• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Took A Stand For Us- I think?

There is an article today in the Travel section of USA Today newspaper about "the right to quiet" for travelers, written by Christopher Elliott. You can access it at usatoday.com.

I like that guy! I just looked him up. I never heard of him before. Kind of like Clark Howard. I bookmarked that. I may contact him depending on what I hear back.

You all have really made me see that we should not have to grovel. I do think they like me at my gym and respect me, so I am hoping , especially since I offered to help, that they will work with me and make a place for many others like us! Both NT and auties and neurodiverse!

Good job!!! Well done! Yes, you did fantastic! :) this letter was very successful with the gym! Hooray!

Important: now that I am dating, I've learned that... Every restaurant-- EVERY single one of them-- that I've asked to lower the music, has done so.

Gyms, restaurants, and grocery stores CAN and WILL turn down that awful "music" chaos so we can remain in the environment and access the same resources.

Mainly, all that is needed is "Could you please turn down that music? I have a neurological condition (or autism, or sensory processing disorder, etc.) and it gives me sensory overload."
Done.
Disclosing a disability, even if you are vague about the specifics, gives you a reason behind the request.

Supermarkets-- Go to Customer Service first thing upon arrival.
Restaurants, Cafes, Gyms-- front desk or tell server upon your arrival.

Quietude to eat, shop, work out and think... is a good thing. :)
I am heartened by some of your recent posts warm heart. :)I have not had the same success in getting people to turn down speaker systems.

There are some people like myself who either enjoy the music playing or can tune it out. I'm glad I don't have that problem. I am aware that there is a significant number of people who are hypersensitive to sounds, tastes, and smells, and I'm so glad I don't have that problem. I can't imagine what kind of life I would have otherwise.

It might be worth considering going to a gym that is 24-7 if the one you are at is not already like that, and then maybe considering going to the gym at night, like midnight or 3 AM if you are an early bird. At times like these, the demand is low and it would be a good time to have or request a quiet time at the gym too.

Oh, and I don't personally have an iPod and when I try to use my iPhone, my headphones tend to slip out a lot and I don't get to enjoy music anyway unfortunately because of that. So, it's like you can't win in a way, lol.

You sir, are the future of our cause! You are the bravest out of all of us! You stood for what WE ALL believe in, put your foot down and let everyone there know we are the Voice Of A Song Unsung!

I will remember your actions for years to come, Fellow Sufferer! Thank you!

#CogitoErgoSum
#WeAreTheVoice
#ThySandIsThySoul

i really want it to happen then it might happen in the UK there is a gym in east London specifically for disabled people is not funded by the government so it could happen
OK, so you know how it has been hell in the gym. They are playing that screeching music loud, so loud it drowns out your ipod. After being there, I felt like I wanted to scream and once I hit sensory overload WHILE THERE and melted down. remember, this was my safe place so it's extra horrible for me. Part of my routine and safe!! Not now.

So I contacted the CEO and branch manager and spilled my guts with a very well put together letter which was not slamming or raving. It explained I have a head injury with neuro sequelae predicated on autism and explained that the trouble with sensory over load extends to and other neuro disorders. And the eldery generally have a trouble with that crap.

I then asked if it would be possible to offer quiet times for those who cannot tolerate that constant bombardment of music that can throw us into sensory overload. I mentioned how many cases of head injuries a year and how there are increasing cases of autism.

I also offered, if they did this, to be a voice for that program and contact places like the autism societies nearby, elderly centres, brain injury centres and even military organizations which may have people dealing with mtbis. In short, I offered my help to make it a success.

Now I feel vulnerable but I also feel I did the right thing. I do not think I should be ashamed for my troubles. maybe they should be for being thoughtless when not one person there was without their own music to DROWN THAT CRAP OUT.

Anyway, do you guys think I did the right thing? I hear that many of you would find that music intolerable as well. But I also hear that a lot of you would rather have bad music than no music, so I am not sure I represented us as accurate as I thought. So now I just feel like I am outvoted and have to move back to a place I hated to get to the other gym which is quiet.

The environment of this place has TOTALLY changed. It was a peaceful place and now it's like a madhouse, all edgy, people grabbing at the weights, no more being polite because no one can hear you now. People used to talk and say HI and some even shared about their life, their faiths, their families.

Now it's "Get the F outta my way buddy. You got the 30lb weight! Hurry the F up"

<sigh> Would love feedback.

Let's all take a valuable note from OkRad here. It's people like him that give us something to believe in.

Yes you have done the right thing. I admire your bravery for doing so. Making the world a better place one step at a time.

Music is noise pollution when its blaring out loud in public places............! Truly horrible and irritating.....!

New Threads

Top Bottom