• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How much self-directed education do you do? How do you do it?

Aspergirl4hire

Mage, Sage, Revolutionary
One of my steady obsessions is self-directed education. Like a lot of aspies, I've had problems with traditional schooling.

What kinds of things do you like to take on as self-education? What experiences have you had doing this? Is it easier working with a small group when it's self-directed, or do you need to go it alone? How do you know when you've had "enough?"

What have you learned recently that you're excited about? Or what's your current fascinating subject?

I started some programming study groups. It was going well until a hand injury prevented me from typing. I also go to a lot of tech meetups, which helps with motivation.

I always had problems with school, but I realized that most of the problems were related to social interactions and not necessarily the classes. More than self-study, I would like to go back to school, even though I'm a little older than most students. I'm hoping to enter a math program at a local community college as soon as I can. They offer a two-year math degree that can be finished in 1 to 4 semesters. I think that would give me enough structure to make fast progress...

The two things I keep teaching myself are art and website related, and they're pretty relaxed. Art is mostly practice and observation with a few tutorials and books here and there on evil Madame Perspective or texture tricks, sometimes I'll chat with some pros who are at the skill level I'm aiming for (and then die of a fangirl squeal if they compliment any of my work). When I dabble in websites, it's mostly born of curiosity and laziness than necessity. Laziness is the mother of invention, after all! Every now and then I may by a book, but mostly I nab stuff from tutorials or viewing the code of other sites. Works fine until PHP is concerned.

I kind of want to go back to college, but only on my own terms. No degree, only what classes I want, and at the pace I want. I really hate how these "online" classes require me to be physically present at the campus, and that is not a realistic option for us parents with underage children and no babysitters. Either let the kid on campus or let me take it online. If I'm paying for it, you are then my employee, not vice versa.

I was really absorbed by learning languages but now it has passed to a second priority. Now I am playing tennis with a professional female tennis player.

For being a software developer, it is very important self-directed for education. For me, I like learning in video form. I find sometimes it hard explain things effectively in written form.

I started some programming study groups. It was going well until a hand injury prevented me from typing. I also go to a lot of tech meetups, which helps with motivation.

I always had problems with school, but I realized that most of the problems were related to social interactions and not necessarily the classes. More than self-study, I would like to go back to school, even though I'm a little older than most students. I'm hoping to enter a math program at a local community college as soon as I can. They offer a two-year math degree that can be finished in 1 to 4 semesters. I think that would give me enough structure to make fast progress...

Interesting that you approached this by starting study groups. What makes the study groups different from social interactions at school?

About math...A senior manager of a software division told me that math is invaluable, not just for the obvious applicability, but the deeper changes that study makes in the thought process. Math majors and minors get a rigorous challenge in how to take apart and reassemble ideas and express them in a language that is symbolic, like words, but also measurable, like real things, and provable. I like math and wish I were better at it.

My study groups are unstructured. I let people know in advance that there is no leader or agenda. It's self-study in the company of like minded people. If someone has a question, just ask the group. Experienced people mentor the newbies.

In school I didn't know what was wrong. Selective mutism and miscommunication made things difficult. I can handle those things better now, because I have a better idea about where my limitations are. I still do have difficulty with those things in the study groups, but I push ahead with it anyways. I assume that I will regularly make a fool out of myself, but that's the price for personal development.

I like math because it's like programming without a computer. I have limited typing ability at the moment due to hand injuries.

Last edited:
As an Aspie I need to read; have a full specified text with the subject, hear; hear as much as I can of the subject even if I don't understand it at the moment, view; if there is an example I need to view it and redone it with a similar one, and think; this is tied with the view part 'cause I watch it until I clear my thoughts about its reasons to be or its origins, and also clear my doubts about it. It's quite exhausting but that's the way that things stay clear for me, I get quite stress this way but it's the only way things work.

Last edited:
Though I consider my self to be a predominately visual learner, I've not been blessed with the greatest eyesight. Which as one could imagine to be a bit hindering to a person who has a pervasive developmental disorder. As a result of this, I was forced to adapt to these circumstances. Before I received the corneal transplant surgery which would eventually correct my vision, I found my self more or less doing everything in my power to improve my memory.As reading became rather difficult due to the fact that to accomplish the task required me to hold the book up to my nose. The idea was if I could retain all of the information being taught during the lectures upon hearing and internalizing it the first time, it would relieve the hassles of studying the material. As for the independent versus group work issue, I am fortunate to have been forced out of my comfort zone rather often. In fact the majority of my school experiences have been with the general population who were not identified as being on the spectrum. One subject in which I've put a great deal of emphasis on has been psychology. Thankfully I haven't had to go very much out of my way to do so, on count of the fact that many of my friends and peers have interest in the subject. However, I find that as most diagnosed with an ASD don't always choose to socialize as frequently as most people do, this is just what I have found to be effective for my self. I do firmly believe the underlying importance is that many children who are born on the spectrum never receive appropriate intervention for their unique needs. That being established, this is more than likely something usefull for people of any age with an ASD to consider. Concocting an individualized learning method is very much a relevant way to assist those with differences in learning styles. Beyond that, I support the idea that those on the spectrum should be encouraged to do so early on.

One of my steady obsessions is self-directed education. Like a lot of aspies, I've had problems with traditional schooling.

What kinds of things do you like to take on as self-education? What experiences have you had doing this? Is it easier working with a small group when it's self-directed, or do you need to go it alone? How do you know when you've had "enough?"

What have you learned recently that you're excited about? Or what's your current fascinating subject?

I didn't realise the act of educating myself was obsessive, lol, but now you mention it I've always taught myself new interest stuff rather than looking for classes.
I did well academically at school and college, but this was in large part due to extra time spent at home running through my notes and reading books on the subject as I found it near impossible to learn in the classroom. I've always found that I learn better through practical experience and by reading, alone at my own pace.
I've picked up various building skills, mechanics, sailing and navigation and am re-vamping the boat I live on; website design and book keeping when I had my own business; some physics and math for entertainment; lately psychology and a lot to do with AS/ASD, amongst other interests.
Sailing was probably one of the hardest things I've learned alone, mainly by learning from my mistakes.. when you get stuck on a sandbank and have to wait 8-10 hours for the next tide, you learn navigation and remember to bring food, drink and a book next time! :oops::D

Having dropped out of college a few too many times, and not feeling all that engaged in high school, I'd have to say that auto-didacticism has been my current MO for many years. I've taught myself boatloads of science, social justice, history...frankly, I think I've gotten a far better education on my own having opened my mind than I would have had I remained more stubborn while still attending university.

It's as Frank Zappa once said (I might be paraphrasing) (And spoiler tag because the language is slightly dicey)

If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.

I did have a lot of problems with traditional schooling system. Not just socially but also academically. It was all about getting good grades, but nobody cared about getting students motivated to learn. My mom says that I was soooo much looking forward to going to school because I liked to learn things, and then school killed all the joy of it. When open-minded, caring teacher was appearing, my grades in a magical way were going up, because I loved it and was motivated! Sadly, such teachers never lasted long in a standard system... :(

So, yeah, when I grew up, I started learning things on my own. Courses were out of picture because of my anxiety. The only course (with people!) I had to endure was Italian one, before moving to Italy, and it was a torture. It would be okay if it was useful at least, but no, it was just a wasted time (and money) - when I came here, I didn't speak to anyone for half of a year out of fear to make a mistake. :tongueclosed:

It's a wonderful time to live in, from this point of view, you can find so much information on Internet! Well, I didn't learn anything really big, just a few things that I was interested in..
I learned English on my own (well, I had a very basic knowledge from school but it was almost nothing, I was so bad at it...) with help of all the people whose paths I crossed trying to get better at it, I will never forget how one guy on chat told me to throw away my "KGB book" which I was using for studying, hahaha! So many shameful memories about my first attempts in English...
I'm trying to learn Japanese as well but it's not easy at all and I'm still trying to figure out from where to start. I know many words but writing system looks very tough and I don't know if I will be able to do it without help. Well, I will try.

I am teaching myself also photography and editing, as I like very much taking pictures. Over years I learned a few other useful and useless skills. The last technical-ish thing I learned was mounting electrical outlets after I heard how much the electrician wanted for changing all of them :eek: (we had to change them when we moved because they were all sparking).

Soon I want to start learning some math and physics, I'm especially curious about it for the last couple of years, but I need to free some space in my head first!

Determining the solvency of corporate entities I learned with formal training as an underwriter. However investing in such companies and the dynamics of the stock market I learned entirely on my own.

I was making websites strictly as a hobby for three years before I sought formal vocational training to become a website designer. Learned both vector and bitmap graphics programs along the way. Mostly went to school just to get a formal certificate. Something I needed so I could get a job in Silicon Valley.

Building Personal Computers? I simply decided it was something I wanted to do and did it.

Last edited:
I like MOOCs. I've taken courses from MIT, Harvard, Stanford, and currently Berkeley. I like philosophy, physics, and electronics. edX has a four part neuroscience program that I might take next.

I've tried going to college twice. Once in my early twenties and again just a few years ago. I'm just not suited to the traditional model of classroom education or the politics of the institutional environment, and my OCD/Asperger's made academic writing a nightmare. Online schooling frustrates me because of far-flung adjuncts who don't care about anything but getting paid. I love to learn and build my skills, though, so I've been "hacking an education" on and off for years.

My special interests are all related to the social sciences, psychology, politics and spirituality, so for me, the best education has always been hands-on work "in the field", so to speak. If I want to learn about or work with a particular group/type of people, I literally just show up, introduce myself and ask if I can hang out and get involved. If I can figure out a way to lend my skills in exchange for the exposure, I'll do it. It's amazing how quickly an outsider can be accepted just by being friendly, interested, and open-minded. If you haven't guessed already, I'm an extrovert Aspie. It's not hard for me to jump in; not unless it's with mainstream NTs. They're a group I've never been able to crack very well. They don't really interest me anyway. They're not exotic enough, I guess. :p I also learn a lot from travel. I like traveling alone because I meet more people that way. You can have the most incredibly personal, deep conversations on a train with someone you'll never see again....

My individual experiences are too extensive to list, but they've been all over the board. I usually get more opportunities and better quality experiences if I go it alone. I can love collaboration if it's the right group of people, but it tends to work out best if I'm in a leadership role. I know I've had enough when I start to get bored, or if I inadvertently get caught up in others' interpersonal drama. :cool: It's easy for me to walk away when it's time. If I've been helping somebody with something, I'll fulfill whatever commitment I've made before moving on. I wouldn't feel right letting anyone down just because an obsession of mine wanes.

Right now I'm seriously excited about Asperger's-related topics, since I was just diagnosed in January. I never would have even guessed that I could be an Aspie until two people here told me they were sure I was. Now I'm trying to find the best projects to maximize my learning and do the most good for the community. I haven't been an actual member of most of the populations I've worked with, so dedicating my energy to fellow Aspies will be a very special joy for me. This is one fascination that I know will never fade. Once I find my niche, I hope to do whatever that is for a very long time. Being here and learning about my new family here at AC is the first step toward figuring out how I can best give back. Gotta know the people, the issues and the viewpoints before anything else.

Great questions! :)

I am too old for a lot of my learning experience to be really relevant. About as soon as I learned to read I read at first what was available which was Science Fiction short stories. Sci Fi in the 1940's and 1950's was written mostly by men in the sciences (Asimov was an astronomer and a physicist) with some engineering talents as well as solid science backgrounds. I picked up on a lot of engineering troubleshooting concepts and also developed a serious vocabulary. As I got older I drifted more into historical fiction. The better historical fiction idea is, as was explained somewhere I read once, not to tell a story involving known persons and exact events but to tell a story about the third or forth explorer who was ignored by the historians. Like the tenth person to come to America after Columbus. Or a bystander when something really big happened. The bystander is unknown so fiction works. The bystander tells a story that uses historical facts and events so the story teaches a lot of real history and the effects or consequences of the real events. Non-fiction accounts of things are similar but more factual and historically accurate. Like some of the books written by Sir Winston Churchill when he was young about the British wars in Africa and Pakistan which give background to current events and some insight into the culture and the character of peoples where the events occurred.

When I was much older I attended formal training programs twice to change careers. Each trade school gave me good credentials to find a new job and new career.

Along the way I also did as 'Judge' said (above): I just did something or began doing something. I read or asked and started to maintain and repair my own cars because I could not afford to pay to have it done. Learned how to change the oil and oil filter. Then learned and did easily changed parts like the car water pumps of that era. Brakes were and are not too hard and are another step. I learned a lot of car mechanical things and how to repair machinery which helped get and do a job repairing/maintaining industrial production equipment in later years.

I do some minor carpentry for myself because it needs doing or I want to have something I am not willing to pay the going price for. The guidelines are in books and now are online and easy to find. Same with a lot of computer tech. Building a computer or updating one is mostly assembling or changing parts. How to do the actual work is easily found and compatibility information can be found or extracted from all that is published online.

Along the way, everything I did helped to learn other things and helped open doors when it mattered.

Most of us have no idea where our lives will go or what we will do along the way. It is mostly, from my perspective, hanging in and taking advantage of whatever offers itself along the way while trying (however successfully or unsuccessfully) to follow goals or general plans that will help us. And staying very flexible. A blogger about cooking that I frequently read (for the recipes) often says (as a joke; but it is more real than not) that we are all always 16 years old in our minds and our hearts. As we accumulate more candles on our birthday cakes we mostly learn that being considered an adult is about how to persevere and to 'fake it' and to 'make it up' better every day.

Having dropped out of college a few too many times, and not feeling all that engaged in high school, I'd have to say that auto-didacticism has been my current MO for many years. I've taught myself boatloads of science, social justice, history...frankly, I think I've gotten a far better education on my own having opened my mind than I would have had I remained more stubborn while still attending university.

It's as Frank Zappa once said (I might be paraphrasing) (And spoiler tag because the language is slightly dicey)

If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.

Dr. Zappa is indeed a fount of wisdom. I also dropped out of college, a couple of times, and did very well professionally, until I realized I was about to be the oldest woman I'd ever heard of to drop out due to pregnancy. For graduation, I got a baby! I never did "walk down the aisle to pomp and circumstance" after high school.

My special interests are all related to the social sciences, psychology, politics and spirituality, so for me, the best education has always been hands-on work "in the field", so to speak.

We have a lot in common. I learned ethnography basics, introduced psychographics to one of my employers, and worked with industrial psychologists for a while. I participated in Jewish studies as a participant-observer after falling in love with the Hebrew Scriptures, although I don't read Hebrew. Too long a story for here.

My individual experiences are too extensive to list, but they've been all over the board. I usually get more opportunities and better quality experiences if I go it alone. I can love collaboration if it's the right group of people, but it tends to work out best if I'm in a leadership role.

I like the same things, but prefer being a lieutenant or a consigliere. Leadership is a lot of work. I'm better at being scout or the "fixer."

Right now I'm seriously excited about Asperger's-related topics, since I was just diagnosed in January.

Likewise. At last count I have ten texts on it, or about two per month ever since my psychiatrist told me he thought I had it. I keep finding more reasons to believe it.

The two things I keep teaching myself are art and website related, and they're pretty relaxed. Art is mostly practice and observation with a few tutorials and books here and there on evil Madame Perspective...

I took a hop over to your website and especially appreciated the graphite and photography work. I just dug out some drawings from my state fair album. One year I had a Thing for chickens, and I sold work out of my hands in the goat barn. Didn't intend to, it just made people happy. Sometimes I'd just leave chicken drawings rolled by the cages as a "Easter Egg" for their owners.

I kind of want to go back to college, but only on my own terms. No degree, only what classes I want, and at the pace I want. I really hate how these "online" classes require me to be physically present at the campus, and that is not a realistic option for us parents with underage children and no babysitters. Either let the kid on campus or let me take it online. If I'm paying for it, you are then my employee, not vice versa.

I do, too, although my barriers are different now. And I don't think I've adapted any better to institutional bureaucracy.

New Threads

Top Bottom