• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you deal with distractions?

epath13

the Fool.The Magician.The...
V.I.P Member
I've been trying to find some info about dealing with distractions. For me, this has always been one of the main reasons for procrastinating and not following though with my goals. Well, it's not too bad. While being distracted I can analyze and figure things out, but still. What do I mean by "distractions"? Pretty much anything and everything: sensory triggers, social interactions, obsessive thoughts and behaviors.
Sometimes I feel like I'm stuck in the loop, I don't seem to be able to jump off "I can't" train which leads to obsessive behaviors. Here's some things that work: knowing exactly what needs to be done so there's not much space for variations; clearing the mind of irrelevant thoughts and only focus on a task; clearing the mind every time something distracts you; dedicating time to a specific task (especially difficult one, or the one that requires a lot of attention); following a schedule; dedicating time to enjoyable things that are not a part of any goal. But even though I know what seems to be working, I still go through the same cycles over and over: getting on track, getting lost, getting back on track, getting lost again. I've also had another post about emotional memory (don't remember how I called it) it also prevents me from getting back on track. Especially when I feel like I have to relearn how to use some strategies over and over. I would love to discover an ultimate solution, so far I haven't. I feel like every solution is missing something...

New Threads

Top Bottom