• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Homelessness

wanderer03

This is perhaps my biggest fear and I see myself getting closer and closer to it. I would be even further bullied by people as well as an outcast.

As money dwindles, I watch myself getting closer to life on the streets. I've been preoccupied with how I will survive and where to go.

The more you think about it, the more you will stress out. Eventually if you stress about it too much you will ultimately drive yourself to homelessness. A self fulfilling prophecy. Try not to stress about it and trust that everything will work out in your favor

While you are not on the streets you should clearly think about what you can do if there is a will there is a way but you need to be fast.

I was homeless for a year and it took me four years to find stable housing (after my first year I got accepted into a temporary/transitional housing program). It does make you more isolated. I would suggest getting as much help as possible now before it comes to that. Organizations like St. Vincent DePaul might be willing to help with a month of rent or bills.

Do you have a social worker or case manager? Even a therapist might be able to point you towards resources.

I was homeless a few times, messing with places, like the transitional housing and such, treat you like a 2nd class citizen... and being on the spectrum... if they get a chance and benefit from state/fed funding to get you in a place and on pharmaceuticals, you bet they will go out of their way to get you...

if you do the tent thing, and that sort of thing... possibly be able to work part time, sack away cash minus gasoline and food cost... and be able to unplug from society for the days your not working... definitely good down time... visit a library and load up on the books, ect..

That is true. My transitional place had rules about who could visit us and when. We were required to be in therapy and meet with two social workers a month. We got random drug tests (which were annoying because they would make us wait around for literally hours and we would have no prior notice -- they would just knock on your door and order you to go to some place to pee in a cup). They had cameras EVERYWHERE. We had to tell our landlords about all of our prescriptions and various personal things that landlords have no business knowing. I survived, though. I don't do anything illegal and I'm reclusive by nature, so I didn't have any problems with staff aside from forgetting to go to some of the required meetings.

Being homeless is embarrassing and exhausting, but in a bizarre plot twist, I might not have some of the things I have today if I hadn't been homeless. When you get to that place, you're more likely to get help and find people to work with you. Before I was homeless, people thought I was too functional and I made too much money for assistance, even though I was always broke. I think a big part of how I got SSDI so quickly was because I ended up homeless about three months after my first application.

Still, though, if you can avoid it, DO. Sell stuff on eBay. Do labor if you're capable.

I came close to being completely homeless once too and this was going on during a time of extreme trauma,I remember the feelings very well and it's one of the reasons I also developed C-PTSD even now I still have that fear but I wish I could help you since I know what it feels like.

I had been at risk many times. Was even close to being evicted years ago. I can be at risk again right now if I don't find a way to make a stable income. Part of the reason why I been away from here for months as I been working hard preventing being homeless. I had reach out to many people to ensure I can have a stable income soon. This is the first time in my life I reached out to many people in a short period of time. This is how much I want to ensure preventing this from happening.

Wow! I never realized so many of you had been down that road. Maybe there is something you can do before you go broke. Is there a possibility of any type of job like delivering pizzas or something to make ends meet? I have always picked up extra jobs delivering pizzas and newspapers to make ends meet. Those jobs pay pretty good for part time work. They do require a vehicle. I know it can be hard to get motivated to get out there and beat the bushes for extra work but it could pay off in the long run. Best of luck to you.

New Threads

Top Bottom