• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I would gladly take a pill if it enabled me to do normal things!

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
Yesterday, I had an appointment, but realised in the early hours of the morning that I did not need that appointment and in fact, it should be my husband having it! So, I related this ( in the past, I would be too embarrassed to say anything), he tried to reason with me, but in the end saw that I was determined.

So, we managed to swap the appointment for him, but we were out and about and so, he suggested we buy something from a shop to eat and then, go to the appointment. He did ask me about staying in the car or go in the waiting room, but I actually misunderstood him to mean something else and so said the car, but in fact, he said that for some reason, he did not mind waiting for me in the area where people wait, but did not like the idea of me waiting for him and so, left me the key of the car and I had my two devices on me and reading materal.

I did actually have a nap, which was nice and then looked at my phone, to see it was on a very low battery and in fact had shut down, which gave me a jolt of panic. I tried my other device, but it kept flashing and so, got a book out and started reading that.

I could suddenly feel my anxiety rising and looked at the time and saw I had been in the car for close to 2 hrs and no sign of my husband!

Now, any normal woman would just shrug her shoulders, get out of the car and go for a stroll to freshen and stretch; but not Suzanne. She is rooted to her chair and thinking: if the worst happened, I would end up not being able to do anything. I felt utterly demoralised and very frustrated with myself. It honestly felt like this huge obsticle I had to climb over. I saw myself walking in and fumbling with the lift and then, going to the wrong floor. Many say: the reality is never as bad as the fear, but I tell you, it is always bad for me. I would trip and get the wrong floor! I feel soooo well,, disarmed when on my own.

I started to whimper at my utter stupidity and cried out to Jehovah ( God) and the next minute, I decided to take one last look at my phone and it worked! It had turned off but had a little bit of battery left on it. I saw tons of messages from my husband and the last message of: I don't think you are getting these messages, but just to let you know, I am waiting for my results; I do hope you are ok? I remembered the time from my tablet and with a huge sense of relief saw that they tallied and thus, it would not be long. My phone then went dead.

30min's later, he returned! But I cannot shake this sense of patheticness about me. I feel such shame that I cannot do what normal people do. I would love to go out for walks on my own and explore things, but it PETRIFIES me.

So, when I can afford to go to see a psychiatrist, if there is a tablet that can help less the walls in my head, I think I might take them. I just want to be normal! ( in the sense of doing ordinary things on my own).

Normal people would also not buy a car charger USB for their phone :)

So that's one point into the normal column from me.

Having said that, I have one but I don't keep it in the car!
Minus one point for me

So that's one point into the normal column from me.

Having said that, I have one but I don't keep it in the car!
Minus one point for me

I do usually take my charger with me, but actually thought: no, won't need that today and so, no more will I leave the house without it.

I do usually take my charger with me, but actually thought: no, won't need that today and so, no more will I leave the house without it.

So to support I can easily see myself in a similar position.
It's the thought process that starts up 'shame overdive'
All other past humiliations then Co e to the fore which have to be suppressed to regain control.

I'm 45 and can't even put ym the shirt on the right way round.
Yesterday I even tookextra time to do it ,(this is the front,this is the back) yep still on backwards.
I don't chastise myself about this one tho (have learnt not to) but do about other stuff.

We feeling shame,feeling stupid - been there.

I avoid this problem by keeping a USB cable and charger in my car at all times. There are a lot of time that I even forget to put my phone on the charge before going to bed at night.

I sold quite a few of those working at the electronics department of K-Mart, so I don't know about that.

Normal is a subjective term. Frustration can be expected but that's just one of the undeniable facts of life. Did you ever hear the story about the man who did everything right on the first try, never made mistakes, got everything he wanted, never got frustrated or upset with anyone? No. Because that story hasn't been written and if it was, it would be incredibly boring.

I would't want to take a pill for me to do normal things as for myself, there many things I can do better than normal people.

Sure, there things that are harder for me that most normal people never experience, but I like being different and unique.

I know what you mean... sometimes I think "if I was a bit more NT, I wouldn't have just blurted out something which must've been totally inappropriate, judging by the way everyone's suddenly started staring at me" or "if I was a bit less aspie, I wouldn't be standing here in this social situation with a voice in my head screaming RUN FOR THE HILLS!!".

But when I've calmed down a bit, I realise that I would never really want to be any different to what I am. We have such a different view of the world, and the people in it; we experience it more vividly in some ways (ok, maybe a bit too vividly sometimes, but still). I can't really imagine life as an NT - I've never been one, obviously - but if I took one of those pills, it seems like life would be more predictable, less intense, like looking at a washed-out photo. In spite of all the pain and frustration and embarrassment, I like being an Aspie.

I could suddenly feel my anxiety rising and looked at the time and saw I had been in the car for close to 2 hrs and no sign of my husband!

Now, any normal woman would just shrug her shoulders, get out of the car and go for a stroll to freshen and stretch; but not Suzanne.

Just want to point out that plenty of us folks who are technically NT have the same responses. I offered to pick up a co-worker at the train station this morning; she told me her train arrived at 8:40 so I was there at 8:30. And realized we never said WHERE at the train station. And the anxiety started sinking in. 8:40 came and went, and I got more anxious. Did I miss her? Is she standing in the cold waiting for me? Like an idiot I didn't get her number yesterday; my supervisor AND my boss both got panicked messages from me this morning: "Did she call? Please give her my number!" And of course, both didn't respond. In my head I'm going "Omg, she is going to think I'm an a$$hole." So I drove back and forth around the entire area looking for her.

Her train was 7 minutes late. That's all. She walked out of the exit just as I was driving past the front of the train station again.

When she got in the car I told her what had happened and turns out she was just as anxious! She realized she had no way of contacting ME, and what if *I* wasn't there, etc. And the both of us wound up laughing about it. And that, I think, is the crux of the issue. I know I'm going to get wound up about such situations, but am in a place where I can laugh at myself afterwards. You're in a different place regarding these things; instead of being able to find some humor in these situations, or at least some peace afterwards, the negative aspects overwhelm you. So yes, I would definitely look into talking to a psychiatrist when you are able; I think you'll be able to get some help and some relief with one.

I don't know if I would take one or not. My brain may be bad but now it's who I am .

If one sentence from a Dr has made me totally wonder who I am, I am not sure I would survive a pill which changed me......

New Threads

Top Bottom