• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you are getting disability benefits in the UK, can you work full time without sanctions?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

As you know my current never ending quest is to get a job, however I am being sent in the direction of call centre work which requires you to work 40 hours a week at minimum wage, however I can't do it without coming off benefits, which for various reasons I can't do, it would affect the tenancy of my Flat (Americans call it an Apartment) and other stuff.

So anyway, realistically how many hours could I work while claiming Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and Disability Living Allowance at the middle rate for mobility?

I know I probably need to speak to someone at the Job Centre about this but I've done so before and keep getting conflicting answers, one person says one thing, somebody else says another, they never sing from the same hymn sheet.

Working would likely affect both but I don't know the hours. For some reason, 16 hours sticks in my mind.

you can do permitted work (you are supervised by someine from local government or a voluntary organisation that specifically says they take the disabled )
its 16 hours for upto 52 weeks if your in the working group receiving e.s.a and receive £120 a week
if you're in the support group you have no limit to the weeks
go to citizensadvice.org to find out more
Topic.

As you know my current never ending quest is to get a job, however I am being sent in the direction of call centre work which requires you to work 40 hours a week at minimum wage, however I can't do it without coming off benefits, which for various reasons I can't do, it would affect the tenancy of my Flat (Americans call it an Apartment) and other stuff.

So anyway, realistically how many hours could I work while claiming Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and Disability Living Allowance at the middle rate for mobility?

I know I probably need to speak to someone at the Job Centre about this but I've done so before and keep getting conflicting answers, one person says one thing, somebody else says another, they never sing from the same hymn sheet.

I'm here in the US and one of the biggest issues here is that as soon as you get a paying job, they cut off your disability. That part, in and of itself, is not so much the issue here, as the part of not being able to go back on as soon as you lose the job, is.

I'm here in the US and one of the biggest issues here is that as soon as you get a paying job, they cut off your disability. That part, in and of itself, is not so much the issue here, as the part of not being able to go back on as soon as you lose the job, is.

The problem is the same here, the forms from the DWP might as well be in Mandarin Chinese for all the sense you can make of them IMHO.

you can do permitted work (you are supervised by someone from local government or a voluntary organisation that specifically says they take the disabled )
its 16 hours for up to 52 weeks if your in the working group receiving e.s.a and receive £120 a week
if you're in the support group you have no limit to the weeks
go to citizensadvice.org to find out more

Thanks for the help.

Also, I've been doing the voluntary thing for years, I wanna work but this time I want paying for it, a good day's pay for a good day's work.

As Streetwise said, you can work 16 hours per week on ESA - think that's incoming related subtype. If you're on DSA or as it's now called PIP, I don't think working should affect your claim.

If you're unsure though get in contact with the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Permitted Work (Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)) - Turn2us

Permitted work includes:
  • Work as part of a treatment programme under medical supervision while in hospital or attending hospital - as long as you don’t earn more than £120 a week.

• Any work, for an unlimited period, as long as you don’t earn more than £20 a week (the permitted work lower limits

• Supported work (supervised by someone employed to find work for disabled people), for an unlimited period, provided you do not earn more than £120 a week.

• Any work as long as you work for less than 16 hours a week (average) and do not earn more than £120 a week, the permitted work higher limit.
If you were to exceed the restrictions in any week, you would not be entitled to ESA for that week.

Permitted Work (Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)) - Turn2us

Permitted work includes:
  • Work as part of a treatment programme under medical supervision while in hospital or attending hospital - as long as you don’t earn more than £120 a week.

• Any work, for an unlimited period, as long as you don’t earn more than £20 a week (the permitted work lower limits

• Supported work (supervised by someone employed to find work for disabled people), for an unlimited period, provided you do not earn more than £120 a week.

• Any work as long as you work for less than 16 hours a week (average) and do not earn more than £120 a week, the permitted work higher limit.
If you were to exceed the restrictions in any week, you would not be entitled to ESA for that week.

So basically, to work 10 hours a week you can earn £2 an hour?! And that's legal?! I'm sorry but what the hell?! And at normal minimum wage you can work about 2 and half hours a week? Not worth getting out of Bed for IMO, and they wonder why some people work on the fiddle without declaring it?! Smh.

its immoral but its not illegal its the greed morality
So basically, to work 10 hours a week you can earn £2 an hour?! And that's legal?! I'm sorry but what the hell?! And at normal minimum wage you can work about 2 and half hours a week? Not worth getting out of Bed for IMO, and they wonder why some people work on the fiddle without declaring it?! Smh.

By political design, I'd wager. Laws crafted which have no intention of allowing citizens to "have their cake and eat it to" from a political mindset very different from your own values.

It's no accident. The same dynamic exists across the pond and probably in many other more sophisticated social welfare states. With the political intent to keep life on public assistance to a level of being "spartan". And that for anyone who wants to rise above this, must essentially abandon public assistance in its entirety. Though agreed, in many cases people no doubt simply break the law in not reporting supplemented income.

Of course such a system inevitably puts many with permanent disabilities at a distinct disadvantage. But then for some legislating such provisions, compassion even for the disabled is dispensed with an eye-dropper. That's just a political reality in most any democracy, including ours.

Last edited:
By political design, I'd wager. Laws crafted which have no intention of allowing citizens to "have their cake and eat it to" from a political mindset very different from your own values.

It's no accident. The same dynamic exists across the pond and probably in many other more sophisticated social welfare states. With the political intent to keep life on public assistance to a level of being "spartan". And that for anyone who wants to rise above this, must essentially abandon public assistance in its entirety. Though agreed, in many cases people no doubt simply break the law in not reporting supplemented income.

Of course such a system inevitably puts many with permanent disabilities at a distinct disadvantage. But then for some legislating such provisions, compassion even for the disabled is dispensed with an eye-dropper. That's just a political reality in most any democracy, including ours.

And the thing about it is that old man Trump is probably Aspie himself, got to be some explanation as to why he's even more of a [use your imagination] than George W Bush was.

And the thing about it is that old man Trump is probably Aspie himself, got to be some explanation as to why he's even more of a [use your imagination] than George W Bush was.

If I was in your situation I'd be more concerned about Theresa May and Nigel Farage. ;)

Though it's pretty clear what politically binds them all across the pond. Social conservatism. I suspect none of these political mentalities is likely to cut you a break on general principle alone. Ever.

Last edited:
If I was in your situation I'd be more concerned about Theresa May and Nigel Farage. ;)

Though it's pretty clear what politically binds them all across the pond. Social conservatism. I suspect none of these political mentalities is likely to cut you a break on general principle alone. Ever.

Nigel Farage will never be Prime Minister, because even the moronic Daily Fail reading racists who vote UKIP aren't stupid enough to vote him in, and he's not even the Leader of the UKIP any more.

And Theresa May will be OUT this side of Christmas, I guarantee it, even her own Party members have started turning against her.

Last edited:
Nigel Farage will never be Prime Minister, because even the moronic Daily Fail reading racists who vote BNP aren't stupid enough to vote him in, and he's not even the Leader of the BNP any more.

And Theresa May will be OUT this side of Christmas, I guarantee it, even her own Party members have started turning against her.

You miss the point. That there will always be another conservative to replace them in their ranks. Whether they occupy #10 Downing Street or not. That significant number of British (or Americans) who support this line of thinking. Their numbers move plus or minus, but the school of thought never goes away.

Those voters and politicians who fundamentally don't support the concept of a modern welfare state in whole or in part.

Nigel Farage will never be Prime Minister, because even the moronic Daily Fail reading racists who vote BNP aren't stupid enough to vote him in, and he's not even the Leader of the BNP any more.

Farage was never the leader of the BNP. He was the leader of UKIP.

New Threads

Top Bottom