• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

in desperate need of some advice...

JessH0601

Ok, so, here we go:
I had always felt different from everyone else. It wasn't u until just a few months ago that I realized that Aspergers/Autism seems to click with just about everything I've been going through for as long as I can remember.
I started searching for someone in my general area that might be able to do assessment/diagnosis. I still haven't found anyone, technically. I found a counselor that claimed much experience in the area.
Today was my third time seeing her. She has shifted from "you line up with a lot of the traits, just not severe enough" to "I don't see this as Aspergers. I think you have depression/anxiety and maybe ADHD" (depression /anxiety yes, ADHD didn't fit at all).
I am in search of a psychologist that can properly do testing, but I was hoping that maybe someone might know of resources in Northeast Ohio that I might contact.
Also, am I totally out of line in looking elsewhere? I have researched, looked at criteria, talked to tons of people. I am fairly sure I qualify for diagnosis. At least enough to test for it.

Oh it is the pits, isn't it when you know you have aspergers but feel you need to rely on so called professionals?!

I personally do not need a "professional" opinion, since I know I am an aspie and my husband sure does confirm it lol and he is an nt and would like nothing more for me to NOT be an aspie.

It drives me nuts. But, for purposes of getting my doctor to believe me so I can be put on proper doses of anxiety/depression meds, I'm gonna need the formal diagnosis.
It sucks.

Ok, so, here we go:
I had always felt different from everyone else. It wasn't u until just a few months ago that I realized that Aspergers/Autism seems to click with just about everything I've been going through for as long as I can remember.
I started searching for someone in my general area that might be able to do assessment/diagnosis. I still haven't found anyone, technically. I found a counselor that claimed much experience in the area.
Today was my third time seeing her. She has shifted from "you line up with a lot of the traits, just not severe enough" to "I don't see this as Aspergers. I think you have depression/anxiety and maybe ADHD" (depression /anxiety yes, ADHD didn't fit at all).
I am in search of a psychologist that can properly do testing, but I was hoping that maybe someone might know of resources in Northeast Ohio that I might contact.
Also, am I totally out of line in looking elsewhere? I have researched, looked at criteria, talked to tons of people. I am fairly sure I qualify for diagnosis. At least enough to test for it.

Query do you have insurance? If you have insurance call up your insurance company and inform them you are looking for a referral to a mental health professional that is a clinical psychologist. Only a clinical psychologist can properly diagnose you.

Please note do not see out a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist gives out meds only and the therapy is strictly through meds.

A Psychologist can diagnosis if they are a clinical psychologist but neither can prescribe medication.

It's pretty simple if you have insurance I notice many people here are from Canada and Social Systems so what they need to go through and the months to get in wont apply to you unless your on Public Aide.

If that's the case where you have no insurance which is now against the law and if you don't pay the fine you can go to jail. So if you have Obamacare you can do the same thing call up the insurance company and look for clinical psychologists that accept your insurance.

Technically in all cases they will give you a couple numbers to call. It's very simple to be honest unless you don't have insurance

Edit: Just to add it's very important you ask your insurance for this information. I can give you my doctors information but they might not accept your insurance.

So instead of people giving you a ton of numbers just get it from your insurance and remember to ask for a clinical psychologist.

Query do you have insurance? If you have insurance call up your insurance company and inform them you are looking for a referral to a mental health professional that is a clinical psychologist. Only a clinical psychologist can properly diagnose you.

Please note do not see out a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist gives out meds only and the therapy is strictly through meds.

A Psychologist can diagnosis if they are a clinical psychologist but neither can prescribe medication.

It's pretty simple if you have insurance I notice many people here are from Canada and Social Systems so what they need to go through and the months to get in wont apply to you unless your on Public Aide.

If that's the case where you have no insurance which is now against the law and if you don't pay the fine you can go to jail. So if you have Obamacare you can do the same thing call up the insurance company and look for clinical psychologists that accept your insurance.

Technically in all cases they will give you a couple numbers to call. It's very simple to be honest unless you don't have insurance

Edit: Just to add it's very important you ask your insurance for this information. I can give you my doctors information but they might not accept your insurance.

So instead of people giving you a ton of numbers just get it from your insurance and remember to ask for a clinical psychologist.
Thanks!
I didn't know I could do that!
I'll have to call them soon and see if I can get some information :)

Assuming you are female, it seems that it is harder for females to be diagnosed as being on the spectrum. It took me four years until someone suggested a psychologist, and then Bingo! I had my diagnoses. Another thing about using psychologists, as HisShadow said, is that they aren't oriented to think about medications; I firmly believe that a lot of wrong diagnosing happens to aspies who go to people who want to prescribe medications. So they are more likely to argue that you aren't on the spectrum and label you with a condition that can be medicated. Just my two cents!

Assuming you are female, it seems that it is harder for females to be diagnosed as being on the spectrum. It took me four years until someone suggested a psychologist, and then Bingo! I had my diagnoses. Another thing about using psychologists, as HisShadow said, is that they aren't oriented to think about medications; I firmly believe that a lot of wrong diagnosing happens to aspies who go to people who want to prescribe medications. So they are more likely to argue that you aren't on the spectrum and label you with a condition that can be medicated. Just my two cents!
It seems so. I have always had trouble with them wanting to prescribe meds, then more meds, and I just hate it! I never wanted to be on them to begin with! I'm hoping to get some resources together soon and get some real results, rather than just more pills.

It seems so. I have always had trouble with them wanting to prescribe meds, then more meds, and I just hate it! I never wanted to be on them to begin with! I'm hoping to get some resources together soon and get some real results, rather than just more pills.

Most people get confused between the difference between a psychiatrist and the psychologist. They do two totally different things

Psychologists can diagnose and use talk therapy they are restricted from prescribing medication

Psychiatrists cannot diagnosis and do little if any talk therapy in fact how it works is they talk to you maybe for five ten minutes and prescribe medication.

So it's a sort of checks and balances between the two.

I wouldn't wait till you hear replies from other people call the number on the back of your insurance number now before they close get a couple referrals and setup your appointment with a psychologist but remember your looking for a center that has a clinical psychologist

Most people get confused between the difference between a psychiatrist and the psychologist. They do two totally different things

Psychologists can diagnose and use talk therapy they are restricted from prescribing medication

Psychiatrists cannot diagnosis and do little if any talk therapy in fact how it works is they talk to you maybe for five ten minutes and prescribe medication.

So it's a sort of checks and balances between the two.

I wouldn't wait till you hear replies from other people call the number on the back of your insurance number now before they close get a couple referrals and setup your appointment with a psychologist but remember your looking for a center that has a clinical psychologist
I will hopefully be able to call them today if they are open after I leave work. Wouldn't be comfortable calling from work :/

Your in Ohio most insurance companies close at 4:00pm and 5:00pm I would recommend waking up tomorrow afternoon
I will probably go out to my car on lunch and try tomorrow, that way I'm not in the quiet office worth my poorly regulated speaking volume :p

I will probably go out to my car on lunch and try tomorrow, that way I'm not in the quiet office worth my poorly regulated speaking volume :p

Your loud to huh? Lucky enough I have had a lot of vocal training so when my loud self speaks it sounds like I am a broadcaster on the radio

I don't miss my old rust belt accent

Yeah, I can be pretty loud!

Hmm if you are diagnosed you might be able to get your insurance to sponsor you for speech therapy. I myself am thinking of taking acting classes. I got so good at keeping a level tone and professional tone every call I get Im told I need to be on the radio

New Threads

Top Bottom