• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I need to discuss this

HDLSeanWiley

Follow Uncle Gadget, Brain!
my parents always wanted me to be normal, and to prove it, they called my mumbling "silly talking" when i was 5 and 6, and they hired a practitioner who would yell at me for stimming in my own house. now i've developed a habit of not being comfortable being myself around them at all. my parents overall don't know much about autism since they talk to me in so many ways that autistics shouldn't ever have to be talked to. last year it got bad to where dad accused me of not wanting to have my job because we were leaving at a time he didn't want to leave at so he could take me to work, even though we weren't gonna be late. my emotions completely went blank at that point and i punched him in the eye and caused it to bleed.

I hear you loud and clear and know so much of what you are going through.

I have heard of some really outrageous "apparent" good reasoning that make me want to hit out too; but I don't, because, well, I guess it is not in me to physically attack; although mentally, many would be dead!

The problem is quite simple and we all do this ourselves. If a person looks normal, then nothing is accepted ie no sympathy or trying to help. But as soon as someone looks abnormal, then help comes pouring in.

With classic autism, one can clearly see that one is autistic; but with aspergers, the higher the spectrum, the closer one is to classic autism and so, they do manifest certain visual traits, but the lower on the spectrum, the closer to being almost NT looking, but the traits are not the same and so, those NT's see a "normal" looking person who to them is behaving wickedly and must be stamped out.

I find it hard to regulate my sound. Like if I am in a different room to my husband, I will raise my voice, but as I get closer, my voice does not adapt to that proximity and thus, I am just as loud and will get: you are right here now, you can lower your voice. He doesn't say it in a kind way though, but I acknowledged ( reluctantly) that perhaps I would get irritated too and so, just lower my volume.

I used to stim with embarrassment, but that was because I had no idea what I was doing and now I do know, I stim openly but actually, only become aware of it, sometime into stimming.

I don't think I mumble, but I do find it hard to find a word. So if I am trying to describe where to find something, often the actual name of what the something is on or in, completely escapes me.

But by far the worst, is nonsensical reasoning; I have a hard time wrapping my head around that and do react badly.

I can relate to some of this. My Dad mocked my tics when I was growing up. He would copy me, tell me people would make fun of me at school (something which had never happened) and come up with names that people might use to mock me with.

Because of this, I have become very good at suppressing my tics when around my parents (mostly my Dad). It's easier to hide it than take the chance that he would mock me or make a snide comment.

I am glad you posted this, but sad you have to deal with it. I am CRUSHED by this. I started in therapy many years ago and it was a long trail of abuse and shaming. Back int he 80's there was a ton of shaming us out of our troubles. I was told I was killing my parents. My psych notes are littered with things like "Pt is sitting in room chewing gum loudly as if no one is watching....." WTFH? I did not have a right to chew gum as I wanted? Define "loud". How close were you spying on me to HEAR my chewing?!

Pt refused to talk to manipulate group (HUH? I was zoning out most likely). Pt talked too much and dominated. Patinet ATE A CARROT in between meals. (WTF??) Patient walking corrridor. Patient dressing like a slob. Patient wearing inapporirate clothes. Patient dressed too young for age. Patient inappororaite eye contact. ON AND ON AND ON........................

To make it worse......these were people who had their own issues and suddenly had power. They were sleeping with each other in the gropu home I was in and trying to sleep with patients. Another trolled churches to find little girls to fondle and one of the girls even ended up killing herself. .........

BUT CHEWING GUM LOUDLY? Wearing clothes I like is BAD. Eating a carrot? Criminal!!! What a terrible, horrible person I am!!

So now? When I am in public, there is a huge grind stone arpound my body, weighing me down into the concrete. I don't even want to look at people and if someoen is nice to me, I cannot accept it or understand why they wouild be nice to me. I am a slob, a horror, a genetic reject slogging on and killing everyone with my toxic glances.

OK, that is how it feels now.

When I was 5 or 6, I was laying on the floor while my practitioner was going to be reading, and I was yelled at for doing so. It wasn't like I wasn't gonna listen to the story, and my mom actually took pictures of it. It made me cry and my mom also took pictures of that too.

I don't know want to say but I busted wanted to say your story brought a tear to my eye. Chin up you are a strong person for getting through.

Yeah, been there, done that.

It was worst during school... I could never pay attention, as the lessons almost always were about things I didnt care about. So I'd sit there and space out or stim somehow, and... yeah, that caused issues.

Or there was PE class (we just called it Gym Class). Sports were confusing, overwhelming, and I also simply didnt care. They also would have meant too much interaction with other students, most of whom I didnt like. Me being exceedingly stubborn and generally fiery, I just outright refused to do a bloody thing when it came to sports. Heck, I remember one time when they were playing football (American football, that is), and of course I'm stuck on a team despite not doing a bloody thing, and the stupid ball lands near me, aaaaaaaand.... I simply kicked it in a random direction as far as I could, because I'd been getting more than a little frustrated with their attempts to get me to do that crap.

Eventually this led to me being placed in a side group: when everyone else was doing their stupid sports, I'd just walk around the track or something. Or on Tuesdays and Thursdays, I and a few others would go by bus to a nearby driving range, and hit golf balls. This led to the odd situation where on those days, I'd carry around a big metal golf club the ENTIRE TIME (as I never went to my locker). Incidentally, I never got bullied on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

And then much later on, well.... employment. Uuuuuuugh. Tended to be the same issues: Couldnt focus, stimmed alot, absolutely did not want to be there, and sure as heck couldnt handle long shifts. Even just a four hour shift was seriously stretching it. The only job I ever had that involved longer shifts I was able to do was working at a bank, operating a check-sorting machine, which is a huge complicated machine that's supposed to sort checks but spends most of it's time chewing them up, spraying them around the room, or coming up with an endless variety of ways to screw up. Loopy thing kept me on my toes and mentally engaged (even if I wanted to beat it with a vacuum cleaner sometimes) so I was able to deal with longer shifts. But that job was a temp thing, one year and it was over no matter what, and getting a job doing that at another bank was impossible (very, very few bank locations actually have a check sorter, as one pair of sorters handles checks for a huuuuuuuge number of connected banks). After that? Hoboy. One failed mess after another. My stepfather in particular was always yelling at me. To everyone around me, I just seemed lazy, or uncaring, as I just kept losing one job after another. Mostly, I was just miserable and lost at most any job. Eventually the autism diagnosis came around, and all of that (including the jobs themselves) instantly stopped, as everyone finally understood.

Well, MOSTLY stopped. I do of course have to be constantly on edge when out in public. Cant be freaking weird around others, can I? Well, it's not weird to me, but it sure seems to be to everyone else. Bah. I get really tired of having to be careful about that, so I just dont go out much.

Should I have laid on the floor? Maybe not. But yelling and proceeding to make it so I could see that awful moment forever is just wrong.

I do of course have to be constantly on edge when out in public. Cant be freaking weird around others, can I? Well, it's not weird to me, but it sure seems to be to everyone else. Bah. I get really tired of having to be careful about that, so I just dont go out much.

I could have written this myself.

New Threads

Top Bottom