• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Individuality & Community

Ylva

V.I.P Member
We often say "if you've met one autistic, you've met one autistic" as a way to remind people who say things like "but you can't be autistic – you are nothing like my nephew who is eight and male while you are twenty-four and female, but still, his autistic is the only possible autistic" that we are not supposed to be completely identical. (Personally I also use it to point out that someone who has only met one autistic doesn't have any experience to talk about.)

Well, wouldn't you know it, someone has found a way to turn that against us too. The author of the following article does not appear to be autistic, but has still taken our side in this:

Autistic voices, and the problem of the “vocal minority” | DART

"if you've met one autistic, you've met one autistic"

While I do appreciate the authors perspective on persons on the autism spectrum,I find flaws in that statement.

“If you’ve met one person with autism, you’ve met one person with autism,” is credited to Dr. Steven Shore,but I think one could apply the same type of statement to everyone in the human experience.
To quote Nitro,"If you have met one human being,you have met one human being."

To me the point of such a statement is to emphasize that while we may have have similar combinations of traits and behaviors, we may also have different ones and at different amplitudes.

That's all. I don't read any more- or any less into such a statement. That while we might be identified as being on the spectrum, it doesn't mean that it should be accomplished or assumed using a "cookie cutter".

As for those who choose to disparage or marginalize us as a group, I suppose they can find or use just about anything in an attempt to rationalize their prejudice.

There are several links within the article to other sources.
One, "Autistics as Undomesticated Humans," was
startling.

In that, the author concluded that if he were autistic,
he prefer to think of himself as a "less domesticated human being
than as a complete alien"
and supposes that many others would agree.

In what seemed to be an attempt to soften that remark, he added:
"But who wants to be domesticated anyway?"

Undomesticated? Untamed? o_O I prefer unconventional myself. :cool:

We who are unable to fully conform to standards of a social/neurological majority.

Then again, what the hell. They're just words. I know what I am, whatever others choose to label it. :p

Last edited:
I think what some are missing my point is that all human beings have individual strengths and weaknesses.

As much as I understand that we are not wired upstairs the same way as the majority,that doesn't make us better,only different.

I think it only adds more confusion to something that so little of is understood.

As much as I understand that we are not wired upstairs the same way as the majority,that doesn't make us better,only different.

And that "different" in such a context should not routinely be confused with or identified with "deficient".

...In that, the author concluded that if he were autistic,
he prefer to think of himself as a "less domesticated human being
than as a complete alien"
and supposes that many others would agree....

I've always been a bit feral and hard to tame, so I can't argue with that :)

The main problem I have with this kind of article (I mean the "Autistics as undomesticated human beings" article) is that the author assumes that neurotypicality is normal and desirable. This guy goes on to say that schizophrenics are too domesticated - the opposite of autistic people! This implies that in the middle, between the "undomesticated" and the "overdomesticated", there's the happy, normal, majority, living a blissful existence, and that if only the minorities on the "extremes" could be more like this majority, they'd be happier and so would the world.

Which is wrong in so many ways that it gives me a headache thinking about it - especially at 7.30am... Coffee time!! ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom