• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Imaginary Alter E

GoldenWanderer

When I was young (and still to this day), I would watch superhero movies, and I'd see the pin they went through trying to keep their secret identities and hiding their powers. As I aged and struggled socially, I would subtly joke to myself that I was a superhero, and my logical/non emotional self was my super power. I knew I wasn't a super hero and didn't have powers, but to this day, it's a nice thought some days where I'm feeling alone and hopeless. I only just realized I do this a few months ago, but sometimes it's a nice escape. Kind of like watching my own super hero movie for a few minutes in my head.

Did/do any of you have any sort of alter ego you have imagined you were to feel better about the symptoms you experience?

Long before I was diagnosed I used to joke about how there were two versions of me. Like Walter and Walternate in Fringe, or Scott and Nega-Scott in Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I once had a vivid discussion with my psychologist, because I half-joked that much like with a superhero, my two versions could never be in the room at the same time. The serious part about this is that for a long time it did feel this way. Either my thinking cap was on, or my party hat. Both were mutually exclusive.

I couldn't function without an alter ego. And it's not a split personality, it's just that this person with an NT mask that I send into society is an alter ego, with a constructed set of characteristics that make it look like I pass. She even goes by another version of my given name, that's how compartmentalized it is. But I can't play that role 24/7, so it will always be a figment of other people's perception.

I have the hardest time convincing people that I do struggle with certain things because AlterKat passes so well for "normal".

I couldn't function without an alter ego. And it's not a split personality, it's just that this person with an NT mask that I send into society is an alter ego, with a constructed set of characteristics that make it look like I pass. She even goes by another version of my given name, that's how compartmentalized it is. But I can't play that role 24/7, so it will always be a figment of other people's perception.

I have the hardest time convincing people that I do struggle with certain things because AlterKat passes so well for "normal".

I totally do this too. I realized when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade I was different and by 4th, I had a whole wall of these for different situations. The first person I told about my ASD didn't believe me at first because I act so normal, which is weird considering how often I'm panicking on the inside.

In this case, I'm referencing an alter ego that was imagined up to cope with ASD. I didn't learn about my own disorder until just a year ago, so I used to make myself believe I was superhero to make myself feel better when handling anxiety and depression as a child

Well, I also had a super hero-like persona. It's just very embarrassing to bring her back up, but she was super gifted and definitely helped cope with all the non-normal stuff I was trying to deal with.

Come to think of it, I actually had several over the years, which evolved with time.
I had the hardest time understanding that the super hero I imagined could never become real.

About the closest analogy I have to the idea of an alter ego is leadership. I have it as a natural ability, but unlike many leaders I have seen, I do not have a drive to use it.

I have noticed that most people fall apart in an emergency and are not much use, until someone tells them what to do. I began providing that service and telling people what to do at a very young age, when I perceived a need for it.

Emergencies can be somewhat subjective at times and my perception of emergencies is much broader than most people's perception. That can be a problem. Lol. :p Often.

About the closest analogy I have to the idea of an alter ego is leadership. I have it as a natural ability, but unlike many leaders I have seen, I do not have a drive to use it.

I have noticed that most people fall apart in an emergency and are not much use, until someone tells them what to do. I began providing that service and telling people what to do at a very young age, when I perceived a need for it.

Emergencies can be somewhat subjective at times and my perception of emergencies is much broader than most people's perception. That can be a problem. Lol. :p Often.

I've never been able to put words to that! Despite my hate of working, I always rose through the ranks, outperformed those I worked with, and I feel like I am more calm under pressure due to my experience handling panic attacks and anxiety throughout my life. Maybe lol.

I've never been able to put words to that! Despite my hate of working, I always rose through the ranks, outperformed those I worked with, and I feel like I am more calm under pressure due to my experience handling panic attacks and anxiety throughout my life. Maybe lol.
I had never thought of it that way, but yeah, I guess the experience handling panic attacks comes handy after all...

Interviewer: How do you perform under pressure?
Me: *How do I tell them I'm under internal personal pressure 100% of the time, yet they could never tell?*

I kind of did the same thing, except I made my alter ego a separate person, my shadow, and would even have conversations at times (and yes I know she's imaginary, if that weren't the case I'd be on a schizophrenic forum) :D

I kind of did the same thing, except I made my alter ego a separate person, my shadow, and would even have conversations at times (and yes I know she's imaginary, if that weren't the case I'd be on a schizophrenic forum) :D

I talk to myself as if I'm talking to an imaginary person. I practice talking to people by talking to myself.

There's this alter-ego game I made up with my small group of friends, and I take this game very seriously - first things first, I have a scar on my chin from a rollerblading accident in 5th grade gym; I was the only person who kept falling all the time and towards the end I just tripped over this kid sitting on the floor tying his shoe. So, I gradually found out that the friends have chin scars too, from different escapades. So I made up a superhero scar club for us, where our scars has made us into superheroes that can shapeshift into animals and have superpowers. We used to be "Muggles", but after we got our scars we underwent some mutations due to irregular genetics, which made us into these superheroes.

My alter-ego in this game is a were-tiger named Y'Shaarj (I named us after some characters in the game of Hearthstone that I just love playing, and Y'Shaarj is one of the Old Gods from the WoW lore which comes in the form of a card I happened to have obtained in a pack). I "morph" into him whenever I feel like we need to fight villains, and how do I know? Our magical scar bonds tell us, much like The Force. Let's just call it The Scarce, and ironically it ain't ever scarce.

Here's a summary of Y'Shaarj. Y'Shaarj has a very growling kind of voice, and he always swaps words in a sentence, as well as syllables in a word - like this: "Shaarj'Y y-ver a has wling-gro ce-voi of kind, he and ays-alw words swaps a in ence-sent, les-syllab and a in word, no?". He also finishes every sentence with a "no?" question. Sometimes he might even swap portions of a single-syllable word if he's in a very Y'Shaarjy mood, but not in this case. Y'shaarj has stone-like skin and can conjure a fiery laser out of his scar, and that laser can even penetrate technology. It has healing powers, so by texting a person with the cold or flu his laser can actually go through via the text messages and just make a person feel better. Whenever Y'Shaarj is in a bad mood, his laser turns into a frosty one instead. As for shapeshifting, Y'Shaarj can transform into a tiger. He also throws DVD's at his villains as if they were boomerangs, so his alternative nickname is "DVD Man". Y'Shaarj's backup power, if his main ones fail, is teleportation. If he can't fight a villain, he should just get out of there and go into hiding. His powers then recharge by playing the "fuel" game of Hearthstone. The imaginary villains he fights are called "Maesters", just like the Maesters from Game of Thrones but evil versions of them - so we have two paradoxic concepts here, "Maester" and "The Scarce".

Similar concepts apply to the other members of this group. One is a were-panther with a lightning laser (the leader of the pack!), another one is a werewolf with a frosty laser (his laser turns Y'Shaarj-like whenever he's down), and there's also a were-dragon with a laser consisting of mystery elements (the other leader!). We tried to recruit a couple of other members, but they didn't seem very interested. I take this game home sometimes too - but not to work, cannot risk getting fired; cannot afford to get fired. I take this alter-ego thing quite seriously most of the time, and I don't play it alone because that's just too boring. Y'Shaarj is never on his lonesome, and he always serves his fellow superheroes in a union to purge Planet Earth of ne'er-do-well Maesters.

I do not need to talk to imaginary persons since my cats are very gifted conversationalists. The older one has even learned to say something that sounds very much like, "Yeah", at opportune moments.

Both cats are prone to launching cuddle attacks. It is difficult, if not impossible, to feel bad when a cuddle attack occurs.

In my daydreams I imagine myself as an anime character. I always picture her looking almost exactly like Mirai Kuriyama from Beyond the Boundary (Kyoukai no Kanata), but with black-framed glasses, hair that's a dark shade of blonde/light brown, and blue eyes so she more resembles my real self. Funny thing is, I probably spend a lot more time imagining things about her than I do any of the other characters I've claimed to be obsessed with.

I even take it several steps further than simply pretending she has her own series - I also pretend that she has merchandise, "Image Song" CDs, and even her own fandom of people who think she is "moe" and claim her as their "waifu".

I feel pretty embarrassed to be admitting this stuff. Oh well. :confused:

Last edited:
Did/do any of you have any sort of alter ego you have imagined you were to feel better about the symptoms you experience?

Hell yes.

I reckon some of the script or comic book writers or pretty much EVERYONE who works for Marvel thinks like this.

Also, I do see it as real. I mean Sherlock had observational super powers. Maybe one day in human evolution, there will be a dr strange. And I bet he will have aspergers.

So far my only actual super power is being able to hear a baby cry from 3 houses away. :(

When I was young (and still to this day), I would watch superhero movies, and I'd see the pin they went through trying to keep their secret identities and hiding their powers. As I aged and struggled socially, I would subtly joke to myself that I was a superhero, and my logical/non emotional self was my super power. I knew I wasn't a super hero and didn't have powers, but to this day, it's a nice thought some days where I'm feeling alone and hopeless. I only just realized I do this a few months ago, but sometimes it's a nice escape. Kind of like watching my own super hero movie for a few minutes in my head.

I was GirlScout. I flew and rescued people from deep pits as a kid. Now I'm a different kind of superhero. Details cannot escape me. Its a blessing and a curse.

In my daydreams I imagine myself as an anime character. I always picture her looking almost exactly like Mirai Kuriyama from Beyond the Boundary (Kyoukai no Kanata), but with black-framed glasses, hair that's a dark shade of blonde/light brown, and blue eyes so she more resembles my real self. Funny thing is, I probably spend a lot more time imagining things about her than I do any of the other characters I've claimed to be obsessed with.

I even take it several steps further than simply pretending she has her own series - I also pretend that she has merchandise, "Image Song" CDs, and even her own fandom of people who think she is "moe" and claim her as their "waifu".

I feel pretty embarrassed to be admitting this stuff. Oh well. :confused:

No embarrassment necessary That's awesome! I really wish I could go into depth like that on a daydream. Have you ever considered trying to bring her to life? Like writing stories or such about her or making her (you) the star of a short book or something?

No embarrassment necessary That's awesome! I really wish I could go into depth like that on a daydream. Have you ever considered trying to bring her to life? Like writing stories or such about her or making her (you) the star of a short book or something?
Thank you :relieved: Ever since I started revisiting my old (retro) favorite anime series like Inuyasha and Rurouni Kenshin, I've been tempted to rewrite those series as a crossover with my anime alter-ego as a main character. If it's fun for me, I might do the same thing with other anime series I enjoy too. I seriously doubt I'll ever post it online though. I don't want trolls to spoil my fun. :sweatsmile:

New Threads

Top Bottom