• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Impersonating voices that irritate you

Princezz

Look!! There's a cat!!
Sometimes, whenever a person annoys me, whether it's how their voice sounds normally, or if it's how it sounds when sad or angry, do you ever find yourself attempting to impersonate them, not to make fun of the people, but to make you feel better about having to listen to it? It could be just to make the situation a little bit funnier, or maybe because your own voice sounds different in your ears?

I just wanted to know if I was the only one or not.

My husband does that all the time. Certain types of voices, and certain sounds he repeats. You are not the only one.

I try not to. Odds are it'll become one of my standard phrases and the last thing I want is them in my head more than they just have to be. If I do, I try to exaggerate it to the point I don't have to worry about picking it up.

I also repeat and mimic certain voices. However, I have a high awareness and am careful about this, becauseof raising a son who has had a significant speech disability.

I wonder if it is a way for me to force myself to be aware of that person as someone to avoid. Sometimes I am socially blind to who is safe and who really is not.

Last edited:
When I use the words of a person I find very annoying,
it gives me such a pain in the nose that I have to stop,
briefly. I don't know if the expression "pain in the neck,"
"pain in the ass/butt," are metaphorical, but the pain in
the nose that I experience is not a metaphor or way to
circumvent using a rude expression. I really mean it
makes my nose hurt.

New Threads

Top Bottom