• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

HFA, Survived life well and happy to be retired

ms grey

Just about sums it up. When I was a kid, people like me were to be evaluated for retardation. Several teachers told my parents that. My mom was concerned, upset but my dad just said "No, she's just like cousin Billy". My Dad's cousin Billy had (He and my Dad are deceased) a bachelor's in math and a masters in physics. He worked for an oil company in Texas. So until the state of CA introduced placement tests when I was 10 resulting in an IQ test, that was the state of things. I had an IQ test result of 140. I had speech issues which mostly resolved themselves when I was 10. I was non-verbal until 4.

Once my IQ was established, the fact that I was quirky was dismissed and the system dealt with the bullies, including abusive parents. I realize I was fortunate and others are not as much. I was also in a small rural school.

Bullying, fluorescent lights. and massive dis-coordination were the biggest issues in school. I managed to control spontaneous crying - at least until I could get alone. That makes bullying worse.

Except for speech therapy, I had minimal outside intervention. I was never examined or labeled as "retarded" due to my Dad's attitude. My brain developed as it was meant to. I do not believe that forcing the issue before its time helps. Speech therapy did little for me except take me out of an environment that I did not like. I am still uncoordinated and have anxiety issues. But I am used to it. Just the way I am.

Engineering was an easy choice as a career. I have been an RF & microwave design engineer, system engineer, project lead. project manager and now retired, living in beautiful New England.

I have found most Aspies easy to work with as opposed to NT. I worked with many engineers and programmers. Single (and sometimes married) NT males are more likely to cause work sex harassment issues. The Aspies were less likely to exaggerate their progress and budget, and so created less issues for me. I felt that part of my job as a manager was to clean the path so everyone could get their work done.

Now I sew, get upset at our current political state of things, do a Buddhist meditation (Buddhist since 1977), do some pagan things, repair the house and generally be happy.

Have been in a relationship for the past 10 years or so. No children by choice as I could not emotionally take someone like my older brother or my mom or two of my cousins. My mom (deceased) and some of her relatives have a personality disorder like anti-social or narcissistic. If I had a child like that, I knew I could not deal. Although I identified most of my life as a geek or nerd, or maybe Aspie, I have recently arrived at HFA. I would have liked a kid like me.

Although I have an aversion to change, I can talk myself into it. I like music and have been told I have perfect pitch although my speaking voice sounds monotonous. I love Lady Gaga. I still love the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. I also like Bing Crosby.

My message to all those struggling - You can get through it with the right friends. I have been recently reviewing a lot of sites. I believe much of the struggle has been external - an exaggeration of an issue that small communities of the past may have just made a place for people.

Both my older brother and I were issues for the school system. My brother would have been diagnosed as ADHD today. I would have been diagnosed as HFA. There is an ongoing on-line professional discussion of if a person can be defined as both ADHD and autistic. I do not believe that a person can be.

My observation upon reviewing Autism sites is that Autism Speaks needs to be flushed. It comes up on the first page in a Google search. Electroshock sounds like something from the dark ages. Behavioral conditioning sounds like dog training. Don't do it.

Taking from Lady Gaga: You were born this way. I was born this way.

Thank you for sharing your story. I too couldn't speak until I was 4. The education and the health system said I would be fine and would catch up but my mum fought them to get me help. I spent the first two years of my education in a speech and language unit where I was able to catch up talking very fast, I was able to use adult words correctly by 6. This was back in 1995-96 when autism was rarely seen as a spectrum condition or that Asperger's was a thing so I was left undiagnosed until I was 24. I did need help with my school work, I was confused by what they were asking me to do and I got overwhelmed with it. I left school with Ds and Es, technically a passing grade. I went on to get a C in maths at college and a degree in ICT.

I've yet to get a job I want. I've worked one job, a hard job. Then I had a breakdown after I was let go for no reason, as well as develop Tourette's afterwards - although not particularly severe; I don't swear. But it's felt very hard trying to adjust to adult life. I hope I'm able to get a job I want and live on my own in the coming years.

People see me and can't 'see' the autism because I act quite 'normal' to them but that just makes it that much more harder when they want me to achieve what they expect.

Anyway, welcome to the forums.

giphy (13).gif

Hi Miss grey,welcome to the site. we're a fun bunch.

I'm not an Engineer, but in all my industrial jobs, these are the people I gravitated to. ( Lord, keep me away from secretaries and sociopathic middle managers) In one job, we were running a project that had a bank of 9 very noisy machines. Now I have sensitivity to noise, but the machines have their own rythm, and I could tell, though they are not necesarilly in sync with one another, that one had a problem. I said to one of the Engineers words to the effect of " I think machine 4 needs tweaking, it doesn't sound right" He looked at it for a few cycles and realised it had a problem, smiled, shook his head and marvelled at how I'd picked it. I think a few of them were used to me by then.

for southern discomfort: finding the "perfect job" never happened for me but I think it never really happens for most. Most just want to get through the day and go home to their other life. Some people are great pains. There are aspects of jobs that were near perfect. As a project lead, I got to do some design, some specification writing, some interaction with other people and interaction with some people who were aware of autism so they were probably more aware of me than I was of myself. Good fortune with your job search.

Pax: sociopathic middle managers and gossip secretaries: Run just run But if the secretary is nice, go out to coffee as he/she can be your friend. I have been friends with more secretaries. They can tell you when to duck when the sociopath is on the warpath.

for southern discomfort: finding the "perfect job" never happened for me but I think it never really happens for most. Most just want to get through the day and go home to their other life. Some people are great pains. There are aspects of jobs that were near perfect. As a project lead, I got to do some design, some specification writing, some interaction with other people and interaction with some people who were aware of autism so they were probably more aware of me than I was of myself. Good fortune with your job search.

Pax: sociopathic middle managers and gossip secretaries: Run just run But if the secretary is nice, go out to coffee as he/she can be your friend. I have been friends with more secretaries. They can tell you when to duck when the sociopath is on the warpath.

Welcome to AC, ms grey. Think that you will like it here. It is a good place to see how we are alike and different.

A thought on the "perfect job". I think that you are right, most people would not describe their job as perfect. I do believe that I came as close as you can with my job and it was pure, dumb luck. I was a tank mechanic in the army. When I got out, there were no openings for a tank mechanic. (Who knew?) So I went to work as a field service technician for a Cat dealership. For me it was as perfect job as I could get. I almost always worked alone and I worked with machines (my special interest). Here we are fifty years later and I am still doing the same thing. The only difference is that I now self employed.

New Threads

Top Bottom