• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I would like to help my grandson who has aspergers

aax4

My 12 yo grandson spends 99.9% of his time in his room on his computer. He struggles at school as he has trouble mixing with other children and when frustrated can become aggressive. If his mother tries to limit the computer time the household is disrupted and it has come to the point where he is left where he wants to be ( ie alone on his computer) for peace. The other day when I was visiting he had a meltdown and I heard him yell at his mother that the kids at school call him "retarded". I don't know how much he knows about Aspergers although I do know that he understands that he has had testing and that he does have it. My question is "Would he benefit from an online community like this". I think he must feel very isolated and different. At the moment he just wants to play his computer games. Any suggestions would be very much appreaciated.

My 12 yo grandson spends 99.9% of his time in his room on his computer. He struggles at school as he has trouble mixing with other children and when frustrated can become aggressive. If his mother tries to limit the computer time the household is disrupted and it has come to the point where he is left where he wants to be ( ie alone on his computer) for peace. The other day when I was visiting he had a meltdown and I heard him yell at his mother that the kids at school call him "retarded". I don't know how much he knows about Aspergers although I do know that he understands that he has had testing and that he does have it. My question is "Would he benefit from an online community like this". I think he must feel very isolated and different. At the moment he just wants to play his computer games. Any suggestions would be very much appreaciated.
Keeping in mind that I found out late in life, it was a huge relief to find out I was not alone. I also benefited from hearing others stories. I wish that I would have known that I was OK back then.
Good Luck

Keeping in mind that I found out late in life, it was a huge relief to find out I was not alone. I also benefited from hearing others stories. I wish that I would have known that I was OK back then.
Good Luck

He may benefit some from communicating with other Aspies. We are a diverse bunch from all over the world and of every age. However, there is an "Adult Forum" that may not be appropriate for his age. His participation should be monitored if he does join as to what forums he should access. He may have other issues besides AS that need addressed, which is something to be considered. There are others on here much wiser than I am, so I'm sure you'll hear from one or more of them.

He may benefit some from communicating with other Aspies. We are a diverse bunch from all over the world and of every age. However, there is an "Adult Forum" that may not be appropriate for his age. His participation should be monitored if he does join as to what forums he should access. He may have other issues besides AS that need addressed, which is something to be considered. There are others on here much wiser than I am, so I'm sure you'll hear from one or more of them.

Consider enrolling him in online school where he won't have the social pressures, but can learn. He can only play video games after he makes good efforts to complete his school work. Otherwise you need to be persistent about computer privileges and temper tantrums. He needs to learn how to do what is necessary for himself academically and how to properly react, and when he doesn't follow through, you need to be the parent and tirelessly let him get mad and constantly redirect him calmly until he behaves properly. He will tire eventually because he will want to play video games, but he has to be "taught"/"shown" to do the right things first.

New Threads

Top Bottom