• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Intense focus or obsession

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I was just reminded by something I just saw.

A friend posted a vintage photo of Niagara Falls, and reminded me of when I lived in Ontario between 2000 and 2003, several times I drove through the Niagara Falls region and never once stopped to look at the falls.

You see I was always on my way to a classic car show in the United States, must have priorities! :D On my way to take a few photos, and enjoy myself looking at old cars.

I never did make it to Niagara Falls when I wasn't going to a car show, then simply moved back to Alberta again. In the meantime, I have lots of vintage photos in my collection of them.

Last edited:
We have been to Niagara Falls in Canada and in the US, so many times. The US side has more park like and variety scenic views of the falls, whereas the Canadian side is more touristy, but has a nice frontal view from farther away. I used to live only an hour away from the US falls most of my entire life, whereas my wife lived only two hours away in Canada, from that falls side.

I care about what I care about - I don't care about the rest. Once I flew out to a famous city known for many cool and beautiful things and experiences to be had. But I wasn't there for any of that - I was there for a very specific purpose that basically only involved staying on one street. That's what I did, the whole time - I spent the whole time focused only on my purpose - I didn't bother with any of the other things that anyone else would have said I should have done since I flew all the way out there. And I have zero regrets - I am just so glad I squeezed all that *I* wanted out of that opportunity :)

We have been to Niagara Falls in Canada and in the US, so many times. The US side has more park like and variety scenic views of the falls, whereas the Canadian side is more touristy, but has a nice frontal view from farther away. I used to live only an hour away from the US falls most of my entire life, whereas my wife lived only two hours away in Canada, from that falls side.

Almost anywhere in southern Ontario is within two or three hours of the place...

I care about what I care about - I don't care about the rest. Once I flew out to a famous city known for many cool and beautiful things and experiences to be had. But I wasn't there for any of that - I was there for a very specific purpose that basically only involved staying on one street. That's what I did, the whole time - I spent the whole time focused only on my purpose - I didn't bother with any of the other things that anyone else would have said I should have done since I flew all the way out there. And I have zero regrets - I am just so glad I squeezed all that *I* wanted out of that opportunity :)

Exactly! I've also done street photography vacations in large cities, didn't care about going to the usual tourist traps, wanted to street wander and take photos...

When I go for something, I go for it. I don't like making last-minute deviations from my plans, unless the deviation involves something that would interest me. If I were on a road trip to another city, I'd be fine with stopping to watch a construction site in action, or even stop at a rest area - but if I were forced to just turn around and head home, I would never just take it like a man. I love going on vacations outside of my hometown so darn much. I would make endless attempts to make the trip again, at any cost - and just wouldn't be able to enjoy life until the attempts are made. I'd be driving all the people around me insane during that time period, and my parents never look forward to the possibility of such periods. Everyone always calls me unreasonable and unrealistic. This would be TONS more complicated if the trip involved flying...can't even bear to think about the burdens on my psyche.

Let's just say that there was a time where my parents and I were about to take a vacation and actually had to postpone it for a week...just imagine how I acted during the delay period. It infuriates me to even remember this and type about it on here. I don't like being dependent on people; my coworkers tell me to take a trip by myself whenever I bring this up, and I always consider that as the last-resort backup plan. My parents would worry SICK if I were to do that, due to the fact that I'm not self-reliant, have a poor understanding of how this world works...not to mention being an only child.

I have no idea what to do here, because I'm always 100% DETERMINED to take annual vacations. I'm not a happy person by nature with a pretty messed-up mind, and these vacations...they bring out this charming, cheerful soul that otherwise hides within all the doom and gloom. Anxieties are very minimal, and they're usually temporary paranoias about my boss possibly making me come back from the vacation early because he supposedly discovered something idiotic I may have done in the past at work, and would use this as a disciplinary measure. Still, these thoughts tend to pass quickly because I'm too busy enjoying myself. This not only makes me feel good, but it also gives my parents that well-deserved break from the real me. I cannot stand postponing things that I love doing, especially if they bring out this Santa Claus personality - and not to mention the fact that I worry about Murphy's Law, or simply God punishing me for the way I behave at home. I worry that if it gets postponed even once, then it's just not meant to be. Once the vacations do happen however, then I don't ever want to come back home!

I have a magnet of Niagara falls...

On the fridge.

Its also amazing to get up early and see the falls by yourself.

Ive also done that thing of deliberately not going to see 'the thing' but this time i saw it. At 6am.

I seem to have to be intensely focused... I plan for something down to exacts early. I try and prepare myself for that specific thing. If its in an unfamiliar place, I am only interested in the very reason I am going there. It wouldn't matter if some famous person was two blocks over... I would want really bad to stick exactly to that plan... Its sad and I get it, but I don't know how to not be this way.

The other part is when people are with me and they are wanting to force me into all this crap... I tend to either shutdown, or meltdown... Then I feel like a stupid fool, and everyone is wondering what the hell to do with me - when all they had to do was PLEASE leave me alone... Like I always ask

I seem to have to be intensely focused... I plan for something down to exacts early. I try and prepare myself for that specific thing. If its in an unfamiliar place, I am only interested in the very reason I am going there. It wouldn't matter if some famous person was two blocks over... I would want really bad to stick exactly to that plan... Its sad and I get it, but I don't know how to not be this way.

The other part is when people are with me and they are wanting to force me into all this crap... I tend to either shutdown, or meltdown... Then I feel like a stupid fool, and everyone is wondering what the hell to do with me - when all they had to do was PLEASE leave me alone... Like I always ask

Our older Autistic son was this way, too. Everything had to be precise. Only I could do certain things for Aaron, and at the exact times, and in the exact ways he needed, whereas my wife had to do the other certain things for him, in those other exact times and ways. This developed into routines for him, such that any deviation from that was met with a meltdown. We learned the only way to get him to be more flexible and spontaneous was if on occasion we used some logical statement that was true and believable to explain to him why we could not do that thing in the way he was accustomed to.

The more we resorted to some logical explanation for certain things, over time Aaron learned more and more to be able to deviate from routines. We want him to be able to have some routines daily, like for the timing, order and quantity learned for each of his educational learning subjects, as he loves doing that, and for waking up times and bedtimes, but to also have times where he can be less precise like for playing and fun, and in what he eats and drinks, and who helps him with certain activities or personal needs. We feel a proper balances of routines and spontaneity is good.

I don't know if it's just an Aspie thing, or perhaps a photography thing, but when I take trips, whether it's one day or a few days, I try to avoid the "postcard" photo, the one everyone takes... Like if I were in Paris, trying to find a unique way to photograph the Eiffel Tower, but then I would think all photographers look for that, maybe not.

Mind you most of my trips are generally for the sole purpose of photography, and I will usually travel either on my own or with one other person at the most, I am quite picky about who I will travel with, either another photographer or else a non-photographer who is very patient. :D As I can be very focused on my "task" :rolleyes:

One photographer friend I've traveled with before... All on prairie trips, upon finding a place to photograph, we would get out and take our photos, in most cases I would take twice as long as he took, I'm very meticulous in my approach, maybe too much sometimes. When he was done and I was still taking photos, he would just sit in the car and wait for me to finish up my muse, and he was always patient.

My oddball trips on the Canadian prairies? Following a trip from a guy at the store in the small town, I found the abandoned car ferry he told me about, had to walk 20 minutes from my car to get to this spot, it was so out of the way I could have stayed there all day and not seen another soul but I had to move on to more adventures... I was on my own this trip...

34067457153_f14122d455.jpg

Last edited:
Our older Autistic son was this way, too. Everything had to be precise. Only I could do certain things for Aaron, and at the exact times, and in the exact ways he needed, whereas my wife had to do the other certain things for him, in those other exact times and ways. This developed into routines for him, such that any deviation from that was met with a meltdown. We learned the only way to get him to be more flexible and spontaneous was if on occasion we used some logical statement that was true and believable to explain to him why we could not do that thing in the way he was accustomed to.

The more we resorted to some logical explanation for certain things, over time Aaron learned more and more to be able to deviate from routines. We want him to be able to have some routines daily, like for the timing, order and quantity learned for each of his educational learning subjects, as he loves doing that, and for waking up times and bedtimes, but to also have times where he can be less precise like for playing and fun, and in what he eats and drinks, and who helps him with certain activities or personal needs. We feel a proper balances of routines and spontaneity is good.

I truly admire you for trying to help your boys. I admire you for coming here and trying to understand us also. I didn't have anyone who cared for me much at all, actually I was hated and abandoned and it sucked pretty bad for a long time... However, this forced me to have to fit into a world I still don't understand very well. I tell you this as a friend (even though you don't know me at all). Please let them be who they really are, let them melt down, shutdown, they have to figure a lot of this out on their own.

I do hope I dint just sound like a jerk... I didn't mean too, if I did. Its a tough world to not fit in, and I don't know how to protect them from that, or if anyone really should. Be there for them of course, but shelter them, or give them a false sense of reality... I think it could later be a disservice to them, when no one is there for them, like you are right now. Your a good dad. : )

I have not accepted that I have Aspergers for that long, so I am still digesting the idea and getting a grip on what it all means to me and my life.

This entails making lots of new discoveries about myself in regard to having Aspergers. I do become very intensely focused on doing or learning things. I guess I am sort of doing this focus on Aspergers right now, which might be a bit like a snake focussing on its own tail. :D

This intense focus has its good sides and its bad sides. It helps me learn a large amount in a short time and it can be hard to remember to take care of mundane stuff like eating right, etc.

When I travelled to other countries I skipped a lot of the standard touristy stuff in favor of doing what interested me more. It is interesting and fun to read about others who behave in a similar manner.

I am willing to take detours and change plans, however. Whether or not I am willing to make those changes depends on a lot of factors. I am not certain whether this difference between how I approach change is substantially different than how others in this thread handle it. With sufficient motivation, I expect the others here would also deviate from travel plans. Sometimes it is hard to know about this sort of thing only by conjecture instead of actual experience.

@Alaska

My travel patterns?

A couple of times I've gone to Vancouver and Victoria (Canadian west coast), my approach was to mostly street wander and do street photography, bear in mind my trips are primarily for photography.

More recently it has been photography trips onto the Canadian prairies, through small towns of the prairies. I will typically do some research, perhaps some inspiration from other friend's photos I've seen. So I'll head into a particular region with some research under my belt, then it will usually end up being a mix of going to places I've researched, and also finding some places that I wasn't expecting. I will usually drive until about dusk which signals the end of my driving day. I rarely get as far as I want to, and then small town hotels in the middle of nowhere are usually inexpensive.

The consistent mention of unwavering focus made me think that was more all consuming than it apparently is to you, and maybe others. Perhaps I do about the same as you after all. Thanks for the information.

The consistent mention of unwavering focus made me think that was more all consuming than it apparently is to you, and maybe others. Perhaps I do about the same as you after all. Thanks for the information.

It varies with me, I have focus, maybe too much focus sometimes, my photography is truly an obsession for me, very much in the way of observation.

Often on a weekend afternoon I go for a walk with my camera, most people go to nature, I go to the inner city, I really do find inspiration there, perhaps in a different way.

I will walk, and walk, and walk, and walk... Always observing the world around me, that is what I would call my focus... Much the same approach as my prairie drives... Always observing there as well... But I will let the world around surprise me, I never know what I'll see, who I will meet sometimes, I often do a street portrait... Even in small prairie towns and hamlets I'll meet people and have interesting conversations...

A prime example from recently, downtown with a photographer friend, I spotted a guy playing guitar in front of a vacant store, he was just playing for fun and not busking, friendly enough, as we all chatted a musician friend of mine spotted me and came to talk to me, well all got talking, he still played some music. Not long after another lady came by, likely seeing a bit of a crowd and hearing the music too, we all talked, he played some more music. Eventually the party (of sorts) broke up.

It is focus to me, having a plan yet looking for the surprise factor too.

Here is my photo of it:

Street Photo 21.jpg

I truly admire you for trying to help your boys. I admire you for coming here and trying to understand us also. I didn't have anyone who cared for me much at all, actually I was hated and abandoned and it sucked pretty bad for a long time... However, this forced me to have to fit into a world I still don't understand very well. I tell you this as a friend (even though you don't know me at all). Please let them be who they really are, let them melt down, shutdown, they have to figure a lot of this out on their own.

I do hope I dint just sound like a jerk... I didn't mean too, if I did. Its a tough world to not fit in, and I don't know how to protect them from that, or if anyone really should. Be there for them of course, but shelter them, or give them a false sense of reality... I think it could later be a disservice to them, when no one is there for them, like you are right now. Your a good dad. : )

We feel bad you and so many Aspies had bad home environments, and were treated that way. Although I have been on Aspies Central for less three months, I have not seen many Aspies talk about good or great parents. Aspies either do not talk about their home lives, or they talk about some parents who were doing harmful things. In some cases, if some are still living at home, maybe they may not want to talk about their home lives, and if messages are monitored. In other cases, they may not know how to express those parenting feelings.

I truly came to this site for two reasons: to understand adult Aspies better and to communicate our experiences with our sons, and what we have been doing or trying, to get information and advice regardless if it was for or against what we were doing, or what we were thinking and feeling, as that is how we learn. If I wanted everyone to agree with me, I would not have come to this forum, as I realize Aspies are not fond of NTs, even though I am not fond of NTs either, as they treated myself horribly at home, in school, when trying to work, and when in the public domain. So, we appreciate all advice.

I think you made the same statement that has always been in my mind since we learned our sons had Autism: "Please let them be who they really are." Yes, of course this should be the foundation of how we raise our sons, as that is 100% what I agree with. We let our children do things that most all parents would not, unless injury was caused or danger could occur, as we know their biology is different than ours, and they are doing things not because they are bad children, but because that is who they are. I know from much research what Autistic
children can do and do not do along the Spectrum. So, those things that they do we understand it is part of their Autism.

So, if Dylan keeps wanting to climb up on things, or over things because of his extra hyperactive energy or sensory need to be high, and/or feel the texture hard and soft objects under or over him, or to tear up papers because of the feel of that, or some need to break things into pieces, or to scribble on walls to release that hand energy and to feel the crayon or pen against that, we do not fret over that. Walls can be painted. Paper pieces can be cleaned up. And if Dylan needs to be really clingy to us, and us to be next to him, we do not see that as bad either, but focus on the positives of that. This is where my own self-help positive thinking and reducing worry techniques long ago would help, in letting the children be themselves. That was my personal decision though to do that self-help, after much self-analysis, and so only the children one day can determine what they want for them.

As well, we realized although each child had treatments several years ago, like speech therapy, occupational therapy, feeding therapy, and behavioral therapy, that was the pressure we felt as new parents imposed on us by society, medical persons, and Autism charities who said we should be doing that for our children. After failure after failure, and seeing our children were being not only not bettered but with worsened state because of their disruption to their needed routine ways, and as those entities did not care one bit about reducing the sensory issues present in those medical environments, and to let them be themselves in their needed ways, we said, "enough is enough."

It was a desire by the medical establishment for our children to change to fit in to be more like an NT, with assumptions that could happen, and with assumptions this is what the children wanted or needed. We learned it was a money maker for those health and other systems, and so after we fully understood that, and saw how our children were not happy and more functional anyway, we ended all treatments, and did not care what society thought. We changed our perspectives, in wanting our children to go at the pace and in the ways best for them, and allowing them to do things that NT society would think as strange or improper.

The main thesis of my book is not only about acceptance, but with purpose to change the ten or so specific systems, that is contributing to the improper treatment of those with Autism or Aspergers, like the medical, insurance, government, school, public, charitable, and other sectors, to name a few. As for acceptance, and letting our children be themselves, if anyone wants to read a free chapter about that, go to my profile and click on my homepage website, as those sample book pages will tell more about our belief how we should let our children be themselves, and focus more on just the basics. We are so fed up with society and want not only to change the systems, but to help make parents better, too.

The purpose of writing that book was not to make money, as I am not marketing the book on Amazon, nor do we have Facebook. We refused to hire a marketer too, as truth is we think regardless of all those harsh truths about the medical, insurance, and educational systems, charities, and public and parenting attitudes, etc., that we stated in the book, we feel society may never care or desire to change their ways, with desires to appreciate, accept and respect those with Autism. It is the Autistics and Aspies who are supposed to change, according to them, which we do not agree with.

Unfortunately, to be fair, I do not even feel many with Autism care to help me in my cause, or to help their own cause, other than having great support groups, as maybe they are confused themselves from all the misinformation out there, or maybe do not feel their voice will be heard. Maybe they do not know what I am fighting for, or they think my opinion as a parent of two Autistic children means nothing, but I do have concerns when much of society rather read a health book from some biased or closed minded medical doctor with little insight, and no similar life experiences, or to read a book that is heavily marketed as a best seller that supposedly has all the answers, than to read a book from a parent who speaks the truth but in analytical and caring ways, with a desire to change not those with Autism, but others, such that the message is heard, and not the emotion. I do not really blame them though, as society in general has been messing with their minds, in how to think, feel and do. So, of course we want to hear any advice and be given any direction too. That is how we learn to be better parents. I myself thrive under different perspectives and stress.

I have a question for you that has always been on my mind. Chance, how would our children survive independently in this world as an adult, if they were just being themselves as children in 100% of their ways now , when we know NT societal members have their own rigid rules, expectations, and needs and discriminate and judge harshly? Would not all those Autistic adults be then criticized and rejected even more, for being themselves more? We would not be able to be there for them in the future, to protect them, and to fight for their rights, as I am getting older by the minute. Yes, they would learn on their own through those future experiences, through trial and error, and if they could not fit in they would likely flee. But, they could be less prepared for that, if we did not prepare them now. I do not trust those others would help them through that criticism and rejection.

In other words, is it better for us as loving and caring parents to slowly get them used to "not always" getting their precise ways now, so as when they encounter others in the future in real life it does not shock and upset them more that they are told they cannot always be that way? Could letting them be entirely themselves now in reality hurt their chances to have a relationship and work in the future, as most all persons in life will not let them be totally themselves. Or should we continue to mostly let them be totally themselves, and assume then it could be a greater chance there would not be a work setting and relationship partner for them, as few would accept an Autistic adult who was 100% themselves.

I wanted to say I admired you though Chance for you becoming a success at work, as pertaining your job position. I understand though you have lots of concerns about your other skills, so in that regard, maybe you do not feel as a success yet in other ways. In general, I just want those with Autism and Aspergers to be happy
in whatever they do or not do in life. We are trying to figure what makes our sons happy. It is hard to be happy in this world if they feel pressure and so different, so we are trying to show much love to them for who they are.

We just do not know which behavioral traits and needs in our children are Aspie related, versus which are not Aspie related and can or should be be modified? Sometimes it is hard figuring out what to help with, and what to allow.

Last edited:
Sherlock77, like I mentioned to you privately further back when I looked at many of your photos, you are a great photographer. I like your balance of color versus black and white, and your vintage classic looking shots, of people, places, and things. To me all the photos are either relaxing or intriguing, in that it shows what life was like in the past, or it shows the beauty in things that most persons take for granted. Have you ever considered opening up a studio? Pardon me if you already have, but I think you could create a great gallery of classic and beautiful photos to display to the public, whether just for show or to sell copies of.

Last edited:
We feel bad you and so many Aspies had bad home environments, and were treated that way. Although I have been on Aspies Central for less three months, I have not seen many Aspies talk about good or great parents. Aspies either do not talk about their home lives, or they talk about some parents who were doing harmful things. In some cases, if some are still living at home, maybe they may not want to talk about their home lives, and if messages are monitored. In other cases, they may not know how to express those parenting feelings...

I had a great family, for the most part, when I was growing up there was no such thing as Asperger's yet.

However it was a very sheltered upbringing for me, I had limited real exposure to much of the world around me, between home and church I had a good childhood.

Sherlock77, like I mentioned to you privately further back when I looked at many of your photos, you are a great photographer. I like your balance of color versus black and white, and your vintage classic looking shots, of people, places, and things. To me all the photos are either relaxing or intriguing, in that it shows what life was like in the past, or it shows the beauty in things that most persons take for granted. Have you ever considered opening up a studio? Pardon me if you already have, but I think you could create a great gallery of classic and beautiful photos to display to the public, whether just for show or to sell copies of.

Now if only anyone paid attention... o_O

New Threads

Top Bottom