• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

how do you feel about the dolphin slaughter in japan

how do you feel about the dolphin slaughter in japan

• i dont know about it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i dont really have any thoughts about it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I didn't read the article but I'm aware of this. I watch the show Whale Wars and after I learned other animals the Japanese will hunt.

it is horrible isn't it after you find about the truth you wouldn't go to a dolphin show ever again. well I live in New Zealand we don't have them anymore well there's so many opportunities to see them in the wild plus at least it leaves a smaller footprint then those places at least dolphins aren't put into small pools to do cheap tricks in front of misinformed people.

I wish I could say I felt something on this issue, but I have trouble empathizing when an issue is so remote. Perhaps this is a good thing, because with all of the travesties in the world one could easily become overwhelmed and fall into depression. I have see it happen.

Despite my lack of emotional connection, however, I can still say that I do not support dolphin shows (or the majority of animal acts). These are intelligent, social creatures, and imprisoning them for our own entertainment is not justifiable.

The consumption of their meat is an other issue. Ethically I would have to agree that it is wrong, as is the consumption of meat in general. Unless one has no other recourse then why should an animal die for your sustenance. Alas, I am a hypocrite. I love meat, and eat it frequently. This makes me a horrible person. And frankly, I do not think the intelligence of the animal matters. If a creature is aware and capable of joy and suffering then it deserves consideration. But it is also disgusting that people would sell dolphin meat without properly labeling it. Consumers deserve to know what they are eating, and the consumption of apex predators is dangerous, due to the effect of biomagnification whereby environmental contaminants grow increasingly concentrated as they get passed up the food chain. I understand that serious neurological damage frequently results from the consumption of shark fin soup. I can only imagine the consumption of dolphin presents a similar risk.

I don't normaly follow animal rights debates but I still find strange inconsistencies with Japan's defence of its whale hunts; it says that the hunting is for "science" and not for the food markets, yet when Japan is under pressure from governments/NGOs it claims that they're "supressing Japan's cultural identity". So, Japan is saying that their cultural identity is science? o_O

I don't normaly follow animal rights debates but I still find strange inconsistencies with Japan's defence of its whale hunts; it says that the hunting is for "science" and not for the food markets, yet when Japan is under pressure from governments/NGOs it claims that they're "supressing Japan's cultural identity". So, Japan is saying that their cultural identity is science? o_O

Japan sometimes uses a supposed tradition of whaling to defend their hunting of whales and dolphins, but as the documentary The Cove discusses, it's pretty much an invented tradion.

Also worth mentioning that harvesting whale and dolphin meat is bad for humans too since it's full of mercury.

I thought I would post about this topic. Dolphin Slaughter in Taiji this page would tell you about it. post after you read the page.

I saw this thread soon after you posted it & just wanted to comment that I too feel very distraught & upset about this slaughter. I heard about it a few years ago, & like Penguin have watched Whale Wars & read other related materials over the years.

Since there is nothing I can personally or directly do (other than inform others when possible, & like you, avoid patronizing such 'shows') I cannot spend a lot of time dwelling on it because it would only sadden & depress me. I am not an "animal rights" person, but I do believe & promote the humane treatment & respect of all animals & things like this slaughter violate my consciousness & humanity. I think it is cruel & unnecessary, & I completely disagree with Japan's so-called scientific exemption which is used an excuse for their killing of sea mammals. Dolphins are indeed very beautiful & intelligent beings. I also believe that holding them in captivity is unhealthy for them, & that it's cruel & inhumane.

Just know that you have my support & there are many others in the world who feel as you do. I see that you are only 15 years old. It is wonderful that you have such strong feelings & devotion for these special creatures. But try to not obsess over such painful, upsetting events as you will never be able to help them if you become paralyzed by depression & sadness over it.

Someone else on this site once reminded - & it was excellent advice - that in the event of an emergency on an airplane, the stewards always instruct passengers to place their own oxygen mask on first. We can't help anyone else unless we've helped ourself first. That puts us in the position to be able to help others. Just keep that in mind.

And since I personally believe in a Creator, I will pray for the dolphins.

I feel that it's horrible for innocent dolphins to be slaughtered like that, just for the enjoyment of humans. I had no idea that nearly 20000 dolphins are slaughtered in Tahiti each year. I don't support that at all.

well at least this guy is trying to teach people about this thank you for you're work can anyone guess who he is.
Ric-1.jpg

Human beings are the worst, they kill for enjoyment, every species, plant and animal, even other humans. Killing to eat is one thing, killing for fun, an entirely different level of insanity.

I think it's perfectly fine. It's harvesting animals. Some First World countries still do it out of community and it's very important to them. Other First and Third World peoples do it out of necessity for food. I think both are reasonable. Most people eat meat. It's horrible to watch things die and slaughter is difficult to watch as well. Every rancher and farmer I have met has told me they don't enjoy killing, they know it's necessary. Those people take very good care of their animals.

Animals eat each other and usually while they are alive. When I was young I was only feet away seeing a group of coyotes take a deer. It scarred me seeing it. But the coyotes need to eat and have children too. It's all complicated. Everybody is against cruelty to animals. It doesn't mean we can't harvest them, just as animals harvest others. Remember, dolphins eat fish alive every day they live. They are killing machines. I haven't heard someone complain about the suffering of the fish that are terrified by groups of dolphins as they are herded in to tighter and tighter groups until they are taken alive while terrified.

I think we identify with dolphins more, we empathize more, so it's harder to see them frightened into a corral and butchered with knives but the killers are killing the killers. Then again, take dolphins out of the life cycle and their prey species would suffer terribly. I wish it were a softer world, I don't think it's meant to work that way though.

I picture again and again bears fishing upstream for salmon and pulling their skin off and eating it while the salmon alive, struggle. Horrible to see.

I think it's perfectly fine. It's harvesting animals. Some First World countries still do it out of community and it's very important to them. Other First and Third World peoples do it out of necessity for food. I think both are reasonable. Most people eat meat. It's horrible to watch things die and slaughter is difficult to watch as well. Every rancher and farmer I have met has told me they don't enjoy killing, they know it's necessary. Those people take very good care of their animals.

Animals eat each other and usually while they are alive. When I was young I was only feet away seeing a group of coyotes take a deer. It scarred me seeing it. But the coyotes need to eat and have children too. It's all complicated. Everybody is against cruelty to animals. It doesn't mean we can't harvest them, just as animals harvest others. Remember, dolphins eat fish alive every day they live. They are killing machines. I haven't heard someone complain about the suffering of the fish that are terrified by groups of dolphins as they are herded in to tighter and tighter groups until they are taken alive while terrified.

I think we identify with dolphins more, we empathize more, so it's harder to see them frightened into a corral and butchered with knives but the killers are killing the killers. Then again, take dolphins out of the life cycle and their prey species would suffer terribly. I wish it were a softer world, I don't think it's meant to work that way though.

I picture again and again bears fishing upstream for salmon and pulling their skin off and eating it while the salmon alive, struggle. Horrible to see.
well yeah if you think its like killing another human its tecanilly canablisim but then you got to think why does this happen its the multi billion dollar dolphin captivity industry the killing is just a byproduct have you ever seen that cute dolphin at a aquarium and thought where did this dolphin come from well this is the place (if you live in japan that is)

New Threads

Top Bottom