• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

hi I'm new here

Caitie33

Hi, I'm a self diagnosed aspie. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was a kid but didn't start to realize I may have aspergers until I read about it in a textbook for a psych. class. By then I had already been in and out of therapy for depression, anxiety, and always felt like there was a root cause why I always felt so different my whole life. I didn't see a point in even thinking much about it until now. I have a four year old son who just started preschool and he is having a lot of trouble. I think maybe it would be a benefit to him if I was diagnosed officially or shared what I speculate with his teachers, problem is that I work for the early childhood program where he attends preschool. It is the first job I actually liked and I hope to be a pre-k instructor in a year or two but if I tell them will it ruin my chances of that? I like working with four year olds, they don't notice that I'm wierd.

Welcome!
The "should I tell?" "should I get a diagnosis?" discussions are big here, because they're big in the community.

If you're surviving ok in the NT world, then telling your employer is probably a not-so-good idea; there's just no benefit. Getting a diagnosis only hurts in the budget because you can keep a secret about yourself easily.

Getting a diagnosis can help you get a better handle on what's actually going on. Without the diagnosis, I was always doubting: am I, or am I not? Once I got my diagnosis, I could say to myself: it's ok, that's just the way you are.

In my case, getting a diagnosis helped my children. My kids are out on their own and have kids of their own - a surprising number of them turned out to be in various places on the spectrum. Had I not got my diagnosis (and shared the info with my kids), they would have struggled until they stumbled upon AS. Knowing I had a diagnosis, they didn't run down a bunch of blind alleys like I did. So my grandkids are getting the resources and help they need sooner than they would have otherwise.

A diagnosis for you probably won't help your son so much, because you're already looking this way. But a diagnosis for him might. And there are pluses and minuses to getting a child a diagnosis, but mostly pluses.

A diagnosis for your son won't hurt your job, also.

Hi Caitie33 Welcome to our community. I can't give advice about getting diagnosed as everyone's reasons & circumstances are different, as is the quality of service that you might get.

I know someone with an ADHD diagnosis but they seem very much more spectrum than that to me. I was never diagnosed with ADHD when I had my ASD diagnosis but I learned recently about ADHD & anger issues which I struggled with a lot when I was younger & that, combined with a poor short term memory & inability to instantly retain data which is verbalized, makes me wonder about overlap here. Hence "spectrum" I guess. Good to meet you & best of luck :)

New Threads

Top Bottom