• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm Autistic and Want To Join the Marine Corps.

JohnnyLMDice

I have aspergers syndrome, high functioning variety, and well, I want to join the Marines, and I want to know from others, is this an unusual want from someone with Aspergers? Do you know the Military's policy on this? Will I be automaticly rejected? I'm not like, stupid you know, you should know this, I just have a problem interacting with people, but, I can follow instructions, and I am working on my body, I've been loosing weight by riding my bike, I guess what I want to know is, is this a possible dream? Will I actually be able to do this?

Oh thank you alot man.
I'm glad to have that out of the way, albeit I'm so bloody poor, hiring someone to aquire a waive may make me broke before I even get in, but hey, I'm already poor, so, it can't get worse.

Best thing to do is just go straight to a recruiter and talk them up. Aspergers is no disqualifier when it comes to military service in the States, but the Marines do have stricter entry requirements than the others (as I am sure you know). I think you should just go for it! You can never know for sure; there are all sorts of factors that come into whether they decide to take you in or not; but I see no reason why Aspergers alone would disqualify someone.

I didn't know I had AS until I was in my early 60s. However, I did know I never fit in with my peers. I was always interested in things they didn't care about, and I often had no interest in the things they thought were important. I was bullied, and I am female. I always thought there was something wrong with me but at the same time I found my peers to be dull pack animals. After I learned I had AS I started researching what things I should be doing automatically that had never occurred to me. I am 69 now and very tired of trying to fit in and understand neurotypical people. I choose to live alone and do almost no socializing. I believe I do well with superficial interaction with other people; like going to the doctor or dealing with store employees. I can generally follow the rule of polite conversation with these people.

I am concerned that if you join the military you will in constant contact with people who have an extremely strong group identity. I think as an Aspie you would probably do well with rules and regulations and respecting rank, but bunking with a large number of non-Aspie military people will make your differences very obvious. Being one of the group is a strong military practice and I am afraid you will be seen as very different. In my 69 years' experience, I have found being different has often made me a target. Please spend time with a recruiter and tell him/her that you have AS. If they don't know much about the autism spectrum they may think it simply means you aren't very intelligent and often act weird. Ask to be evaluated by someone who has a good understanding of AS. How did you do in high school? Are there teachers who know you well and could help you decide if you can fit in? I firmly believe an Aspie could do a lot of military life very well and be a contributing member of the Armed Forces. However, I am concerned about the everyday interpersonal relationships with your group, platoon, etc. Good luck!

Oh thank you alot man.
I'm glad to have that out of the way, albeit I'm so bloody poor, hiring someone to aquire a waive may make me broke before I even get in, but hey, I'm already poor, so, it can't get worse.

JohnnyLMDice,

Waivers are usually issued either at the MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station, where you'll go to take the ASVAB, or Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, test if you haven't taken it already, and you'll also be given a full physical there), or shortly thereafter. If waivers are required, there's no cost to you. (I've tried to enlist three different times, and been denied each time because of different physical and mental issues that I couldn't get waivers for.)

And, that's important to know, too--there are some things that they can't grant waivers for. But, I'd still say go for it. :)

Best thing to do is just go straight to a recruiter and talk them up. Aspergers is no disqualifier when it comes to military service in the States, but the Marines do have stricter entry requirements than the others (as I am sure you know). I think you should just go for it! You can never know for sure; there are all sorts of factors that come into whether they decide to take you in or not; but I see no reason why Aspergers alone would disqualify someone.

wyverary,

I don't think Asperger's alone is a disqualifier. Now, if there are other conditions (such as depression), they can be disqualifying circumstances. I was told when I wanted to join the Army National Guard that I'd have to be completely off my anti-depressant med (Sertraline, generic for Zoloft) for at least a year, before waivers could even be considered. Well, that was a deal-breaker right there. Now, at 43, as the Bellamy Brothers say, I'm "just too friggin' old!" (Old Hippie) :)

Have you watched the movie "Full Metal Jacket"? If not, you might want to watch it. Several times. From what I understand from a family member who went through basic training shortly after seeing this film, it is pretty damn accurate on how it portrays military life and training. It's pretty raw and pulls no punches. IF, after watching this movie several times, you feel that you could not only survive, but actually thrive in such an environment, then, and only then, would I talk to a recruiter. With the understanding that you may or may not be told the entire truth of what you are getting into. In fact, I'd talk to someone who is actually serving in the branch of the military that you want to go into, before talking to the recruiter. Signing up is a very serious decision and I understand it is not so easy to get out once you have found it is not for you.

Have you watched the movie "Full Metal Jacket"? If not, you might want to watch it. Several times. From what I understand from a family member who went through basic training shortly after seeing this film, it is pretty damn accurate on how it portrays military life and training. It's pretty raw and pulls no punches. IF, after watching this movie several times, you feel that you could not only survive, but actually thrive in such an environment, then, and only then, would I talk to a recruiter. With the understanding that you may or may not be told the entire truth of what you are getting into. In fact, I'd talk to someone who is actually serving in the branch of the military that you want to go into, before talking to the recruiter. Signing up is a very serious decision and I understand it is not so easy to get out once you have found it is not for you.

The movie Full Metal Jacket may have been an accurate portrayal of basic training during the Vietnam War, but now, things are totally different. For one, DI's (Drill Instructors) are not allowed to physically abuse recruits. They can (and do) still scream at their recruits, but the days of physically assaulting them are over.

My sister-in-law's ex was a Marine, and I had seen something about Marine Corps Basic Training where the Senior DI said, "You will not be physically, or mentally abused by myself, or any other drill instructor..." to a bunch of new recruits. Well, having just seen Full Metal Jacket, I thought I'd ask him about it. And he told me that the show I'd seen was pretty accurate, now, but when he went through Basic, his DI's were more like Gunny Sgt. Hartman.

This is good advice and I'm with you here. I think the O.P. could very well find a niche in the armed forces but I relate to what you say. More often than not I've been rejected and singled out by individuals in most institutions and that included being marked down at uni in class-tests by one teacher. School also was an unhappy experience. Having said that I did bump shoulders with some U.S. military people when I was in Russia as a student and didn't have any major issues except I was on the fringes a bit. Even so, same as the O.P. I enjoy the athletic side of things and it may be this is where he feels he could fit into the said environment with the physical training and challenges and so on. He just needs to think very carefully and discuss the whole things with recruitment and hopefully he will make whatever choice is correct.

I didn't know I had AS until I was in my early 60s. However, I did know I never fit in with my peers. I was always interested in things they didn't care about, and I often had no interest in the things they thought were important. I was bullied, and I am female. I always thought there was something wrong with me but at the same time I found my peers to be dull pack animals. After I learned I had AS I started researching what things I should be doing automatically that had never occurred to me. I am 69 now and very tired of trying to fit in and understand neurotypical people. I choose to live alone and do almost no socializing. I believe I do well with superficial interaction with other people; like going to the doctor or dealing with store employees. I can generally follow the rule of polite conversation with these people.

I am concerned that if you join the military you will in constant contact with people who have an extremely strong group identity. I think as an Aspie you would probably do well with rules and regulations and respecting rank, but bunking with a large number of non-Aspie military people will make your differences very obvious. Being one of the group is a strong military practice and I am afraid you will be seen as very different. In my 69 years' experience, I have found being different has often made me a target. Please spend time with a recruiter and tell him/her that you have AS. If they don't know much about the autism spectrum they may think it simply means you aren't very intelligent and often act weird. Ask to be evaluated by someone who has a good understanding of AS. How did you do in high school? Are there teachers who know you well and could help you decide if you can fit in? I firmly believe an Aspie could do a lot of military life very well and be a contributing member of the Armed Forces. However, I am concerned about the everyday interpersonal relationships with your group, platoon, etc. Good luck!

I guess I should come clean about what I can add to this thread. My cousin, who I firmly now believe is on the spectrum joined the Marine Corps many years ago. He did well, getting past basic and going onto becoming a specialized aircraft mechanic for Harrier Jump-Jets. He definitely found his niche. Or so he thought.

However...inevitably with eventual promotion he was informed that he had to fulfill a rotation in recruitment duty. It was not a request...but an order. My cousin had a total meltdown (understatement) over this with his commanding officer which resulted him spending an eight-year sentence in the brig and a dishonorable discharge.

In essence, be mindful of the potential consequences...even if the service is well aware or not of one's condition. Of course he never had any kind of waiver, and to this day I doubt he has ever been diagnosed. I had so much of a struggle in the public relations aspect of a career in insurance. I just couldn't possibly see myself (or my cousin) as a successful Marine recruiter. As an Aspie that's where I would draw a deep line in the sand.

Last edited:
Would just like to say that I had a pretty successful career in the Forces. I am only recently diagnosed, so do see some things that happened during my time that were AS typical, but I was rapidly promoted and did really well until I decided to leave for other reasons.

I have aspergers syndrome, high functioning variety, and well, I want to join the Marines, and I want to know from others, is this an unusual want from someone with Aspergers? Do you know the Military's policy on this? Will I be automaticly rejected? I'm not like, stupid you know, you should know this, I just have a problem interacting with people, but, I can follow instructions, and I am working on my body, I've been loosing weight by riding my bike, I guess what I want to know is, is this a possible dream? Will I actually be able to do this?
I think I understand your attraction to the military from an Asperger's standpoint. It is highly structured, of course, and expectations for conduct are clear and concise. On the other hand, if you're one of those on the Spectrum who has a problem with authority, who even questions authority, you might find the military mentality difficult to handle. Also I would imagine that any sensory issues (loud banging, for instance) might be a source of anxiety. That's my two cents.

I'm pretty sure they except people much more severely impaired then you are, then again my informations coming from full metal jacket so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

I'm pretty sure they except people much more severely impaired then you are, then again my informations coming from full metal jacket so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

I'm assuming you're referring to the "Gomer Pyle" character, who was obviously mentally imbalanced. Keep in mind (other than the fact that FMJ is a movie) that the film was set during the Vietnam War, and there was a draft going on--basically, if your number came up, you went. Mental conditions notwithstanding. I don't think, under 'normal' circumstances, i.e. no draft, that Gomer Pyle would have gotten into the Corps--he was very obviously not right in the head, even before Gunny Sgt. Hartman started on him.

Having said that, as I've said before in this thread, there are waivers, usually granted at the MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) for many conditions.

I'm assuming you're referring to the "Gomer Pyle" character, who was obviously mentally imbalanced. Keep in mind (other than the fact that FMJ is a movie) that the film was set during the Vietnam War, and there was a draft going on--basically, if your number came up, you went. Mental conditions notwithstanding. I don't think, under 'normal' circumstances, i.e. no draft, that Gomer Pyle would have gotten into the Corps--he was very obviously not right in the head, even before Gunny Sgt. Hartman started on him.

Having said that, as I've said before in this thread, there are waivers, usually granted at the MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) for many conditions.
i don't think aspergers is one of those conditions, having poor social skills shouldn't interfear with your morality or your ability to shoot a gun so as long as you do whatever the **** the drill instructor tells you to, you should be all right.

i don't think aspergers is one of those conditions, having poor social skills shouldn't interfear with your morality or your ability to shoot a gun so as long as you do whatever the **** the drill instructor tells you to, you should be all right.

If Asperger's is the only problem, I would agree with that. Now, my own personal experience (I tried to enlist three separate times) is a little different, because of depression issues (and the medication I take for them), as well as several other health issues, in addition to the ASD.

New Threads

Top Bottom