• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

High IQ

zoedundas

Does anyone else find that people are confused by their high IQ?
I think people look at me and my life circumstances and think that I'm a bit slow when actually my IQ scores around 130 on a bad day (139 is my best score, not a genius but not bad either).
So I get treated like an idiot by bosses, professionals etc when in fact I'm way ahead of them. It drives me mad.

I thought 130+ was genius level?

Anywho, I sadly think we're nowadays brought up in a society that favours stupidity over intelligence; which is now seen as something to be belittled and those with it made to feel inferior. It sucks big time.

Classification/categorizations differ.

Current Wechsler (WAIS–IV, WISC–IV, WPPSI–IV) IQ classification
IQ Range ("deviation IQ") IQ Classification
130 and above
Very Superior
120–129 Superior
110–119 High Average
90–109 Average
80–89 Low Average
70–79 Borderline
69 and below Extremely Low
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_classification

Intelligence Interval Cognitive Designation
40 - 54 Severely challenged (Less than 1% of test takers)
55 - 69 Challenged (2.3% of test takers)
70 - 84 Below average
85 - 114 Average (68% of test takers)
115 - 129 Above average
130 - 144 Gifted (2.3% of test takers)
145 - 159 Genius (Less than 1% of test takers)
160 - 175 Extraordinary genius
http://www.free-iqtest.net/iq-score-guide.asp
[My posting this link is not an endorsement of their test.]

I thought 130+ was genius level?

Anywho, I sadly think we're nowadays brought up in a society that favours stupidity over intelligence; which is now seen as something to be belittled and those with it made to feel inferior. It sucks big time.
My experience over many decades is that the NT world favours 'conformity of opinion' over intelligent analysis.

If what you are referring to is being disregarded when others focus on our deficits rather than our strengths, perhaps most of us with ASD have experienced that. We want to be valued, we want to be respected. It is challenging to be spoken to with babytalk and treated with grudging tolerance, when we know that there is so much more inside us which is not communicated.

Some people will not look too deeply, and will see us as "less." Our society has many who have not been trained to look very deeply. Anyone who moves or communicates differently may not be seen as having the same degree of personhood. It feels awful to be disregarded. Mindfulness helps me understand that the other person does not know to look deeply. Responding with compassion helps me be more solid, gives a sense of strength and stability when interacting with those who don't look deeply enough to see my personhood or recognize my strengths.

It is challenging to be spoken to with babytalk and treated with grudging tolerance, when we know that there is so much more inside us which is not communicated. Some people will not look too deeply, and will see us as "less."

I don't mean to triumphantly declare that "we have higher intelligence which 'they' are too stupid to appreciate". I think the true reason more along the lines which you explained, that most people are too unimaginative, presumably through conditioning, to realize that judging someone by appearances is more for Disney movies than real people.

Not long ago I read an essay collection about consumerism, and it had a nice little example story about a guy who by his own account once saw a gorgeous woman carrying a really ugly purse. He wondered why someone that beautiful would have such an ugly purse; then he realized that the purse was a Prada (or a Gucci, I just remember it being a fashionable brand), and immediately decided it was the nicest-looking purse he'd ever seen.

Zoedundas's boss and people like him probably think the same way about people. It's not about what you actually see, it's about the labels it occurs to them to apply. So instead of "she is thinking" you get "she is slow". Instead of "she is uncomfortable with me standing so close, maybe giving her some space would be a good idea" it's "she started stuttering, nevermind that it happened just as I stepped into her space, she must be a complete idiot".

Does anyone else find that people are confused by their high IQ?
I think people look at me and my life circumstances and think that I'm a bit slow when actually my IQ scores around 130 on a bad day (139 is my best score, not a genius but not bad either).
So I get treated like an idiot by bosses, professionals etc when in fact I'm way ahead of them. It drives me mad.

People who have a driving need for social input (most people) and value social skills above all, often mistake lack of social skills as a lack of intelligence. I have experienced this all of my life. I am lucky enough to have a high IQ but have been treated like I was stupid. However, as I got older this treatment got better. Now I am treated much better because I can understand concepts and do things that they can not. I am not any better socially, but I have no desire to be in social situations. So hang in there, sooner or later people will seek you out for what you can do. The same people that treated you like you are stupid.

There is a theory called Multiple Intelligence, which considers several areas to establish strengths and weaknesses. This might help to explain why having a high I.Q. does not necessarily transfer to having a lot of social/workplace success or respect. My reading on this subject tells that it was developed to determine aptitudes in workplace/education situations, with the purpose of developing educational strategies to better serve the aptitudes of diverse learning skills.

Information: http://www.tecweb.org/styles/gardner.html

Here are links to some tests:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/bxb11/MI/rimi2.htm Good test, but not very good presentation of results.

http://www.bgfl.org/bgfl/custom/res.../ks3/ict/multiple_int/questions/questions.cfm Decent test, really good presentation of results (at least for those who relate to visuals/graphs).

Last edited:
Here is my score on the second test.
upload_2016-2-9_12-10-2.png

Last edited:
There is a lot of criticism of the Multiple Intelligence theory, mostly that it relies heavily on individual perceptions and lack of objectivity. There has been little research to further the theory, and what has been done does not really support it, but in an emotional way, it seems valid. But to me, it still depends on a functional level of IQ to best utilize the different Intelligences, and a high IQ does not guarantee effective use of the multiple intelligences.

When I was last formally tested for IQ, I scored 139. Yet, I struggle in many areas, even in those in which I score highly on Multiple Intelligence tests. I have emotional and motivational problems that tend to sabotage my efforts in areas where I have strong abilities and interests. I also have social anxiety issues that stunt my success, since some degree of social aptitude and resilience is valuable in "selling" what you have to offer.

Someone once said, "The only thing that I.Q. test scores accurately reveal are one's ability to do well on I.Q. tests", or words to that effect. The importance of I.Q., like E.Q., is grossly overrated, but people latch onto the results they get because it provides them with an easy number they can use to compare themselves to others they think they are in competition with. It's all about status, and how intelligent a person is perceived to be, and that is why we have these high I.Q. societies that are just an excuse for people to say to each other, "My I.Q. is X, so that means I'm smarter than you are!". I.Q. tests are usually fun to do, but I never take them seriously, and neither should you.

Significant IQ differences also account for a certain degree of resultant alienation; why it is harder for two people to get on the same page. That effect should not be under-estimated and has nothing to do with implied comparative worth.

Is a person's true intelligence really discernable with the current society's "yardsticks?"

I tested into "gifted classes" starting in elementary school. I've gotten grades of "F" to A+ and everything in-between. Yet I have Asperger's, NVLD, and serious anxiety. I sound really stupid when I occasionally try and converse. In fact, I do not enjoy conversation in real life. I do not generally enjoy people. Sometimes I can hide this, but usually people sense it. This increases the judgement behavior on me, increasing the perception of them being smarter than I.

Is a person's true intelligence really discernable with the current society's "yardsticks?".

I don't believe it is possible, myself. While things like EQ and MI have been floated around to try and even things out against IQ, it is still as Bellatrix said, a number with which to compare. It still does not take into account all conditions and the role of perception. It largely still boils down to appearance and the ability to perform.

Here's my results from the first test:

Your Learning Style
Based on your input, you show definite strengths in the following areas of intelligence:

Verbal
Verbal Intelligence

You prefer verbal intelligence, using it with comfort and ease. Given an opportunity, you will usually select it. Becoming an expert should be rewarding and fulfilling, and will require little effort.

Musical Intelligence

You use musical intelligence with some comfort and ease. You could take or leave the application or use of this intelligence. While you accept it, you do not embrace it. Gaining expertise in this intelligence would be satisfying, but would require considerable effort.

Logical/Mathematical Intelligence

You use logical/mathematical intelligence with some comfort and ease. You could take or leave the application or use of this intelligence. While you accept it, you do not embrace it. Gaining expertise in this intelligence would be satisfying, but would require considerable effort.

Spatial Intelligence

You use spacial intelligence with some comfort and ease. You could take or leave the application or use of this intelligence. While you accept it, you do not embrace it. Gaining expertise in this intelligence would be satisfying, but would require considerable effort.

Kinesthetic Intelligence

You use kinesthetic intelligence with some comfort and ease. You could take or leave the application or use of this intelligence. While you accept it, you do not embrace it. Gaining expertise in this intelligence would be satisfying, but would require considerable effort.

Intrapersonal Intelligence

You use intrapersonal intelligence with some comfort and ease. You could take or leave the application or use of this intelligence. While you accept it, you do not embrace it. Gaining expertise in this intelligence would be satisfying, but would require considerable effort.

Interpersonal Intelligence

Interpersonal intelligence is not one of your favorites. You will probably go out of your way to avoid situations where you must exercise this intelligence. Gaining expertise in this intelligence might be frustrating, and would require great effort.

Naturalist Intelligence

You use the naturalist intelligence with some comfort and ease. You could take or leave the application or use of this intelligence. While you accept it, you do not embrace it. Gaining expertise in this intelligence would be satisfying, but would require considerable effort.​

I am not sure what is meant by "intra-personal." Perhaps it deals with understanding your own interiority? Interpersonal, meanwhile, probably has its conventional meaning, as I scored fairly poorly on that one lol.

I think the other one requires a screen shot in order to post here, since it's flash. Unless there's a way to link to a flash image, which I don't think there is. Meh.

I've never had my IQ formally tested, so I don't know what my IQ is, but people (who don't know I have been diagnosed with Asperger's) have remarked to me that I'm intelligent but don't have good people skills. Someone once told me that he was amazed by how much I know and also by how much I don't know.

Results of the first test:

Your Learning Style
Based on your input, you show definite strengths in the following areas of intelligence:

No preference(s) were determined by this survey.

Verbal Intelligence

You use verbal intelligence with some comfort and ease. You could take or leave the application or use of this intelligence. While you accept it, you do not embrace it. Gaining expertise in this intelligence would be satisfying, but would require considerable effort.

Musical Intelligence

Musical is not one of your favorites. You will probably go out of your way to avoid situations where you must exercise this intelligence. Gaining expertise in this intelligence might be frustrating, and would require great effort.

Logical/Mathematical Intelligence

You use logical/mathematical intelligence with some comfort and ease. You could take or leave the application or use of this intelligence. While you accept it, you do not embrace it. Gaining expertise in this intelligence would be satisfying, but would require considerable effort.

Spatial Intelligence

You use spacial intelligence with some comfort and ease. You could take or leave the application or use of this intelligence. While you accept it, you do not embrace it. Gaining expertise in this intelligence would be satisfying, but would require considerable effort.

Kinesthetic Intelligence

Kinesthetic intelligence is not one of your favorites. You will probably go out of your way to avoid situations where you must exercise this intelligence. Gaining expertise in this intelligence might be frustrating, and would require great effort.

Intrapersonal Intelligence

You use intrapersonal intelligence with some comfort and ease. You could take or leave the application or use of this intelligence. While you accept it, you do not embrace it. Gaining expertise in this intelligence would be satisfying, but would require considerable effort.

Interpersonal Intelligence

Interpersonal intelligence is not one of your favorites. You will probably go out of your way to avoid situations where you must exercise this intelligence. Gaining expertise in this intelligence might be frustrating, and would require great effort.

Naturalist Intelligence

The naturalist intelligence is not one of your favorites. You will probably go out of your way to avoid situations where you must exercise this intelligence. Gaining expertise in this intelligence might be frustrating, and would require great effort.

This is pretty much the result I expected. No real surprises here.

What good are I.Q tests without measuring adaptive functioning?
It is just a single facet to help neurologists (and educators) do their job. It is no different than measuring height, weight, lung capacity, blood pressure, etc.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom