• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to pretend you like your job & co-workers

waterrain

Hi all!

In the past I've gotten alot of flack for not knowing how to pretend.
For example I am participating in this voc rehab program.
The recommendation of the counselor is I go volunteer
for six months then I can go to school.

I think they are just using me to volunteer so they can
pat themselves on the back and say they didn't allow
me to go to school for free

There reason for making me volunteer first is to "just see how you work with others".
My bs radar is on alert level red.

I don't know how to go about pretending my way through this volunteer
food bank job. I suspect I will have to be all cheery and happy
I understand it logically you know people like to work happy.
But the truth is I will loathe every minute of this because it will not be in the field
I wish to go in IT.

I guess you would have to just bear and grin it and be all cherry and happy until you could find some way of getting to work in the field you want to :( At least on the bright side you gain experience in what to do if you come across more difficult co-workers right ?

Yes, I'll put forth my best effort! My logic system and normal people's
emotional/pretend system always clash lol. Will give it a good try though.

Hmm tough question/s. When I entered Voc Rehab, I think I got a job on my own so my "membership" or whatever
was terminated. If someone here has more experience with Voc Rehab they can help you.

Volunteering-depending on your legal/medical status [what your intentions are per potential disability or going back to work] volunteering can be a jumping off start point. The ole "get something recent on your resume." However you mentioned IT and wouldn't it be great if you could volunteer in an IT environment? Since I never worked for the State in placing people in jobs/vocations, I'm at a loss for advice.

But my experience and having heard so many others complain about laziness/uncaring on the part of State employees is something to consider. Asking the question "will this help me get closer to my goal" is paramount.
Go with your gut feeling...some State/County workers don't give a **** imo.

Here's how you get thru it: if you really want to go to school and THEY will send you to school [hopefully they are not BS you] then take a volunteer position and say to yourself "how would I act if I was the owner here?" Take a piece of crap volunteer position [sorry for the grammar] and outwork everyone if possible.

That is, if it fits into your goals. I've made so many mistakes in the past but one thing I learned was a career is made up of building blocks [referrals, attitude, going upwards 1 or 2 steps at a time, etc.] Good luck!!!!!!

Hi all!

There reason for making me volunteer first is to "just see how you work with others".

But the truth is I will loathe every minute of this because it will not be in the field
I wish to go in IT.

Hmm tough question/s. When I entered Voc Rehab, I think I got a job on my own so my "membership" or whatever
was terminated. If someone here has more experience with Voc Rehab they can help you.

Volunteering-depending on your legal/medical status [what your intentions are per potential disability or going back to work] volunteering can be a jumping off start point. The ole "get something recent on your resume." However you mentioned IT and wouldn't it be great if you could volunteer in an IT environment? Since I never worked for the State in placing people in jobs/vocations, I'm at a loss for advice.

But my experience and having heard so many others complain about laziness/uncaring on the part of State employees is something to consider. Asking the question "will this help me get closer to my goal" is paramount.
Go with your gut feeling...some State/County workers don't give a **** imo.

Here's how you get thru it: if you really want to go to school and THEY will send you to school [hopefully they are not BS you] then take a volunteer position and say to yourself "how would I act if I was the owner here?" Take a piece of crap volunteer position [sorry for the grammar] and outwork everyone if possible.

That is, if it fits into your goals. I've made so many mistakes in the past but one thing I learned was a career is made up of building blocks [referrals, attitude, going upwards 1 or 2 steps at a time, etc.] Good luck!!!!!!

Yep tricky situation indeed. I would be crushed if I spent 6mo and at the end they
didn't offer school as they promised. I don't think working at food bank will get me
any closer to my goal. I'm feeling like a see saw this weekend yay then nay oh decisions decisions.....

Yes, I'll put forth my best effort! My logic system and normal people's
emotional/pretend system always clash lol. Will give it a good try though.

I didn't mean to offend :/ I was just trying to say that something better might come along and that there's always sunshine after the storm ... Sorry ...

Yup, could be a bureaucratic catch 22...or something like that. Just to get you out of their hair. I would ask why a food bank? Why six months? What guarantee do I have you will then send me to school? Oh...ok can you put that in writing? The benefit I see is that any recent volunteer position gives you a referral. Wish others here with more experience in Voc Rehab can weigh in with their experience.

Yep tricky situation indeed. I would be crushed if I spent 6mo and at the end they
didn't offer school as they promised. I don't think working at food bank will get me
any closer to my goal. I'm feeling like a see saw this weekend yay then nay oh decisions decisions.....

I've been working with a vocational rehabilitation counselor myself. Actually, they've been quite helpful. Doing either volunteer work or paid work for a period of time is pretty standard procedure. I bypassed that, since I already work a part time job, and my counselor has been extremely helpful in getting me into school. Did they give you a skills evaluation?

I've been working with a vocational rehabilitation counselor myself. Actually, they've been quite helpful. Doing either volunteer work or paid work for a period of time is pretty standard procedure. I bypassed that, since I already work a part time job, and my counselor has been extremely helpful in getting me into school. Did they give you a skills evaluation?

Ok, I didn't know that was standard procedure.

Hi all!

I wish to go in IT.
From my experience your BS radar is right on target. Most job placement counselors have little or no experience placing Aspies in suitable jobs. Their main goal is to fill their monthly quota. Their success is tied to "bodies placed per month" so any placement is a successful placement whether it is suitable or not. In the not too distant future we will have counselors who specialize in the placement of High Functioning Autistic people in the workforce. They will be able to assess your strengths and weaknesses and match you with real jobs that demand the skills and talent that make you unique: your ability to analyze data patterns or solve problems that NT folks do not even see as problems [think hackers and ID thieves] and to deep dive into current solutions to solve problems that may save their company $billions. So don't let yourself be typecast as "mentally deficient" now or that label will stick to you the rest of your life.

Pretending you like your job when you don't is expected by the confusing neurotypical world. I just can't do it. I don't have the patience or tolerance to do that kind of daily acting.

I guess I'm fortunate that I drive for a living. I quickly get my paperwork from dispatch and go sit in my vehicle until start time. This way I don't have to play act with the others.

Doing volunteer work is better than doing nothing, as this can be used as relevant job experience on your resume.
One thing you can try to do on your own (show your counselor independence; your counselor may not have these kind of connections and can't be expected to understand IT enough to be able to advocate why you should have the volunteering opportunity, so you should do it yourself) is look for a volunteering opportunity in IT, or maybe a company you want to work for, offer to work for free in that company for the remaining amount of time you have for your volunteering or a minimum of 3 months. Then if you get this IT volunteer opportunity, you can leave the food opportunity. This is a way to try to get your foot in the door possibly.

Public Service Advisory: The thread is about 2 years old. Op hasn't been around for a year. ;)

I don't have to pretend, I actually like my Bosses up at the PDSA, well Aaron's a nice enough bloke, and I actually fancy Gemma, the Manageress, she's gorgeous and rather fit, she looks good in a dress anyway :D

New Threads

Top Bottom