• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you are getting disability benefits in the UK, can you work full time without sanctions?

I went to Gov.uk as they're likely to have all the relevant info.

In regards to ESA:

Claiming ESA if you work
You might be able to work and still claim ESA. It depends on how much you’ll get paid and the hours you do.

Permitted work
If you do ‘permitted work’ it won’t usually affect your ESA. It’s permitted work if both the following apply:

• you earn up to £120 a week
  • you work less than 16 hours a week
There’s no limit on how many weeks your permitted work can last for.

Supported permitted work
You can do ‘supported permitted work’ and earn up to £120 a week. Supported permitted work must be one of the following:

• part of a treatment programme
  • supervised by someone from a local council or voluntary organisation whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people
When you start working
Fill in form PW1.

You need to tell Jobcentre Plus if you do any volunteer work (this normally doesn’t affect your ESA).

In regards to PIP, it's not means tested so earning do not affect it. My husband is on DLA (will move to PIP when they get round to it) and it has never changed. He used to work 39 hours and he got the same then as he does now, working 25 hours. You might be eligible for working tax credits if you were working also.

EDIT: I apologise for repeating what I now see that @Judge has already posted about ESA.

I went to Gov.uk as they're likely to have all the relevant info.

In regards to ESA:

Claiming ESA if you work
You might be able to work and still claim ESA. It depends on how much you’ll get paid and the hours you do.

Permitted work
If you do ‘permitted work’ it won’t usually affect your ESA. It’s permitted work if both the following apply:

Supported permitted work
You can do ‘supported permitted work’ and earn up to £120 a week. Supported permitted work must be one of the following:

• part of a treatment programme
  • supervised by someone from a local council or voluntary organisation whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people
When you start working
Fill in form PW1.

You need to tell Jobcentre Plus if you do any volunteer work (this normally doesn’t affect your ESA).

In regards to PIP, it's not means tested so earning do not affect it. My husband is on DLA (will move to PIP when they get round to it) and it has never changed. He used to work 39 hours and he got the same then as he does now, working 25 hours. You might be eligible for working tax credits if you were working also.

EDIT: I apologise for repeating what I now see that @Judge has already posted about ESA.

I've been doing voluntary work for years and the DWP knows all about it but thanks anyway.

ac75 civil.png

My final warning.

If I see this thread continue on the political path it has taken,I will shut it down.

I've been doing voluntary work for years and the DWP knows all about it but thanks anyway.

....yes...but that also tells you info about work you are allowed to do and be paid for. Only the last part is about voluntary work.

This is the relevant part:

So, by what is on the governments website, you are allowed to work only less than 16 hours a week, and earn up to a maximum of £120 a week before your ESA will be affected.

I recently spoke with a disability benefits advisor here in the u.s. she gave me a paper explaining some things about working and SSDI benefits. Quoted here :

SSDI Received any day of the month except for the 1st
Based on work record of individual, spouse, or parent. Medicare as primary health insurance.
Trial Work Period - 9 months within 60 month period. Earn $840 a month before taxes during trial work period. Approximately 26 hours a week at minimum wage. After that: benefits stop.

Extended Period of eligibility (SGA) - SSA looks at Substantial Gainful Activity - $1170 month before taxes. Approximately 36 hours a week at minimum wage.
Gross wages over SGA - no SSDI check
Gross wages under SGA - SSDI check

Safety Nets:
EXpedited Reinstatement
Reinstatement of benefits within 5 years of termination of benefits if unable to work because of original or related disability; contact SSA for reinstatement. No waiting period, no application to complete.
Medicare coverage continues for at least 93 months. Must pay premiums (offered quarterly).

This is what i was told, not sure how accurate this is. This is for 2017.

I recently spoke with a disability benefits advisor here in the u.s. she gave me a paper explaining some things about working and SSDI benefits. Quoted here :

SSDI Received any day of the month except for the 1st
Based on work record of individual, spouse, or parent. Medicare as primary health insurance.
Trial Work Period - 9 months within 60 month period. Earn $840 a month before taxes during trial work period. Approximately 26 hours a week at minimum wage. After that: benefits stop.

Extended Period of eligibility (SGA) - SSA looks at Substantial Gainful Activity - $1170 month before taxes. Approximately 36 hours a week at minimum wage.
Gross wages over SGA - no SSDI check
Gross wages under SGA - SSDI check

Safety Nets:
EXpedited Reinstatement
Reinstatement of benefits within 5 years of termination of benefits if unable to work because of original or related disability; contact SSA for reinstatement. No waiting period, no application to complete.
Medicare coverage continues for at least 93 months. Must pay premiums (offered quarterly).

This is what i was told, not sure how accurate this is. This is for 2017.

I'll book a chat with the CAB at some point, they might actually know what they're on about, unlike the local Disability advisers IMO, I've seen 3 since last year and keep getting conflicting views, they don't sing from the same hymn sheet.

Although having said that, the general consensus is that I can only work up to 16 hours, ideally less, at full UK minimum wage.

Last edited:
I'll book a chat with the CAB at some point, they might actually know what they're on about, unlike the local Disability advisers IMO, I've seen 3 since last year and keep getting conflicting views, they don't sing from the same hymn sheet.

Although having said that, the general consensus is that I can only work up to 16 hours, ideally less, at ful UK minimum wage.

The person you've quoted has provided info about the US system. I've given the text from the website of the UK government twice, with exactly what you need to know.

Before there will be any effect of your ESA:

You must work less than 16 hours a week
You must earn no more than £120 a week

As I stated above, it's from the page on the website of the British government about precisely what you wanted to know.

The person you've quoted has provided info about the US system. I've given the text from the website of the UK government twice, with exactly what you need to know.

Before there will be any effect of your ESA:

You must work less than 16 hours a week
You must earn no more than £120 a week

As I stated above, it's from the page on the website of the British government about precisely what you wanted to know.

I know, but that job at Three which I did a video interview for last night, the pay is £8.20 an hour for 15 hours a week, which is literally 3 quid a week over the limit.

If I get offered the job I might have to try and negotiate that.

I know, but that job at Three which I did a video interview for last night, the pay is £8.20 an hour for 15 hours a week, which is literally 3 quid a week over the limit.

Then it would affect your ESA, but probably negligibly. If it were me, I wouldn't risk it because of the faff it would cause even being £3 over. The DWP are always on the look out for any reason to look into people's benefits for the slightest thing, so that they can hopefully claw back more by finding something else.

Are you sure that this isn't a bug of the welfare state but a feature?

Eh? The limit, according to the government's website is £120 a week, £8.20 an hour, 15 hours a week comes to £123 a week, you do the maths.

No question that you'll have to negotiate slightly less hours or risk losing all your benefits. Per my earlier comments I'm pretty sure the math is supposed to work like that- by design. Whether one considers this a "bug" or a "feature" may well depend on whether you're a recipient or a taxpayer.

The real question remains whether or not a prospective employer is legally able- or willing to provide hourly wages slightly below these standards so you're square with the authorities regarding your benefits.

Last edited:
No question that you'll have to negotiate slightly less hours or risk losing all your benefits. Per my earlier comments I'm pretty sure the math is supposed to work like that- by design. Whether one considers this a "bug" or a "feature" may well depend on whether you're a recipient or a taxpayer.

The real question remains whether or not a prospective employer is legally able- or willing to provide hourly wages slightly below these standards so you're square with the authorities regarding your benefits.

Well Three have still yet to be in touch, unless there's a message on the Landline at the Flat, not been Home yet.

If they do offer me a second interview, I'll mention the issue and see what they say.

I don't think knocking 20p an hour off the pay will be much of a problem, it saves them money.

Well Three have still yet to be in touch, unless there's a message on the Landline at the Flat, not been Home yet.

If they do offer me a second interview, I'll mention the issue and see what they say.

I don't think knocking 20p an hour off the pay will be much of a problem, it saves them money.

Yeah, I'd think in most cases they wouldn't object. Unless of course there's some bureaucratic corporate policy in place where no variances are allowed. But yeah- money is money! So I'd think it shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, I'd think in most cases they wouldn't object. Unless of course there's some bureaucratic corporate policy in place where no variances are allowed. But yeah- money is money! So I'd think it shouldn't be a problem.

It's over the "living wage" (minimum wage) rate (£7.50 an hour for over 25's) so legally there would be no issue.

I'm here in the US and one of the biggest issues here is that as soon as you get a paying job, they cut off your disability. That part, in and of itself, is not so much the issue here, as the part of not being able to go back on as soon as you lose the job, is.

Don't lose the job then, although I do take your point, that's easier said than done :(

Trump's more likely a psychopath, not an Aspie.

Rich, try to get something in writing. That way you can refer back to it if anyone tries to take your benefits. Don't just rely on someone's (spoken) word, as you have no recourse if the info was wrong.

New Threads

Top Bottom