• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How stubborn are you?

On a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being not stubborn, 10 being an immovable object, where are you?

• Total voters

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
I wonder is Aspie's are prone to stubbornness?

I'm very easy going simply because I'm not that bothered one way or the other about most things.

However, with things that are important to me, I am utterly immovable. I'm like the terminator, and I'll never stop, never give up until I get where I want to be or get destroyed by a bigger, better terminator.

I wondered to a friend whether she thought I was stubborn (I wasn't sure at the time). Her response was that I'm the most stubborn person she's ever met, and that is really saying something.

I took that as a yes.

Also as a compliment:D

I'm a 10.

(note - public poll)

The scale doesn't go high enough! I'm a 5,000 :)

And it is definitely a mental thing: I am stubborn, but it is also because I literally cannot think any other way about a subject. How can I possibly act like I don't know Principle A or Insight B? I can't even pretend; I have such a strong sense of "to thine own self be true."

Depends on the person, if I like them then I'm fine with changing my ideas or plans, but if I don't like them then it doesn't matter how good their arguments are, I will literally never agree with them.

I'm pretty stubborn. Other people would probably rate my stubbornness higher than I do myself. Sometimes I'm just stubborn out of principle.

When I was 15 I was given the choice to either hand over my mobile phone or get out of the house.

I still had my phone.

I'm the same now, if I have made a decision I usually stick to it, especially if I'm pushed to change my mind, even if I know that particular decision was wrong.

Presently, I exist on this unprecedented shore of analysis paralysis.

My recent diagnosis overwhelmed me in areas that remain frozen in process.

This constant churning, sorting, thinking, storing, filing, shifting...

These days, I am more apt to shift a plan, make a spontaneous call, retract an idea, or apologize without need....

I lack the certainty to know if I make sense.

Feeling more fluid than fixed in my current state.

I always have an open mind (or at least try to, listening to opposing viewvoints is a good exercice) so when I encounter information that contradicts my views, I change them accordingly. However I'm rather stubborn when I think something is unfair... For example, I've been refusing to wear a bra for more than a year now, despite being told that it will hurt me socially. After all, why should I wear something I find uncomfortable only because I'm a woman? I started to (begrudgingly) wear them again, because it does harm me socially, and being autistic already makes me a victim of discrimination even from people who don't know about my autism, and I need to get a job... Someday I might take them off again, though.

I always have an open mind (or at least try to, listening to opposing viewvoints is a good exercice) so when I encounter information that contradicts my views, I change them accordingly. However I'm rather stubborn when I think something is unfair... For example, I've been refusing to wear a bra for more than a year now, despite being told that it will hurt me socially. After all, why should I wear something I find uncomfortable only because I'm a woman? I started to (begrudgingly) wear them again, because it does harm me socially, and being autistic already makes me a victim of discrimination even from people who don't know about my autism, and I need to get a job... Someday I might take them off again, though.
Have you tried wearing a sports bra rather than an underwired/cupped one? Its just a crop top then basically, they aren't as restrictive as normal bras

Have you tried wearing a sports bra rather than an underwired/cupped one? Its just a crop top then basically, they aren't as restrictive as normal bras
That's actually the ones I wear because they're the only one I can stand now, though before ditching them and having a taste of boob-freedom I was tolerating pretty much any of them even if they were causing mild injuries, but looking back I found them uncomfortable too. I guess it was just part of what was normal for me so I didn't question it. Also searching for a fitting bra is such a pain...

What really bothers me about it is that I'm forced to wear them and it makes no sense to me why it's so wrong to go bra-free. Society is so silly sometimes!

What really bothers me about it is that I'm forced to wear them and it makes no sense to me why it's so wrong to go bra-free. Society is so silly sometimes!

I can answer that.

It's because societies is still recovering from the trauma of Victorian and puritan values.

People a long time ago decided it was morally and spiritually wrong to enjoy anything sensory, so they made it sinful for anything that stirred up emotions or desires.

Large parts of human bodies stirs up desire in the opposite sex, so it was covered up in many layers.

We are slowly dismantling this stupidity, but it's taking generations to do it as each generation is brought up with strict taboos, and the next generation drops a layer, and keeps the one underneath.

Luckily for you girls, you're now down to your bra's, a few generations back you'd have had bustles and corsets too.

Not knocking corsets in the right place though ;)

I am highly susceptible to persuasion if I'm undecided but I'm stubbon to the point of ridiculous if someone tries to change my mind once it's made up.
That's not to say I'm closed minded. Not at all. I'm open to different points of view. But if i truly believe something I'll fight to the death.
I've also been known to hold fast out of spite. So....i guess I'm a 10.... but i can also be a 0. Man...i don't know!
Is there a poll for decisive vs indecisive? I can answer that one. I think...

Full steam forgot to use the stubbornness scale.

Stubbornness is measured in mules.

So how many mules is your stubbornness?

Mine is 8 mules.

10 is you refuse to take someone's hand to help you aboard a lifeboat because they have a woollen jumper.

8 is more like you say no because you can and you know you're supposed to say yes and you actually want to say yes but you already said no and will never say yes even if you lose your job.

2 is 'normal'

Full steam forgot to use the stubbornness scale.

Stubbornness is measured in mules.

So how many mules is your stubbornness?

Mine is 8 mules.

10 is you refuse to take someone's hand to help you aboard a lifeboat because they have a woollen jumper.

8 is more like you say no because you can and you know you're supposed to say yes and you actually want to say yes but you already said no and will never say yes even if you lose your job.

2 is 'normal'

Hilarious! Now if that woollen jumper had a distracting pattern or animal print on it ... why would anyone want to get into *that* boat?

Society is so silly sometimes!

This is still one of my biggest issues. I am certainly stubborn about following rules that make no sense to me. Especially when they actively cause me pain, as in your case.

We are slowly dismantling this stupidity, but it's taking generations to do it as each generation is brought up with strict taboos, and the next generation drops a layer, and keeps the one underneath.

I dream of the day I wear pajamas to work, like everyone else.

Hilarious! Now if that woollen jumper had a distracting pattern or animal print on it ... why would anyone want to get into *that* boat?

Or if the captain wore a hat.

I'm not sure you can trust people wearing hats.

I wears hats, and it makes me wonder if people trust me less in my hat.

This is still one of my biggest issues. I am certainly stubborn about following rules that make no sense to me. Especially when they actively cause me pain, as in your case.

I dream of the day I wear pajamas to work, like everyone else.

From memory I think Pajamas is a seven.

I'll have to look it up.

I never worked on the mule scale to be honest.

I was devising a stick insect scale for depression.

1. you've just been given a large tank full of happy stick insects.

5. your favourite stick insect, Dave has died.

10. Your stick insects had all died or left. The ones who left have reported you to the stick insect keepers council and you are banned from ever keeping stick insects again.

They also posted YouTube videos about what a rubbish stick insect keeper you are and how they all hate you.

Quite effective, but made people laugh when I was depressed.

New Threads

Top Bottom