• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hypothetical question.

Aspieistj

Is it OK to laugh at a person with Down Syndrome if he/she can't learn Algebra? Of course not! I am absolutely fuming after watching another episode of "Doc Martin" which is a BBC production shown on USA public television, PBS. The program is considered a comedy and the main character is a terribly socially inept doctor whose Aspie behavior angers and upsets the simple village folk. They are certain the doctor is a boor and no one seems to care or notice that the man is a very conscientious doctor and also a terribly strange man. It has been suggested on one or two occasions that the doctor has AS. However, that concept isn't explored and the doctor, in every episode, continues to make a fool of himself because he functions poorly in social situations. His parents cared nothing about him and he grew up in boarding schools. He was brilliant, so he became a surgeon. For some reason, his boorish behavior was tolerated or overlooked while he was a surgeon. When the doctor developed a blood phobia and gave up being a surgeon, he was forced to become a GP in a small Cornish village. The program follows his terribly unhappy life as he can't or won't acknowledge his condition. How is that funny????? I am fed up with comedies that feature AS people as buffoons!

Is it OK to laugh at a person with Down Syndrome if he/she can't learn Algebra? Of course not!

The question could also be; "Do people laugh at this person?".. and the answer is most likely "Yes!". The fact that it might be despicable to make fun of such a person is a totally different matter.

Also; is this character an aspie? Or is he socially inept?

The fact that his behavior does rub people the wrong way and doesn't qualify as humor, yet it is being perceived as humor apparently (never seen that show) does show you that humor is a broad spectrum. I guess the same thing could be said about the "comedy" a show like The big bang theory shows. There, we have a character who shows a lot of aspie traits and yet he is the star of the show because of his sheer weirdness, yet I've also seen people complain how he's not remotely funny and even some aspies who complained that he's putting AS in a bad light because he's way too "over the top".

It's not a comedy. It's a family oriented light drama.

Louisa loves him and tries her best to look beyond his faults and educate him.

BTW, it really is that beautiful there. I holiday there as there is a lot of good surfing and cycling nearby.

If you want to look it up on Google Earth it is filmed in Port Isaac, Cornwall

That program doesn't air on our PBS here, so I looked it up on YouTube. To me, personally, from what I saw, I merely saw an oddball doctor. I don't think it was a slam against Aspies. Frankly, some of the guy's behavior made me chuckle, but then my doctor is from England; he makes me chuckle with his dry sense of humor. The program appears to me as a "light drama" as Andy mentioned.
Still, the main theme of the program is what an idiot the doctor is as he moves among "normal" people. No one considers why he is so different and for the most part, the villagers are constantly annoyed by him and never ask themselves why the man is so strange. They just think he needs to behave normally. No one seems to care that he is always on the outside, or sees his pain. If you consider the doctor's pain in this light, nobody gives a damn about or tries to understand why he is so socially handicapped. I guess I just want the ugly duckling to become a swan. Every episode makes me cringe recalling my lifetime of pain and rejection. All my life, I have championed the underdog whenever possible. How cruel are the fortunate people who have the good fortune of being born "normal." How self centered they are. It seems the human race is quite selfish and cruel. Is this just some terrible component of "survival of the fittest?" There is a recurring thread in the program as various misfits are portrayed. Why is the constable so inept? Why have there been some children who are particularly annoying? A mentally disturbed chemist? Several characters are mentally unstable. Maybe there is more to the series than a group of odd people bumbling through life?

In perfect honesty, I really like that show. I don't see it as laughing at Aspieness, but rather as laughing at the misunderstandings between different people.

Also, while the character is an Aspie, he is also incredibly rude. His rudeness is not caused by his Aspieness. His semi-deliberate rudeness, not his Aspieness, is the main reason he doesn't get along with the characters.

Also, he really is the hero of the show and the audience is supposed to like him.

In perfect honesty, I really like that show. I don't see it as laughing at Aspieness, but rather as laughing at the misunderstandings between different people. Also, while the character is an Aspie, he is also incredibly rude. His rudeness is not caused by his Aspieness. His semi-deliberate rudeness, not his Aspieness, is the main reason he doesn't get along with the characters.
QUOTE]
Interesting point. Thank you for the thought. I am an Aspie and I am definitely not rude even when I believe the person to whom I am speaking is ridiculous. Maybe the way to enjoy this program is as an exercise in understanding people's personality differences and the misunderstandings they create. OMG!!!!!! Am I unable to "see" what this program is about because I am an Aspie?

OMG!!!!!! Am I unable to "see" what this program is about because I am an Aspie?

Could well be. But I wouldn't beat yourself up about it if that's the case. It just reflects how dynamic being on the spectrum can actually be. I'm constantly amazed by what I can process and what I can't, despite my intellect and sense of awareness. It's not something which can be pigeonholed with some black and white explanation.

For what it's worth, I suspect this is one dynamic of autism that is especially difficult for a Neurotypical to comprehend. After all, even we don't really get it at times...given the variety our behaviors can be on a somewhat broad spectrum. It's no simple concept to me!

Could well be. But I wouldn't beat yourself up about it if that's the case. It just reflects how dynamic being on the spectrum can actually be. I'm constantly amazed by what I can process and what I can't, despite my intellect and sense of awareness. It's not something which can be pigeonholed with some black and white explanation.

For what it's worth, I suspect this is one dynamic of autism that is especially difficult for a Neurotypical to comprehend. After all, even we don't really get it at times...given the variety our behaviors can be on a somewhat broad spectrum. It's no simple concept to me!
Boy, is that true. I have a friend, who was even once a psychiatric nurse, who can't comprehend why I can't just switch and become normal now that I know I am an Aspie. I can't tell you how many times she has prefaced a remark or suggestion with, "Nance, can't you just remember not to do that again?"

I',m now watching, for the first time, the episode of Doc Martin where somebody (not an expert) tells him he has Aspergers! The funny thing is, the guy keeps pronouncing it wrong, like the Ecclesiastical Latin prononciation of Asperges. (i guess that only means something to those of you familiar with Ecclesiastical latin)

Haven't seen it. Sounds like very NT-centric fare. Might not translate for us. Also, they might not view it as cruel, as the main character might not be, in the context of the series, strictly or fully human. The role might just be a static foil for the others to act against. You might not be meant to identify with the character at all, and maybe most do not. I have seen other entertainments like this. Sometimes I take them personally.

Ste11AERES--Ecclesiastical Latin is what I believe I have called "Church Latin." It is different in pronunciation from my High School Latin. In that episode I thought the strange pronunciation of Aspergers was strange to my ears because the character spoke with a regional English accent. I am a nurse and very many medical terms pronounced on this show are very different from American English.

New Threads

Top Bottom