• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

>:( HOPE BRACES BREAK

I had a twin block glued in my mouth when I was 11 (kinda like braces, but more aggravating) and I remember hating it. I could not chew food properly or even speak clearly and the thing always got food stuck in it so my breath always stunk (yuck). But it was a necessary piece of dental equipment and it did help my overbite slightly. So try to stick with the braces.

Does that mean you tap your teeth or something, Gracie?

I also take it, that those braces have only just been put on? If so, is it at all possible that is why you have braces, because your stimming has caused damage to your teeth?

I admit, as ugly as they are, the end result is amazing!

I stim with my leg or legs, with my hair with tapping my mouth. Or sometimes rock. What I am trying to say is if you stim in more than that area, why not get stimming girl lol

Frustrating! Grrrrr!

With your natural creativity, it's a wonderful time to come up with some really super new stimms!

Last edited:
When my son was young he had an overbite that really needed correcting. He was willing at first but soon learned that braces can be uncomfortable and all the appointments were annoying. By the time he got to just a retainer (age 14) he was the nastiest teen imaginable and I fought constantly to make him wear it. I had spent a small fortune to make him look his best and he didn't have one speck of gratitude. Eventually, and only because I could be nastier than he was, the retainer came off and he looked great. He continued to be a terrible teen, but finally grew up. Fast forward 25 to 30 years later: He was visiting me as I cleaned my garage and was sorting old photographs. He found one of himself shortly before he got his braces and a homely little beaver looked into the camera, mouth agape. The overbite really distracted from his looks, and he had grown up to be a really nice looking man with perfect teeth. He fell silent and then just said "Wow!" as he finally realized how he used to look. Your parents are giving you quite a nice gift and I hope your before and after pictures make you, someday, thank them. If you already have one stimm it can't be terribly difficult to create another. Good luck and concentrate on becoming beautiful.:D

Ugh, braces - that brings back memories. I had to have a brace when I was about 11 or 12, and I HATED it. It was one with elastic bands which you could take out when you were eating. But I hated it because: a) it smelled and b) it was really uncomfortable. I had it for a while, and then I left it somewhere and lost it when I took it out to eat. My mum accused me of losing it on purpose, but it's not true. I was very absent-minded and used to lose things a lot - but admittedly, it was very convenient that I lost the brace because it was never replaced and I didn't have to wear it again. My mum still doesn't believe that I didn't lose the brace on purpose.

I hated my braces too. They hurt so much...

I do understand how frustrating it can be not to have your favorite stims, but I also agree, others can be picked up if you make a conscious effort, and before long you won't have to think about it, you will automatically favor the new stim. One really acceptable, and productive, stim I have is doodling. I keep a notepad with me in case I need to make circles--I think Zentangle is so popular because it's pretty much a stimming activity. Keeps me from flapping my hands, or drumming my fingers. Sometimes when I am thinking I make a clicking noise with my tongue, but that can annoy people.

Also, there are some cool, affordable stim toys here:

http://www.stimtastic.co

Maybe if you can treat yourself to something new and fun, it will be easier to let go of the old stim and the braces could seem less annoying.

Does that mean you tap your teeth or something, Gracie?

I also take it, that those braces have only just been put on? If so, is it at all possible that is why you have braces, because your stimming has caused damage to your teeth?

I admit, as ugly as they are, the end result is amazing!

I stim with my leg or legs, with my hair with tapping my mouth. Or sometimes rock. What I am trying to say is if you stim in more than that area, why not get stimming girl lol
No it's not why... It's because i lost my corner teeth late so they didn't have place to grow down...Im not tapping teeth... i sometimes chew on things... like a spray bottle for glasses... Or a pencil i chew so it get painting in my mouth.. or wood... It's not everyday thing.. but when i do chew i don't stop.. i chew to the ting is bend or atleast i feel done...

Maybe if you can treat yourself to something new and fun, it will be easier to let go of the old stim and the braces could seem less annoying.
The braces isn't annoying me really... It's that if they break my mom says i have to pay it... I usually like to smell my hands or something... I also shake my leg as a stim.. I shake the leg to im tired in my muscles... Training for leg :D I do it also to make me sleep. I kinda feel stressed if i can't smell anything... Cause it's everyday thing... I like to click on things too... Or swing something... :l What am i doing.... I think this f

The braces isn't annoying me really... It's that if they break my mom says i have to pay it... I usually like to smell my hands or something... I also shake my leg as a stim.. I shake the leg to im tired in my muscles... Training for leg :D I do it also to make me sleep. I kinda feel stressed if i can't smell anything... Cause it's everyday thing... I like to click on things too... Or swing something... :l What am i doing.... I just got a mood here: Feels strange/Feels stupid... i don't know..

The braces isn't annoying me really... It's that if they break my mom says i have to pay it... I usually like to smell my hands or something... I also shake my leg as a stim.. I shake the leg to im tired in my muscles... Training for leg :D I do it also to make me sleep. I kinda feel stressed if i can't smell anything... Cause it's everyday thing... I like to click on things too... Or swing something... :l What am i doing.... I just got a mood here: Feels strange/Feels stupid... i don't know..
That would make me really nervous, worrying about paying to repair the braces! Also, it is common for parts of the braces to come unglued or the wires to snap as your teeth settle into place. I hope your mom is aware that is to be expected, and won't blame you for those.

You are right, muscle stims are good exercise!

I get the "strange/stupid" feeling on a daily basis :confused: It used to bother me because I couldn't sort it out, what it meant. Now I just wait for another feeling to take its place ;)

It's that if they break my mom says i have to pay it...
wow, such a thing to lay on a 13yr old.. I mean, my folks did every parenting thing completely wrong (granted, Asperger's was not a known thing way back then, so they just assumed I was just a little prick or something, I guess), but never threatened anything like that. I really wish I had any advice for you other than pointing out your legal rights, and her legal responsibilities, but that might not go over too good. All I can say is good luck.

New Threads

Top Bottom