• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I find it mentally draining to keep up with the news

pelecanus87

Trying to see if people here relate.

For one, I get mentally fatigued pretty quickly, so that doesn't help. But also, I think I don't like to feel "forced" to invest my energy into understanding a current news story just because it's current. Rather than focusing on what's current, I feel like I would rather just read about something I happen to be in the mood to read about.

I tried to get into politics, but I just lack the desire to keep up with everything everyday.

Do you relate? What is this like for you?

I don't own a TV. ;) When I am on the phone, I have limited ability to tolerate chit-chat or gossip. If I need information, ok, but it costs me too much mentally to listen to he-sad/she-said. I don't get a newspaper.
I do go online to read the news, in small bits, when I can. In this way, I stay informed enough.

Trying to see if people here relate.

For one, I get mentally fatigued pretty quickly, so that doesn't help. But also, I think I don't like to feel "forced" to invest my energy into understanding a current news story just because it's current. Rather than focusing on what's current, I feel like I would rather just read about something I happen to be in the mood to read about.

I tried to get into politics, but I just lack the desire to keep up with everything everyday.

Do you relate? What is this like for you?
i don,t read the news a whole lot because alot of what is in the news is negative and downer stuff. And im into politics a little like i know what party i belong to and what i think politicaly wise but besides that politics are boring.

I've taught myself to keep up with the news as it gives me a good topic of conversation when I'm in social situations. I already tend to feel like a bit of an outcast, so I try to be up to date on current events so I don't feel left out when they're discussed. I just pick subjects that are interesting to me or that I think are important.
I canceled my newspaper subscription years ago though, because I never got around to reading it, so now I just stick with mobile articles from my preferred news station.
I used to watch a summary of the news while getting ready for work in the morning to keep me up to date, now I just skim headlines on my phone and pick a few items to read. It's my little ritual between waking up and actually getting out of bed.

I am very interested in keeping up with the news and current affairs. It's not interesting for everyone and that's fine.

It's complicated. :eek::eek::eek:

I have to keep up with a global economy to maintain my investments, or subject them to possible loss. Though acting on perceived instability can and has cost me a great deal of money.

Shying me away from international exposures, but still leaving me at risk in an incredibly turbulent domestic political environment which may last for years.

Reading the headlines these days is just one headache after another. Making it very difficult for me to live one day at a time. :(

I am very interested in keeping up with the news and current affairs. It's not interesting for everyone and that's fine.
I find that A)a lot of the stories don't seem that important B)even if a story is important, it has a lot of OTHER information that doesn't seem very important. I just can't seem to convince myself that a lot of these nuances are important to me. I guess there difference between people like you and me is you're just naturally interested, but I don't get it.

Well with how it's all going now it's hard not to be vaguely up to date with the news. People on social media are forever sharing news stories about the latest shenanigans by bone-headed politicians. Honestly it's exceedingly draining for anyone liberal. There's only so much negative stories you can allow into your life before it taxes the brain into oblivion.

Dip into the news maybe once a fortnight and keep it at that. It's all very depressing.

I also don't own a TV. The last time I watched TV news, it just seemed like "horrorshow - horrorshow - inane smile/joke - horrorshow - horrorshow - story about cute baby panda befriending cockroach - another feeble attempt at a joke - commercials". Depressing, yes, maybe even soul-destroying...

Reading the news is a lot better, though; you can choose how much detail you want and what you want read about.

This week I've abandoned being glued to the news for the Weather Channel. Much of San Jose along the Coyote Creek is flooded all the way to Milpitas. I doubt more than one percent of these people even have flood insurance.

Flood warnings here as well, but so far it's mostly just snowed today.

One heck of a winter season for so many. :eek:

It's not a priority for me, but I do like to keep in the loop every now and then. It gets old reading what's essentially the same stuff over and over - someone getting killed, hearing about Trump for the 1,000th time, war this, war that....

Everything but the weather. That much I can appreciate on a day to day basis :)

I get too wound up by the news, and since the US election I've scaled back as it costs me to watch as I care too much.

Global warming and Australian deforestation are particular pain points for me,

It's hard to be a lefty these days with all the far right wing craziness about.

I avoid the news because generally it is downbeat. I listen to the radio a lot so I do kind of half-hear stuff but like where I live, local news and that, there could be a murder in the town and I'd never know about it. I like to focus on good news where possible, some time ago I did find a website, I think it may have been called Positive News but I admit I have stopped viewing it, I must do so again!

i never watch the news,its very freeing and causes less anxiety in your life-i recommend it to everyone.
i dont have any interest in news unless it is online and about autism/ID etc and i dont understand politics,but a lot of the time when i go to my dads house [i go most days] he has the news on,he is aspie and absolutely obsessed with the news he will watch it through out the day and night and he shuts you up if you even dare make a slight noise during it and will rewind it which makes you have to sit through that crap again.

I cannot bear the news; either listening/watching or reading about it. I don't watch TV but when listening to the radio I almost break my neck getting to my radio, to turn it off, when the news comes on.

It's the same news every day, war, politics, more war and even more politics then perhaps a bit of weather...:rolleyes:

It's far too depressing for me, although I do peek at the BBC news website occasionally, when I am feeling really brave..

New Threads

Top Bottom