• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I have the worst job for an autistic person ever

Ruby_Aspergic

You know that annoying person that always calls during dinner to try and get you to talk politics with them?

THAT IS ME. And I have to make at least a hundred calls in a sitting, usually doing around 400 a week.

The dread that these stupid calls cause me is ruining my life.

Aww, hang in there.

Working in the children's museum was usually great (lots of stimulation in forms that I like), but sometimes it was overstimulating, especially if it got really crowded. Working birthday parties was also a challenge because I had to deal with often not-happy parents. It was mostly pretty good though.

Now my job sometimes seems as therapeutic for me as it is for my little one.

Hopefully you find a new job soon, if this one is too stressful. Until then, hang in there! (You're probably learning some skills from doing it, if that's any consolation...)

Hang in there, O madness, or cut the rope and be free. -_-

I wish I could work at a museum too. But kids usually, organically, feel stronger than me and would make fun of me down to the ocean floor. ^_^

I can't even order my own pizza or make my own doctors appointments. It's hell, and it's UNPAID hell. But I can't quit because I need the work experience. :(

:( Maybe it'll help you adjust and overcome your phone issues?

...or maybe not.

That was what I was hoping for when I took the job. But it's been three months and it's not any better. It takes me 6 hours to do 3 hours of work because it is so painful for me to force myself through it, so it is completely absorbing my life.

Oh, geez, that sucks. How much 'experience' do you need? Three months sounds like enough to know the ropes?

I need to stay on until the end of April, longer if they'll let me but the internship is intended to be from january to april. The job market is so competitive that all that matters is what's on your resume, and this is the only experience I have with a company that is relevant to my field. If I graduate without significant work experience in my field my loans will go into repayment and I'll be unemployed. I'd like to ask my boss for something else to do but this is really what I was hired to do so I'm afraid if I do that he'll just fire me.

You'd hope they can see how difficult it is for you! Unless they're sadists, however, have to assume they can't. So, it may be worth asking to change jobs.

We do most of our work from home, so the only difficulty he has seen is that I have a tendency to not be able to get through all my assigned calls. They just take me so long to get through because I have to take panic attack and vomit breaks every few minutes that it isn't feasible to fit them all in. He knows they take me an abnormally long time, and he knows I have HFA but doesn't really understand what that means--I had to tell him because it looked as though I wasn't paying attention at our incredibly informal "staff meetings" that are basically social events because I wasn't making the appropriate amount of eye contact and wasn't talking very much-- if we were actually doing business you'd never know I'm autistic, but turn it into a social gathering and it's like a switch is flipped. But I am hesitant to let him know how bad it is, because I'll basically be saying, "I am incapable of performing the job I was hired to do," and I don't see that going very well for me. At my age it just isn't acceptable to not have work experience and entry level positions in my field are unpaid internships, so if I don't get through it now I'll have to do it later when I have a $1000 a month student loan payment.

I did tell him that I needed a bit more flexibility in the number of calls because if you count up all my obligations during the week, I have gone from 20 hours a week to 65 in a matter of days, and though I've managed since January I am really struggling to keep up with school. I can do it, but I am not sleeping during the week at all and eventually I am going to get sick. He said it would be okay if we were involved on a more limited capacity if necessary when he hired us so I thought it was okay. He said we would talk about it a week ago and we haven't. So now I don't know what to think. If he can't cut my hours I have to quit, that will be a deal breaker because I have to do well in class, but I just have to get away from these phone calls. I wish he would let me write, or research, or work online, or organize more events. Organizing events is mostly what we do, but he only has the interns do one or two events and he does all the rest himself and has us promote. I am SO good at event planning, it is one of my best skills, if he'd just let me do ANYTHING else but these stupid phone calls I'd be excelling and would be an asset to the organization but I am just sucking at everything right now. :(

My boss just said that he won't cut my hours, so I am going to try to make it to the end of March, which is three full months, and then see if I can make it through April to wrap it up. It'll just depend on how the next week or two goes I guess. I really need to have this guy as a reference. :\

Sounds like a bit of a dick tbh if he's ignorant to what the job is doing to you.

I just want to send you a virtual hug. I tried doing something like that, but when my first call came about, I simply could not do it. :|

That sucks Ruby :(.
Just think that soon all of it will just be a memory and not matter.
IDK if that's just depressing but that's what I think when I have to do something I don't want to do, unless I think I'm going to die doing it, then I start to panic a bit. But rarely do I think that.
That's what got me through my work exp. which was like a sales assistant or something. Selling stuff and customer advice or w.e.
EMZ=]

It will matter because I am in danger of flunking out of school in my last semester before law school applications, my options are: keep job, possibly get fired and possibly flunk out, or don't keep job and lose the only career connections I have and be unemployed forever.

I think I phrased it wrongly.
What I meant was that the frustration you're feeling now will just be a memory and only something you merely observe as opposed to feel after April. If that makes any sense?
EMZ=]

Yes, that does. I dunno, we'll see. I am going to talk to a career adviser at school and see what they think of my employment chances if I quit now.

Surely someone recognized with the level of intellect you describe wouldn't have their prospects ruined by dropping one instance of work experience?

New Threads

Top Bottom