• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Helpful Medications

Shawn D

What are the medications that you have found the most helpful with anxiety and depression? What have been the pros, cons, and side effects? Are there any to avoid and why? Thank you.

I started taking Wellbutrin about a year ago, that has helped me feel better and be more focused, along with a low dose Clonazapam on occasion, which has helped my anxiety. While this has helped me, I have still had some difficulty, and two weeks ago started taking Venlafaxine in a low dose. So far it has really helped my energy levels and given me a good deal of relief from negative thinking. There is a noted side effect of lowered sex drive, which I guess is happening for me. I view this as a good thing, I've long felt a bit envious of the "asexual Aspie" as it removes one of the biggest causes of social anxiety for me.

I hope you find a good Dr. to help you with the decision, my first pDoc was not so helpful, but I have a good one now who really listens to my concerns, and has guided me through the process. Good luck.

I have used Ativan / Xanax for anxiety, work fairly well and fast

at one point I also tried buspar for a month or two in a severe burnout/meltdown sage. It helped with anxiety and OCD a little, but it had instant strong light headed effects. Supposedly buspar takes a while to build up, but that stuff had me really high, so then they cut the dosage down a lot.

Both have been helpful when taken short term, and I greatly dislike taking any kind of medications.

It is worth noting that medecations can have willdy variable effects in some people. For example: whereas Wellbutrin is commonly perscribed and considered one of the "cleaner" antidepressants on the market it cause me to suffer sever side effects, most of which weren't even listed in the literature.

It is important to montitor yourself whenever you are starting a new medecation and to advocate for youself should the medecations not work as they should. It may take some trial and error before you find the right combination of drugs for you. We all have different physiologies, so don't place too much stock in othere people's anecdotes.

Oh, yes, other than feeling a bit out of sorts for the first few days, I've had no other side effects besides the lower sex drive (side effect or symptom relieved?) from the Venlafaxine. I've had no noticeable side effects from the Wellbutrin or Clonazapam.

Thank you all for your input. I'm to start a 3 day trial of Adderall tomorrow morning, about which I am a little concerned, since it can increase anxiety in some, but my doc seemed to think it might help alleviate it, since I have ADD, too.
I have a follow-up next week to possibly add or change to Wellbutrin.
I am most curious about Lexapro, since it's supposedly good for depression, anxiety, and OCD, all of which I have.
I guess it's just going to be trial and error, though my doc did tell me about a company called 23 & Me with an accompanying app "Genetic Genie". You can get your genome mapped and then put the info into the app and it will apparently tell you which medications are best and which to avoid based on which enzymes process them.
She said it's entirely optional, but would provide more detail into what might be the most, and least, effective medications.

It is a bit of trial and error, and with some medications, it takes a few weeks to get up to therapeutic dose levels. During that time you might be experiencing side effects that are uncomfortable, and/or getting worried because you aren't feeling any change. The change can be very gradual or rather dramatic depending on the drug.

I've been trying different medications for over three years, and I've been having good experiences for a year with what I am taking now.

That genetic genie app sounds interesting, if you try it, let us know what it's like.

Medications are such an individual thing some work for some & some work for others. For me I have mild autism with anxiety and depression & also some OCD & ADD. Social anxiety is my worst thing. I'm very sensitive to meds but the ones that have worked for me are benzos. I like being able to take them when I need them, & I can halve the dose if I want. I take a low dose Xanax at night it really helps with sleep and relaxing. Also I take beta blockers for blood pressure but they have a major positive effect on reducing anxiety too. I don't tolerate nor am I a fan of anti-depressants very much, they tend to make me very sick and nauseous, but Lexapro works ok I take a low dose of it. It's helped with depression quite a bit. It's trial and error there's no one answer some work for some some work for others. But for me benzos seem to be the best tolerated.

I did a 3 day trial and have determined that Adderall is NOT my friend.
If you get higher than f*#%, does that mean you don't have ADD?

I think if there is a medication to avoid it'll be down to your own circumstances.
I take risperidone for a variety of reasons, it helps with anxiety and depression; risperidone doubles up as a mood stabilizer. It's an antipsychotic so I doubt it's something your GP would put you on, you'd see a psychiatrist to get it.
In terms of side effects well there's a truckload of really scary ones, from bed wetting to growing breasts and lactating - even if you're a guy! There's also the dreaded tardrive dyskinesia. The medication works for me for the most part though, it's reduced my anxiety and wards of depression for the most part. In terms of side effects all I get it a little bit of sleepiness every now and then.

5HTP and GABA help me a lot. I also find that pot before bed really helps. I just have to be careful what strain I smoke. Indicas can send my head spinning. But sativas are usually good.

New Threads

Top Bottom