• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Inconsistent symptoms

Ttianana

Hi everyone, I recently found out from my psychiatrist that I possibly have Aspergers. I've been doing some research and found a few things are spot on. Though I'm also the type of person to convince myself I have a rare disease from Indonesia :sweatsmile:. I'm more interested in discussing the things that are inconsistent and seeing if I've simply been completely misdiagnosed.

-I do not have any addictions. I'm too lazy to keep up the maintenance of an addiction. This includes drugs (medicinal and recreational), caffeine, cigarettes, and even cheese.
-I easily recognize faces, sometimes with people who I have no personal connections with
-I can keep eye contact, but only with brown eyes
-I LOVE talking. I will talk for hours if I can.
-I'm hyper-conscious of my hunger and fatigue.
-I'm extremely empathetic. It can range from me watching peoples reactions and gauging their mental state, to physically feeling what they are in that moment (panic attacks, stomach dropping, heart racing ect.)
-I'm rather aggressive with authority and was diagnosed with Oppressive Defiant Disorder as a child.

These are the actively contradicting symptoms from what I've read up about Aspergers on the net. I'm curious if these would be enough to make the accuracy of the other symptoms irrelevant.
Thank you so much for reading :blush:

Hey hello, first of all welcome to the forums

My opinion is that you should write some more other things, things you think are not NT, maybe that gives us a better idea about your case. Maybe you fit on the spectrum for other things you haven't remembered to mention. How do you act around people, etc?

Seeing your symptoms, some fall into the spectrum and some others don't, but I would recommend writing more extensively your feelings about the world :) that way I can help you better.

Thank you for reading my response Ttianana

I can't give anything near a professional opinion, but some of those things definitely sounded asperger-Esque to me. The thing about only holding contact with brown eyes in particular. I like that - it's an interesting and unique quirk - but I don't think NTs would consider it.

I've learned - after a whole year of self doubting - that I don't check every category, and some seem outright contradictory for me too. For example, I can predict human behavior pretty well, to the point where I can say certain things to get certain reactions, to maintain comfortable relationships (I.e. Them not angry at me) with people, and I can recognize most expressions (I think). I believe my social skills are not lacking. But I'm told that the amount of thought and analysis I put into them is unusual, and you sound a bit like that too.

Also, many people like us crave human contact (I don't, personally, but many do) and would love to socialize more.

And my other areas outside of social skills are definitely not normal NT, though I won't list every aspect of myself because I'm only trying to highlight some relatable similarities to reassure you. :)

Long story short, I have had similar doubts, but learned that we don't have to have every single trait because we're all different, just like not all NTs love arguing or going to parties (the quizzes always make NTs sound like they go to parties every single night). :)

Hope this is helpful!

My dr wont diagnose aspergers because his nephew "has aspergers syndrome and he cant even function". Im like really? Youre gonna judge a case just by how autistic someone else is?!

My dr wont diagnose aspergers because his nephew "has aspergers syndrome and he cant even function". Im like really? Youre gonna judge a case just by how autistic someone else is?!

You need a different doctor.

Firstly, welcome to AC. Please stay and look around. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need.

-I do not have any addictions. I'm too lazy to keep up the maintenance of an addiction. This includes drugs (medicinal and recreational), caffeine, cigarettes, and even cheese.
Never heard of this one. Maybe confusion with the common (but not required) comorbid of OCD?
FWIW, you don't need motivation to keep up an addiction. It provides its own motivation.

-I easily recognize faces, sometimes with people who I have no personal connections with
Remember, that to be an aspie, you only need a number of symptoms. You don't have to tick all the boxes.
Do you remember the names that go with the faces? Maybe you are a visual thinker (which often goes with autism)?

Someone else has mentioned this is an interesting quirk, which could be aspie. Also, its a thing we can teach ourselves to do as the 'right' thing to do. But, is it comfortable, and how long do you hold it? NTs don't maintain 100% eye contact. There is a golden ratio of enough, but not too much which aspies struggle with. We naturally tend to the extremes.

This is very aspie. We either shut up, or we don't know when to stop. Back to the extremes again.

Aspie extreme again?

-I'm extremely empathetic. It can range from me watching peoples reactions and gauging their mental state, to physically feeling what they are in that moment (panic attacks, stomach dropping, heart racing ect.)
What you have described many other aspies can relate to. Many aspies feel empathy very strongly. It is what aspies do as a follow up action (usually something logical rather than social) that makes NTs think we have no empathy.

-I'm rather aggressive with authority and was diagnosed with Oppressive Defiant Disorder as a child.
Again aspies tend to the extremes of passively accepting authority, or questioning it. Questioning is especially common if things seem unfair or illogical, and may not be due to defiance.

These are the actively contradicting symptoms from what I've read up about Aspergers on the net.

Keep in mind that the symptoms are usually written from an NT perspective. If you are an aspie, how you interpret your actions/motives/attitudes may be very different from that of an NT observer!

The best book about Aspergers written by an NT is Tony Attwood's "The complete guide to Aspergers"

For an insider's view, you may find Rudy Simone's "Aspergirls" to be of value.

Last edited:
Lol thats for sure. My "official" diagnonsense (girl interrupted quote) is ADHD even though im not remotely hyper. A.d.d. sure but not hyper

Hi, welcome to the forum :) Have you tried doing any online quizzes to see how many symptoms you have, the AQ test or the Aspie test? They aren't a diagnosis, but they can give you an indication as to whether you're on the spectrum or not.

Some of those characteristics are not associated with typical Aspergers. But there is no real typical Aspergers and every one is different and many HFAs have some traits that do not fit the mold. With some its as much as 50%-50%.

But in your case I would suggest a second professional opinion, because the things you mention do raise some questions and the correct diagnosis is very important to knowing what to do and how to progress.

Some doctors shouldn't be doctors...

The symptoms that you have describe seems like you may have it... but maybe go and look for a 3 persons view about it..

I easily recognize faces, sometimes with people who I have no personal connections with

I was caught off guard by this at first too. Some things matched up to a 't' while others not at all, or inconsistently. I will list my personal observations for me, if it helps.

I think the not recognizing faces is a specific thing - i forget the name, but i know it has one. Its common with and maybe even unique to Aspergers/Autism but by no means does everyone with Aspergers/Autism have it. I can make eye contact fine for the most part, but i do wonder if this is simply because i was raised by an authoritarian, somewhat angry, somewhat emotionally abusive mother and it was emphasized a lot throughout elementary school. I only cannot maintain eye contact if im anxious or overwhelmed.

I like talking too but only with people i'm completely comfortable with - which is a select few people. Otherwise, i'm extremely shy and quiet and uncomfortable. I too find myself quite aware of my own hunger and fatigue, save if im obsessing over something like a new anime or tv show. I call myself empathetic but i'm not sure if its what others would call empathetic - most of the time i think i empathize based on how i have felt or would feel in someone else's situation rather than on what they themselves feel or appear to feel. I'm poor at gauging beyond basic general feelings of what someone else might be feeling in a given moment and even then it has to be obvious.

What you just said there, about empathising being just imagining yourself in their situation - that's interesting because until very recently I didn't realize there WAS any other way to empathize.

Example: someone is sad and a bit scared because they lost their job. You empathize by imagining losing the job and also being sad and scared. I thought it was just that simple, because them being sad and scared feels the same as you being sad and scared, doesn't it? They don't feel a different kind of sad, or have their fear manifest as amusement, or anything. It's the same for me as it would be for them.

That's what I thought, but I've been discussing it lately. I can sort of imagine the real empathy thing if I think about it, but the fact that it's supposedly instant and instinctive for most people is mind blowing. Almost as stunning as the fact that such a "commonly known fact" has been entirely nonexistent to me for 27 years.

Sorry to get off topic a little. Perhaps this will help you relate or explain your own perception of empathy?

I had a similar experience. I was told that I was too good at making eye contact! I recently read that women with Asperger's tend to be better at making eye contact than men, and also...I'm really not that good at making eye contact!

I finally got a therapist to consider it, but of course she's quitting her job before I have a proper diagnosis. So I have to start over with someone else. I would like a diagnosis soon.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I recently found out from my psychiatrist that I possibly have Aspergers. I've been doing some research and found a few things are spot on. Though I'm also the type of person to convince myself I have a rare disease from Indonesia :sweatsmile:. I'm more interested in discussing the things that are inconsistent and seeing if I've simply been completely misdiagnosed.

These are the actively contradicting symptoms from what I've read up about Aspergers on the net. I'm curious if these would be enough to make the accuracy of the other symptoms irrelevant.
Thank you so much for reading :blush:

Hey, I know I can't really provide any helpful advice, but I also am being refused a diagnosis from my parents because I have some friends that I can talk to people (though ti's gotten harder). But mostly you said you can keep eye contact but only with brown eyes. I feel the same way! Or at least it's harder for me to keep eye contact with non-brown eyes. Although I can hold it for a few seconds. It's a shame though, because many of my good friends have such nice light blue eyes that are beautiful yet very hard to stare at haha! :oops::eek:o_O

When I was a child, a teacher suspected that I had autism and I was taken to the family doctor. The doctor said that I couldn't possibly have any form of autism because I was able to answer his questions and I looked at him when he was speaking. This was the early 1980s, but some doctors still think that unless you show all the classic symptoms within 5 minutes, that you can't possibly have autism.

I had doubts over whether I would fit the criteria in the professionals eyes. There were things things I read that were me, things that were very much me, while some things weren't me at all and it was this that caused the doubts. I was very up front about this during the diagnostic process as I didn't want to just try to fit into a criteria. At the end of it all they said it was 'very clear' I was on the spectrum and the lengthy report was scarily accurate when I read it.

I think when there are enough things that have always been present and cannot be explained away as anything else then that counts as strong evidence.

It never ceases to amaze me what some people think that Autism is. A couple of years ago someone told me that I could not possibly be Autistic because I was not "retarded enough". I thought about smacking him on his head and asking him if that was retarded enough. But I didn't. It is no wonder that I do not tell very many people. Not even medical professionals.

It never ceases to amaze me what some people think that Autism is. A couple of years ago someone told me that I could not possibly be Autistic because I was not "retarded enough". I thought about smacking him on his head and asking him if that was retarded enough. But I didn't. It is no wonder that I do not tell very many people. Not even medical professionals.

A couple of years ago I was waiting for my assessment to begin. With the type of job I do I was placed in an office role due to my anxiety at the time. In fairness to my manager I told him one day that I was to be assessed for possible Aspergers. He took one look at me and said you don't seem the type! He totally dissed the idea. At that point I was felt so stupid and angry all at once. How dare he suggest that and what does he know. I decided then that until I was given my diagnosis my employer would be given no further details. Even now they do not seem to understand what autism is and that includes the occupational health doctor and nurses.

From everything I have read, the fact you can only look into brown eyes is very aspy, whereas the other traits you list are more ambiguous.

I can usually look people in the eyes quite naturall, unless I am feeling nervous. For whatever reason I also have a very hard time looking into my ex's eyes. He will stop talking and give me this look, and no matter how hard I try I have to avert my gaze. I laugh, because I feel nervous. Then, when I look back, he is still looking at me and I have to look away again. I think this amuses him.

What you just said there, about empathising being just imagining yourself in their situation - that's interesting because until very recently I didn't realize there WAS any other way to empathize.
Hmm, that is also the way I tend to empathize. Quite often my empathy isn't even acompanied by an emotional response, I just try to behave in a way I think is appropriate. Sometimes I think I might be a selfish person because I have such strong emotions pertaining trivialities in my own life, yet a freind can tell me they have cancer (this actually happened) and I don't feel much of anything. Despite this, friends have explicitly told me I am an empathetic person, so I must be doing something right.

Perhaps the only exceptions to this are when people present very "loud" emotions (ie. crying, hystarical laughter) and I understand the context, then I can join right in with them.

New Threads

Top Bottom