approach their family/friend/support staff as if the autist doesnt exist.

Supposedly they're attempting to do something like this in Wales at the moment. ASD Info Wales have begun with Merthyr Tydfil, and hope for it to be the first ASD aware city. The scheme is called "Can You See Me?" and they're training people from government employees to people working in shops. They're giving away wristbands and cards which people with ASD can choose to wear/use so that others are aware they're on the spectrum. You'd only really know what the band meant if you asked, or you knew about the scheme, so it's not like everyone has to know, if you see what I mean.

I've attached a pic of my band :)

20170528_214505.jpg

No I don't think it should be prioritised over other conditions. I think they're all as important as others.

I think to say that autism needs more support than something like schizophrenia is just plain wrong.

I think ASD is far more common than many other disorders and yet too little understood against others which are perhaps less common and sadly therefor less of a priority.

Hi :) Hopeless_Aspie_Guy.
Can't answer related to TV cause I don't watch it (internet searcher/gamer instead). The extreme asperger's=no-empathy emphasis, (which is probably extremely misunderstood most of the time) is frightening. I wonder if people think of us as heartless, dangerous psychopaths because of it...and then there are the hater groups, basically "an autistic/asperger's man/woman/child has ruined my life forever and I want you to relate and feel sorry for me because of it." So, yes, I would love for more people to "meet" more of us, knowing our asperger's or such, to realize we can be some of the sweetest, most generous, most innocent and inventive and loyal people you ever meet. Having medical care "findable" and local would be great, too. Affordable too would make me jump up and down and cry. One physical therapist actually yelled at me when I told him 10 minutes of his neck stretches made my toes go numb. Another doc dropped my antidepressants because I answered "are you taking these medicines now" literally, and had ran out of them days before. Doc visits are scary and disheartening, but may be less so if more docs understood us.

I think ASD is far more common than many other disorders and yet too little understood against others which are perhaps less common and sadly therefor less of a priority.

Well we still don't know the exact numbers of autism in people. Some quote it at 1 in 66 but others are 1 in 100 which is the same number and many other conditions, schizophrenia, bipolar, Tourette's.

Yes, it needs more awareness, no it should not be prioritised. Its no more important than any other illness/disorder/disease... Strolling into superiority territory here, I do not like that.

no it should not be prioritised. Its no more important than any other illness/disorder/disease... Strolling into superiority territory here, I do not like that.

Well basically what I was asking (not assuming) is whether or not (based on the autistic spectrum being more common than many other mental health disorders) the spectrum is something that more people should be aware of (even taught the basics of at school) against awareness of other disorders that many of us on here may not even have heard of. Do we have a genuine reason on that basis?

Some quote it at 1 in 66 but others are 1 in 100 which is the same number and many other conditions, schizophrenia, bipolar, Tourette's.
You realize these are all part of the spectrum too yer?

That couldn't be further from the truth as science sees it. If I am wrong then citation needed

It turns out that what I meant was that they're all considered neurodiverse (which I incorrectly took to assume was the same as the autistic spectrum).

Your avatar is probably going to growl at me but, I do wonder though if you're user name is a euphemism for 'pain in the ass' as that has ruined my whole assumption of the spectrum now :D

Yes, it needs more awareness, no it should not be prioritised. Its no more important than any other illness/disorder/disease... Strolling into superiority territory here, I do not like that.

Agree. It does not need any priority over other forms of illnesses since it not really an illness, to begin with. But when it come to the public awareness of it. Then yes, it should get top priority. I think you all forgetting one important thing "Is ASD really an illness?". It's like saying that my computer is broken or has a Virus because it's running Mac(or Linux) instead of Windows.

i think there does need to be more education and awareness teaching of ASD.i also think shops/businesses need to be taught how to do makaton,how to support an autist having a meltdown or so called 'challenging behavior', how to keep noise to a minimum and how to actually aproach autistic people instead of just approach their family/friend/support staff as if the autist doesnt exist.

i think there should be more taught about it in schools, to help people like my nieces understand me and others and for them to know we arent scary monsters.
I agree awareness and education needs to be taught younger so people grow up with awareness. Although I'm happy to say a lot of schools have add Makaton to their curriculam.

I think people on the spectrum, as a group, need to be as vocal and politically active as other minority groups are. Nothing will change unless we become active. We're too big of a segment of the population to ignore; we must do something. I feel like people on the spectrum are ignored/dismissed too much. Because every person on the spectrum is different, just like everyone else, it is difficult to group us together. We have to think of the traits that are most common among the group, and educate NTs on what it is like to be a person on the spectrum. With being both publicly vocal and politically active, change will follow in time.

It is so hard for us to do that; it isn't common but I have gone from being an introverted loner to an extroverted self-advocate by learning to wear the label loudly and proudly. I have Autism. So what. Most people think I have a disability. I don't. My brain works differently than yours, that is all. (said to an NT)

I'm not shy anymore about being on the spectrum. I try to explain my experiences in my life as best as I can. I probably share too much, but I don't care anymore. I explain what it is like to go through childhood as an Autistic person not knowing how or why I felt the way I did. The social blindness issues, not being able to keep eye contact with anyone, the bullying over my loud, high pitched voice, sensory issues, etc. Then to find out going into adulthood what is different about me. Then somehow thinking it is an advantage, then a massive disadvantage. Trying to explain the problems with Executive Functioning that I have.(I still struggle with this) I always tell people that everyone on the spectrum is different, just like every NT is, so my experiences are uniquely mine.

I can't stand the lack of earning power that high functioning people on the spectrum have. I think it is an insult to our intelligence. We have societal value; we just have to be put in the position to use it properly. I want what NTs want: A full time job, financial and personal independence, and a long-term stable relationship with a significant other. It seems to be too much to ask though. Not everyone feels the same way that I do, but if you do I hope you understand my frustration.

However, we, as the people on the spectrum, have to fight for our rights. Nobody is going to do it for us. It is up to us to bring it to the attention of NTs.

Disclaimer: the previous statements are my personal opinion and nothing more.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom