• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Immaturity

Stevie1903

I'm a 42 year old married man. Most of the time I'm quiet and prefer my own company. I don't mix with others all that well. At work I'm ok with colleagues once I get to know them. The one thing I do notice is my moods tend to go from quiet to opinionated to rather immature! When I get going I'm terrible for puns and having a bit of a laugh. I'm not naturally confident but do find I swing between these various states.

My question is do others find they can be childish in behaviour? My boss and workmates are aware of my AS and I often feel this kind of calls into question my condition. I don't know if I am making much sense here to be honest.

When is something immature and who decides it is so?

I'm much like what you describe at times. Granted, I know I'm not the most responsible adult (I mean, I clearly don't have my sh*t together in a traditional sense).

I don't know if immaturity, which in a way makes one a bit more extrovert is a big issue or an indication that one cannot be on the spectrum. Immaturity can often be linked to humor and humor in general is a way to cope with all kinds of things. It's why serious issues sometimes can be addressed more easily through a joke as an icebreaker.

Perhaps you're just more confident when you can joke around and a more serious environment kinda holds you back?

I'm a 42 year old married man. Most of the time I'm quiet and prefer my own company. I don't mix with others all that well. At work I'm ok with colleagues once I get to know them. The one thing I do notice is my moods tend to go from quiet to opinionated to rather immature! When I get going I'm terrible for puns and having a bit of a laugh. I'm not naturally confident but do find I swing between these various states.

My question is do others find they can be childish in behaviour? My boss and workmates are aware of my AS and I often feel this kind of calls into question my condition. I don't know if I am making much sense here to be honest.

I am childish at times; actually on a regular basis. There's an example of this on my profile today.

I've been told I'm childish but outside of arguments when they're just being a dick it tends to be because of my sense of humor and when I feel playful.

I have a rather silly sense of humour, and I laugh a lot at toilet humour, and that can make me seem childish (or childlike) at times.

I always feel more immature than those around me. Others can seem more serious/professional etc.... but I don't change for the situation. I am always me.. Which some people like as I appear down to earth or jokey etc in, for example, work places full of seriousness......... I will be honest and sometimes that has helped make others mirror than when otherwise they wouldn't. Sometimes more serious types find it almost shocking.. but it never bothers me. I am immature at home too and mostly enjoy time with my kids!

I always feel more immature than those around me. Others can seem more serious/professional etc.... but I don't change for the situation. I am always me.. Which some people like as I appear down to earth or jokey etc in, for example, work places full of seriousness......... I will be honest and sometimes that has helped make others mirror than when otherwise they wouldn't. Sometimes more serious types find it almost shocking.. but it never bothers me. I am immature at home too and mostly enjoy time with my kids!

I'm the biggest kid at home, both in humour and apparently in my approach to things.

It's really interesting all the different things that people consider immature. Honestly, I don't think that being boisterous or goofy is immature. I guess it would depend on the situation. I think I'm immature, but not (usually) for my sense of humor. I often feel like people think of me as childish because I'm not a parent, I don't work, and I have no real responsibilities. I don't have a mortgage to whine about or a promotion to work for or a kid to take to soccer practice. I'm not married and I don't date or anything like that. I can't really contribute to most conversations people seem to have at my age.

I'm about at a maturity level of an 8 year old according to my wife. But I earn $1,000 a day as an IT Project Manager. I guess it depends on the hour of the day and how I'm feeling.

I've always felt immature around other people and as I've grown older the feeling has intensified. I think my emotional development stopped around age 10 and consequently many of my interest fit into that sort of age group.

New Threads

Top Bottom