• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

sisselcakes

V.I.P Member
Hi Everybody.

I've posted several things on here and your feedback has been immensely helpful. This is probably going to be really long so I hope that doesn't discourage you from reading it. I feel like I need to give you the history.

This has to do with how becoming aware you were on the spectrum affected your relationships.

I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say I would bet my life that my boyfriend has undiagnosed AS. He's almost 50 years old and high functioning.

I've done a lot of reading and perusing websites seeking information and it's been crucial for me in understanding how the differences in our wiring are responsible for an untold number of issues that have arisen between us. It's basically helped me to cope with difficulties I've had in our relationship.

I felt as though it wasn't my right to point out to him the possibility of AS. I wasn't sure my reasons were noble (I.e. to satisfy my own curiosity) and I thought it could be hurtful to somebody who sees himself as getting along fine.

In the past I have made observations- that we see things from a different perspective. This is true for him with others as well. For example, once he was baffled and distressed that his boss had called his character into question. Apparently he had come across as unprofessional when he insulted a customer. When I broke down what appeared to have happened in the interaction, he seemed to understand. He says he's been fired from quite a few jobs because stupid people annoy him. Lol.

So a few weeks ago when he said some things to me that were extremely hurtful, but he clearly was clueless as to why, I gently broached the subject because it's clearly affecting us as a couple. His initial response after I explained some of the traits was curiosity. "Hmmmm. I'll have to look into that more," he said. Several days later when I brought it up again in convo, he said: he didn't have it, that did have some of the traits, thank you for caring enough about him to read up on it, that I needed to worry about myself (I have depression), and even if he did have it, what's the point at his age?

So of course I backed off and said I was sorry if it upset him but I felt like whatever's going on was affecting our relationship, so it was important for me to bring it up. He did acknowledge how some of his behaviors are problematic. He doesn't come right out and say it, but based on comments he makes, I can tell he's trying to remedy mistakes he made in his marriage. He tries. That's evident.

When we had the productive conversation, and he hadn't become defensive, I brought up the fact that I would like us to see a relationship counselor. I would've looked for somebody who has experience in ASD, who could understand that he wasn't just being an insensitive boob, and help us bridge some our communication gaps and be an objective "interpreter", perhaps.

I just told him I'd like to do it because I think it could help with understanding each other better. I doubt you'd be surprised by his response. He'd rather we communicate like we had at that moment. And he didn't understand how a counselor would help anything. Well that would be great if we COULD talk but he usually gets defensive.

Anyway, I'll be wrapping this up. I'm not unrealistic. I see where this is going. I can feel it in my heart. But I'm not quite ready to let go or give up.

And on some level, he knows. He's alluded to making mistakes in his past relationships. And the other day he said, " you'll eventually get sick of me." :-(

So If you've gotten this far, thanks for bearing with me. To my question(s) about your individual experiences. When you realized you were on the spectrum, in spite of the fact it didn't change how your brain is wired or automatically improve areas you struggled with, how did the newfound awareness affect your relationships- romantic, family, and friends?

Your perspective is invaluable! I appreciate it.

It's a mixed bag. With my husband, it's helped us adjust our expectations of what I can and can't do. I think it helps him not feel so rejected if he knows my touch sensitivities are not a message of rejection, but just something internal to me that I can't help. It's still painful for him, but at least he's not reading so much into it. I think we're both doing a lot of grieving in our own ways, as we realize that a lot of the problems we thought we could fix...we can't, because my brain is hardwired this way.

With other relationships...there are maybe 3 people (including my therapist) who have attempted to understand and adjust while not talking down at me or pulling away from the relationship like I'm contagious or something. There are several people who try to pretend like it's not relevant information, and try to convince me that I shouldn't think of myself as being different...if I can appear the same as them, then of course I must be the same as them, right? Or not.

And there are some people, especially in my family, who have always talked down to me, and I haven't told them about the AS because I don't want them to have an excuse to treat me that way even more.

I've come to the conclusion that very, very few people (even professionals I see for various issues, like my dentist or GP or whatever) can comprehend on any level what I'm trying to tell them when I explain about AS. So most of the time, it's better to keep that information to myself, and simply make my own adaptations as best I can. I alter my expectations, I keep to myself more, and I use social masks in situations where it's warranted (which is the huge majority of social situations).

Well, since I wasn't in a relationship when I was diagnosed, it didn't matter. I had lost most of my former friends due to health problems which they didn't understand or didn't want to deal with, so it actually benefited me to be diagnosed. I met my husband at a support group for adults on the spectrum!

It's a mixed bag. With my husband, it's helped us adjust our expectations of what I can and can't do. I think it helps him not feel so rejected if he knows my touch sensitivities are not a message of rejection, but just something internal to me that I can't help. It's still painful for him, but at least he's not reading so much into it. I think we're both doing a lot of grieving in our own ways, as we realize that a lot of the problems we thought we could fix...we can't, because my brain is hardwired this way.

With other relationships...there are maybe 3 people (including my therapist) who have attempted to understand and adjust while not talking down at me or pulling away from the relationship like I'm contagious or something. There are several people who try to pretend like it's not relevant information, and try to convince me that I shouldn't think of myself as being different...if I can appear the same as them, then of course I must be the same as them, right? Or not.

And there are some people, especially in my family, who have always talked down to me, and I haven't told them about the AS because I don't want them to have an excuse to treat me that way even more.

I've come to the conclusion that very, very few people (even professionals I see for various issues, like my dentist or GP or whatever) can comprehend on any level what I'm trying to tell them when I explain about AS. So most of the time, it's better to keep that information to myself, and simply make my own adaptations as best I can. I alter my expectations, I keep to myself more, and I use social masks in situations where it's warranted (which is the huge majority of social situations).

I think that you are absolutely right about very, very few people (even professionals) understanding AS. I believe that our way of thinking is so foreign to "most people" that they can not comprehend what it means to be a Aspie. They just do not process information the same way that we do.

Hi Everybody.

I've posted several things on here and your feedback has been immensely helpful. This is probably going to be really long so I hope that doesn't discourage you from reading it. I feel like I need to give you the history.

This has to do with how becoming aware you were on the spectrum affected your relationships.

I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say I would bet my life that my boyfriend has undiagnosed AS. He's almost 50 years old and high functioning.

I've done a lot of reading and perusing websites seeking information and it's been crucial for me in understanding how the differences in our wiring are responsible for an untold number of issues that have arisen between us. It's basically helped me to cope with difficulties I've had in our relationship.

I felt as though it wasn't my right to point out to him the possibility of AS. I wasn't sure my reasons were noble (I.e. to satisfy my own curiosity) and I thought it could be hurtful to somebody who sees himself as getting along fine.

In the past I have made observations- that we see things from a different perspective. This is true for him with others as well. For example, once he was baffled and distressed that his boss had called his character into question. Apparently he had come across as unprofessional when he insulted a customer. When I broke down what appeared to have happened in the interaction, he seemed to understand. He says he's been fired from quite a few jobs because stupid people annoy him. Lol.

So a few weeks ago when he said some things to me that were extremely hurtful, but he clearly was clueless as to why, I gently broached the subject because it's clearly affecting us as a couple. His initial response after I explained some of the traits was curiosity. "Hmmmm. I'll have to look into that more," he said. Several days later when I brought it up again in convo, he said: he didn't have it, that did have some of the traits, thank you for caring enough about him to read up on it, that I needed to worry about myself (I have depression), and even if he did have it, what's the point at his age?

So of course I backed off and said I was sorry if it upset him but I felt like whatever's going on was affecting our relationship, so it was important for me to bring it up. He did acknowledge how some of his behaviors are problematic. He doesn't come right out and say it, but based on comments he makes, I can tell he's trying to remedy mistakes he made in his marriage. He tries. That's evident.

When we had the productive conversation, and he hadn't become defensive, I brought up the fact that I would like us to see a relationship counselor. I would've looked for somebody who has experience in ASD, who could understand that he wasn't just being an insensitive boob, and help us bridge some our communication gaps and be an objective "interpreter", perhaps.

I just told him I'd like to do it because I think it could help with understanding each other better. I doubt you'd be surprised by his response. He'd rather we communicate like we had at that moment. And he didn't understand how a counselor would help anything. Well that would be great if we COULD talk but he usually gets defensive.

Anyway, I'll be wrapping this up. I'm not unrealistic. I see where this is going. I can feel it in my heart. But I'm not quite ready to let go or give up.

And on some level, he knows. He's alluded to making mistakes in his past relationships. And the other day he said, " you'll eventually get sick of me." :-(

So If you've gotten this far, thanks for bearing with me. To my question(s) about your individual experiences. When you realized you were on the spectrum, in spite of the fact it didn't change how your brain is wired or automatically improve areas you struggled with, how did the newfound awareness affect your relationships- romantic, family, and friends?

Your perspective is invaluable! I appreciate it.

I was not diagnosed until eight years ago, at age 62. For me, it was a relief to know why I am the way that I am and that there are others like me. For my wife it meant that my weirdness had a name. We have been together so long that it really did not make any difference in our relationship. Our kids and their families have always thought that Grandpa was a little eccentric and still do. I do not tell people about my AS because they ether will not or can not understand.

I believe that our way of thinking is so foreign to "most people" that they can not comprehend what it means to be a Aspie. They just do not process information the same way that we do.

Yeah, I think it's kinda like trying to explain to a fish what water is and how it's different for animals living on land. The fish has a hard time not only noticing this substance so foundational to its entire existence, but especially imagining what it might be like to not live in water. The fish can't separate its sense of existence from its sense of the water it lives in.

Yet that's the kind of transposing aspies have to do all the time. The fact we often suck at it, though, overshadows how hard we're working to bridge such a huge neurological gap. Seeing it this way helps me appreciate more the NTs who are willing to stick around and try to understand from their side of the gap.

I was not diagnosed until eight years ago, at age 62. For me, it was a relief to know why I am the way that I am and that there are others like me. For my wife it meant that my weirdness had a name. We have been together so long that it really did not make any difference in our relationship. Our kids and their families have always thought that Grandpa was a little eccentric and still do. I do not tell people about my AS because they ether will not or can not understand.
I so appreciate your response and what a great story that you have been together with your wife for such a long time and you have made it work! I understand why you wouldn't want to share your diagnosis with people. At this point of your life everyone knows you as you are. I do find it discouraging that so few professionals truly get it. I'm a social worker and that would be me if I had someone walk into my office without the knowledge I have now. Even with all of the things I have read and studied because of my personal situation, I still don't think I totally get it it's sad because I can't even get support from my close friends. And these are people who work in healthcare and are very empathetic When you try to tell them about your experience with your loved one on the spectrum, they think you're some kind of battered woman making excuses for the abuser. Sometimes I humorously preface what I'm going to say with " I know I sound like a battered woman but ..." Lol. It was great to have your response. It's very helpful to have people's validation. and I bet you're a fun, eccentric grandpa!!!

I've come to the conclusion that very, very few people (even professionals I see for various issues, like my dentist or GP or whatever) can comprehend on any level what I'm trying to tell them when I explain about AS. So most of the time, it's better to keep that information to myself, and simply make my own adaptations as best I can. I alter my expectations, I keep to myself more, and I use social masks in situations where it's warranted (which is the huge majority of social situations).[/QUOTE

Hi there.

First of all, I think I'm writing out of order, but oh well!

Like I had said in an earlier post, you do a really great job of expressing your experience in words, the way someone who hasn't lived your life can understand. Have you done any writing outside of what you do here?

I completely agree with you. There are few laypeople and professionals who can truly understand your (the ASD) perspective and mindset, in spite of good intentions. I think being on the spectrum versus not is like speaking a different language and coming from a different culture.

I don't get your experience but at the same time I kind of do. The amount of work it takes to survive, I can't imagine. I like your fish analogy It makes me feel more compassion for my boyfriend.

Well, Id better sign off before I get super sappy!!!

I appreciate you writing your take on things!

The few relationships I have are close friends. My lady-friend expressed interest at first, but now it doesn't really matter. One friend said, "Uh, okay" and let it go at that. Another expressed interest, but I don't think he has ever fully grasped what AS is even though I've shared some excellent info with him.

Overall, it hasn't really has affected my relationships either way. I think for the most part my friends just look at my AS as me being me.

Well, sounds to me like a pretty good deal! Your loved ones didn't see you any differently.

It's so interesting to hear everyone's experiences. It seems as though one's experience of getting the AS diagnosis is influenced by the kinds of people in one's life and a myriad of other factors.

From this NT's experience I can say that all of this intrigues, frustrates, and ticks me off a the same time. Urggggg.

great job of expressing your experience in words, the way someone who hasn't lived your life can understand. Have you done any writing outside of what you do here?

I'm a technical writer by trade, so yes. I've also spent many, many years posting on various forums like this one as my interests have shifted...like Babycenter when I was having babies, and ChristianForums when I was going through an earlier faith shift. It always seems to me like I'm too wordy, but I'm glad it's helpful for you.

I hope your boyfriend can join you in this searching for understanding and growth. Regardless of where he's coming from or what he needs to face into, the journey can be a very bonding experience when you do it together.

That said...it's best to focus on your own journey rather than trying to walk his for him. I know you're trying to understand him, and that's certainly appropriate. But it's easy, on the receiving end of that, to feel like someone's "project", which isn't fun and can be somewhat stifling.

I don't know what the solution is to this dilemma--I spent nearly 2 dozen years in relationship with my husband before he really started to engage in this growth process himself. And even still, I'm not sure how much of this is the result of pressure from circumstances or how much is his free choice. If you can afford to see a therapist, that guidance can be invaluable.

Thanks for your kind words! Your experience is very inspirational. I worry that this won't last with my bf. It may not. I'm not going to force something that isn't "meant to be", and many people/friends I talk to act as though guys are disposable; but he's not. Maybe I'll let go of him at some point but he has a lot of good qualities. I know he loves me. It wasn't easy finding him. I know he tries. I see that, so there is some level of insight. I'm not big on going into the dating scene again, especially since I found a good guy whom I love and is there for me, even though he acts weird and says stupid things sometimes. LOL. There aren't too many options for me at 40-something. All guys have major baggage like exes and partial custody of their children. We shall see.... I am seeing a therapist and he has encouraged me to not jump ship as my first reaction, which frankly that has been my first impulse. I hadn't dated anyone in YEARS and I mean YEARS! Thanks again. Your input makes me feel hopeful, while at the same time, realistic.

Thanks for your kind words! Your experience is very inspirational. I worry that this won't last with my bf. It may not. I'm not going to force something that isn't "meant to be", and many people/friends I talk to act as though guys are disposable; but he's not. Maybe I'll let go of him at some point but he has a lot of good qualities. I know he loves me. It wasn't easy finding him. I know he tries. I see that, so there is some level of insight. I'm not big on going into the dating scene again, especially since I found a good guy whom I love and is there for me, even though he acts weird and says stupid things sometimes. LOL. There aren't too many options for me at 40-something. All guys have major baggage like exes and partial custody of their children. We shall see.... I am seeing a therapist and he has encouraged me to not jump ship as my first reaction, which frankly that has been my first impulse. I hadn't dated anyone in YEARS and I mean YEARS! Thanks again. Your input makes me feel hopeful, while at the same time, realistic.

I am a Aspie and my wife is a NT. We have 5 kids, 11 grandkids and 2 great grandkids. We have been together for a very long time. It has not always been a bed of rose's, but what relationship is? I believe that the key is not only loving each other, but understanding each other as well. She went to the trouble to actually learn about AS, so that she could understand why I am the way that I am. My understanding her not only helps us, but also helps me navigate in a NT world. So you see a NT & Aspie relationship can work. Best wishes and good luck.

I am getting frustrated that my wife and in-laws are not really trying to understand the condition. It seems that I'm the one who has to do all of the adapting. If I try to explain myself (and that takes great effort), I get the impression that they think I am making excuses for bad behavior! Basically, if information comes from me, their thought process is "well, if you know that,why can't you change?" Yeah, with two jobs, an autistic son,a daughter, a house and two acres, and family that do not understand, please pardon me for feeling a bit out of it. I am deeply depressed as well, and instead of trying to understand, she bugs me about lack of motivation, unloving behavior, and irritability. Depression is an illness, not a choice! I don't have a magic "easy" button.

I am getting frustrated that my wife and in-laws are not really trying to understand the condition. It seems that I'm the one who has to do all of the adapting. If I try to explain myself (and that takes great effort), I get the impression that they think I am making excuses for bad behavior! Basically, if information comes from me, their thought process is "well, if you know that,why can't you change?" Yeah, with two jobs, an autistic son,a daughter, a house and two acres, and family that do not understand, please pardon me for feeling a bit out of it. I am deeply depressed as well, and instead of trying to understand, she bugs me about lack of motivation, unloving behavior, and irritability. Depression is an illness, not a choice! I don't have a magic "easy" button.

I have been there myself, so I have some idea how you feel. It is true that you are the one who has to do most of the adapting, we live in a NT world. The only person that I try to explain AS to is my wife. I have found that everyone else either will not or can not understand and most do not really care. It has taken a while for my wife to really understand what my weirdness is all about, but she does and is my representative to the rest of the NT world. So as you know, it can and will work. Hang in there, we are all pulling for you.

As I discovered over the years, dating: everyone has something.

It know it is tough, sisselcakes, but you have the incredible advantage of knowing what is going on. If you know he really does love you, perhaps that can help when things are tough?

For my wife and I, it saved our relationship. My meltdowns were very violent and distructive. Breaking things, hitting her, throwing things at her ect. Once my therapist diagnosed me, started working with me using both CBT and ABA therapies, then after I started to come around she brought my wife in to the sessions and educate her on how not to enable my meltdowns, on realistic expectitions of what I can and cannot change. It has changed the world for us. Now she knows she has to somewhat be a caretaker of me on my lower functioning days. To be direct and not expect me to "read" her body language or to just know when she needs something. Its still not easy, we both have to work at it every day, but we both love each other in our own special ways. She just now better understands how I show my love for her since its not always the same as someone who is NT. Mike

I think it can help my 15 year marriage. He is an artist and musician, so has always accepted my quirks as part of me being an artist too (writer.) This put down a nice foundation in which neither of us has any "normal" expectations :)

I learnt about my aspergers as a child so I knew before my first relationship, so far no relationship has gone well (never met that special someone :( ) but I think it definitely helps knowing about my aspergers as it helps me understand why I struggle with certain things and helps me articulate and explain my issues to others.

Since your husband does not feel comfortable with the diagnosis, a diagnosis is not likely to help him. He should be encouraged to go with you to conventions, workshops, and/or even support group meetings possibly. Many support group meetings might seem too low functioning for him, and this may be the case. I did not get diagnosed until real late and it did not benefit me at All until this year by luck. Heck i have not even been able to fit in the autistic world very well above more than well acquainted most of the time. Something else to keep in mind.

New Threads

Top Bottom