• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help Please: Possible Aspie. Very Very long, only read if you're interested in helping :)

The Phantom

Hello everyone,

so just to preface this I am thirteen years old (in case that clears up anything). Yes, I know I'm a bit young to be on a forum (to some of you) but I really need help. And here's why. Note: This is gonna be really disorganized, with really bad spelling (despite being a good Language Arts student) Sorry. I'll try and edit it later, but I need to do this ASAP, hence the typos/slopiness.

I display several OCD-like qualities (Routines. rituals, ruminations, intrusive thoughts, hoarding). So does my brother. My father also says he has OCD, and as well as a lot of his siblings and as well as his parents. They are not diagnosed, because they were born in a much less developed country in the sense of mental health care. Anyhow, for as along as I can remember he has told us that my brother and I have OCD. And I believe him, especially because of the family history (or at least family history of symptoms). After doing much research I have concluded that some of my behaviors are caused by OCD. Note: Some of my behaviors.
I also thought I had ADD, and my dad said he had it too.

I came across Sensory Processing Disorder, and also found that it fit me. While there were some sensory issues, I fit most with the emotional and social aspects.
But lots of disorders have overlapping symptoms, and so I searched if it was possible to have all three of the disorders I thought I had (OCD, ADD, SPD).
However, it seemed that some of the symptoms were so similar it was a bit unlikely, however this is only my unprofessional opinion.

Anyhow, my school did a service day a few months ago, where we we played and did activities with a school for mentally handicapped children (if this is not a correct term, I apologize, but it's the only term I can think of at the moment). To prepare for the day, one of our teachers did a presentation on the school and the kids they taught. They talked about Autism, Downsyndrome, and Aspergers, even though there wouldn't be any kids with Aspergers, but kids who were on the other side of the spectrum. When they talked about Aspergers, she mentioned how it was less obvious, obsessions, and Savants, all that jazz. Now, I have told my best friend about my OCD, but also about my other problems that aren't catergorized under any disorder. Well, some of the basic descriptions she gave of Aspergers fitted me, and my friend and I jokingly exchanged glances whenever she said something that fit.
Moving on to the actual day, there were a variety of different behaviours displayed by the children there. I distinctly remember one kid who has extremely hyper, and constantly head-butted me in the back, which all the kids found hilarious. I also remember another boy who was crying and hated to be touched and was scared by the other kids. My partner and I got a little girl who would have a death grip on my hand and constantly rub her face against my arms like my cat, which REALLY made me uncomfortable. When I was a toddler I used to kiss people and hug, but not very long after I became very uncomfortable with hugging or kissing people on the cheek/being kissed on the cheek. Some people think I'm snobby, my parents just think I'm a bit odd haha. But yeah, I didn't want to be mean to the little girl, because her needs were greater than mine, but I really hated having her rub against me.
Anyway, they set up a huge playground with a bunch of cool toys for the kids to play with. My kid just took a cone that was in the corner and sat down on a mat at the back, and would only play with that, which I found oddly relatable. Well, not exactly that, but it was definitely something I could do. I could just sit in the corner and daydream, which I usually prefer to do during P.E. or any games or sports. I also found some very slight similarities between me and some of the kids, mostly like rocking. I found myself standing against a pillar and just banging against into it repeatedly. This wasn't the first time I've done this, but it was the first time I realized exactly what I was doing, and how similar it was to the behaviors of a kid on the spectrum. I also jiggle my legs during class, which I've always noticed. Also during lunch, my two friends who were my partners for the day left me in charge of the girl (as in making me sit next to her). She didn't know how to use untensils, and didn't even pick up the food with her hands. I didn't really want to help her eat, not trying to be mean, but... I don't know how to explain it. I just felt uncomfortable for me, caring for another kid. And then a teacher got mad and saying that we weren't taking care of her, and started feeding her, saying this is how to treat them. I felt ashamed sitting near the teacher and having her say that. I know she meant well, and couldn't possibly now my reasons for feeling this way, but I still felt terrible.
But only recently have I started to realize these are not normal things. This day is where I started to consider if I had an ASD, because of the kind of other weird habits I had I could see in the other kids too. After doing some research, I found Aspeger syndrome a highly possible explanation. However, I can't ask my parents to get screened. Because they think it's impossible I have Aspergers. They blame everything on either my OCD, or just fault of my character/laziness. And my mom thinks I'm not 'awkward', so she thinks I can't have it. She said herself 'You don't have aspergers. You're not awkward'. I know my parents mena well, but they are very ignorant when it comes to this. They think they've read enough on mental illness, when in reality they haven't

Symptoms: I'm going to talk about all my 'suspicious' habits that I think could help you help me. Even if some of the things are not symptoms, I'll add them just in case. OK, so here we go.

Let's just get this out of the way: I am EXTREMELY sensitive. I've cried over literal spilled milk. My reasoning was that my mother gave it to me, and it was kinda like a gift, but hen I spilled it. Hey, I was about 7. But still. That was my kinda logic. But I cry very easily. When people talk to me sternly, when people yell at my class, even when it's not at me. I also get irrationally sad when another kid (one of my friends, usually a boy) gets in trouble. Not in tourble excactly, but even when someone is like 'Don't do that' I get sad, even if they couldn't care less, no matter how mild it is. It's very odd. Teachers have mentions how I have a 'Deer in the headlights' look when they are talking to me in a serious way. Any form of authority tends to make me nevrous, no matter how benign they are. When teachers express annoyance or disappointment I feel sad for a good portion of the day. I also suffer from low self-esteem but that's a topic for another time, However, you can bet I cry about that too, but not as much as the silly things.
However, I DO NOT cry at sad movies, books, or other things. I don't cry at homecoming videos, or proposals nothing. I've only ever cried once when a friend moved away, and that was a good chunk of my friends. I saw my best friend for the last time, and I didn't bat an eye. When people tell me sad things, I just go like 'Oh' or something like that because i don't know what to say. I seem extremely un empathetic when my friend tells me about a sick parent or relative, and I come across as heartless, despite what I describes in the previous paragraph. People don't see it when I feel sad. But I cry when it's unexpected. don't cry when I'm expected of others to show emotion. That puts people off sometimes.
When my parents reprimand me, I often feel tears. It's been this was since as long as I can remember, only I was expected to grow out of it, cause I'm thirteen now. but I'm still a crybaby. And my parents have gotten so tired of it they've told me to just go and cry, or that I cry for every single thing.

I am also incredibly irritable. My cat bites for no reason and chases after me when I'm trying to relax, and i scream at him. I kicked him once, and my mom went ballistic. I know it's terrible of me to do that, but i can't control it. I yell back at my mom a lot when I think she's being unreasonable, cause she yells a lot. No, this is not me being a typical teen. She actually does. When I try to explain something to her, she says 'You're so argumentative!'. My dad has called me a smart@$$ before (censoring in case of rules). Because I talk back. I often swear at my mom when she's not listening when she yells at me to do stuff. FYI, I HATE being interrupted when I'm watching a video or listening to music. I get into a zone, and when my mom tries to talk to me about random stuff or yells at me to do my work I get extremely mad. I clench my muscles and groan and act very weird. It's an almost wired physical reaction. Sometimes, I cry when I have to go out, cause I was in the middle of something. I need to be told and have time to prepare in advance to go out, or I'll either get angry or cry. I refused to go to dinner the other day because my parents told me to just get dressed and go, but I was sweaty and feeling unclean and I refused to do it, because I wasn't allowed to shower.

A Note: I am currently suffering by a form of depression some way or the other. I don't really know where it came form, but I have a hunch where it's from. More on this later. Although, sometimes I get very giddy with exitment, only to be shot down by sadness. MOre on this another time.

School:- I fail math, and struggle in science. I do ok in science depending on which subject. But Math I always do bad in. Because I never pay any attention when the concepts are explained. This is what led me ot believe I had ADD, along with the foot jiggling. I'm good at language, depending ono the teacher. I'm also good at Social Studies, but I am bad at turning in assignments (as with all my classes).

Music - I do very well in band class usually, getting meeting and exceeding grades (I play trombone) Even though I hate the class, because it's boring. I usually ace my tests, even though I only ever practice about twice a year when my parents force me to It's weird. I can pass a test by using only the 5 minutes of prep time before the test.
However, I play piano as a well, but I struggle with it. I can play hands separate fluently, but when I pay with both hands I'm terrible. It takes me a few moths to play a very easy piece solidly.

School: What I'm good at - One of my two best subjects in Language Arts. I greatly enjoy reading and writing, and I am currently working on some writing pieces at the moments. Anyhow, I almost never get a less-than-average grade in Language Arts. For the sake of keeping this short, I wont' go further. If you wish, I will write more later.
However, my biggest hobby would probably be performing arts. I am greatly involved in my schools Drama program, taking part in school plays and musicals, which my Drama Teacher says I'm very good in. I also an a dancer. This is where my parents start to refuse the idea of aspergers. They think that people with Aspergers are too shy to do Drama work or something of the sort. But believe me, I egt as nervous as anybody, because I feel people will laugh at me for the way I deliver my lines. It doesn't help that I liked a boy in my class, but that's besides the point. I get nervous that EVERYONE will think I'm weird.

Social Life: I can function quite normally at school, but I'm shyer than people think. I usually look people in the eyes only briefly, and focus on either the floor/wall, or another point of their face to mimci eye-contact. This is usually more with boys, even though I don't have any romantic feelings for them. I mean, even if I don't have romantic feelings for them. I act the samea round a boy I have a crush on. I also Don't like talking too much, because I don't like my voice (Very deep for a young girl) and it gets loud unintentionally.And because of how odd it is when it's coming form me, people usually look at me when I'm talking (I mean pretty intensely, and I hate it). But sometimes I'll rattle on and don't realize people are getting bored or fed up. I also hate sall tlak and don't ask people things for the sake of conversation. But mostly I hate it when people expect me to answer. I have a friend who's a small-talker and I loiek her a lot, but it drives me NUTS. I'm scared to approach people who I think are more popular than me, even though I sit with the popular girls at lunch (though I am not popular myself.) But it gets so awkward trying to carry on conversation. I leave as soon as I'm done eating to go to the library and go on my computer or read. I usually prefer to eat lunch in the bathroom, which I've been doing recently. It's just less awkward.
But I don't like going to the gym or outside, especially wearing certain clothes, because I think people are judging me constantly. I wear pretty androgynous/ boyish clothes, and I am quite a tomboy. I enjoy wearing dresses in moderation, but I feel people I'm silly for wearing them. I feel more comfortable in public with more boyish clothes. I feel like people take me more seriously. I also wear the same few T-shirts for various reasons. More on that if you're interested.
I also have friends that are mostly boys. I have friends that are girls, but less. I get along with boys better. Most of the boys in my school find me pretty cool, and I make friends with lots of boys of either older or younger grades.
However, I struggle to initiate friendships, because of my shyness. I recall once seeing a group of kids in my school musical laughing and goofing off before the show (they are a grade/year above me) and going ot the bathroom and crying hysterically because I didn't have friends like that. I think this is a contributing factor to my depression.

Issues/Obsessions:

I have an slight computer addiction. It's what I do most of the time until my parents kick me off. I get up everyday (on a non-school day) and go on my computer first thing. I used to read and draw for hours, until my I got addicted. I have a group of videos I watch everyday, but I always put off watching them because I watch others (due to side/recommended videos) causing me to stay up really late, because I NEED to finish the videos. This is where my OCD rituals differed from my other routines. Because these were not done out of anxiety, but something else. I also have a folder of pictures of fantasy aspects (Heaven+hell, knights,the cosmos that sort of stuff) I have these videos and pictures because like I said I am a writer (well, kinda) and I feel these things help my creative flow and get the tone I want for the story. Most of these youtube videos are of Phantom of the Opera. Weird, I know. I don't really know how to explain. I will go more in-depth on my Phantom obsession in the correct forum. I anyone of you are interested, please tell me and I will give you the link once it's finished.

I have a fantasy/medieval obsession. I used to LOVE playing games where my friends and I would just create a world in our minds and pretend to be different characters. I was usually a Knight/Viking or some kind of rough and tough character. I just loved the imagination used in the game, and how anything was possible, but most of all because it was with my friends. I'm still pretty young, but I miss that TERRIBLY. I hope maybe next school year I can convince some of my friends ( If I have any. My best (girl)friend is moving. I still have my best guy friend, fortunately.) Luckily, some of my friends are still obsessed with Marvel, DC< and anythign in between. One of my best friends is obsessed with Batman, who he claims to be numerous times. My other friend used to call himself Venom.
I also like listening to medieval music and looking at costumes. Long story short, anything related to those kind of aspects. I also enjoy video games. I'm not a gamer girl per say, but I do enjoy the good old Xbox. Probably because I ave an older brother.

My building got renovated, and I was incredibly mad. I hated how they were changing it. I wanted it to be the same. I wanted to make sure I had pictures of the building before they changed it. Even when they changed the security code button pad I was bummed.

I am weirdly drawn to what others consider macabre. I read lot's of horror ( I have a book of the best of H.P. Lovecraft). I also have a fascination with elements of death, and hell. Some of the aspects of this might stem from my OCD, others probably not. It's not an anxious way. I'm not scared of it. I find it, for a lack of better words, epic. I just find it so amazing. Tell me if you're interested in learning more about this.
This obsession if funny, thought. When I was young I was scared to death of the crucifix (didn't help living in a Catholic family :D:eek::oops::rolleyes:)
OH! To add on to this, I was scared of rosaries. I was scared of the crucifix, but also hated the beads+chain. I've always had a problem with necklace chains, but I don't know why. I hate the way they feel, and the look, and everything. I don't know how to explain it. Perhaps I'll talk more abuo it later. But I refuse to wear them. SOME are ok, bust most I can't stand. It bothers me too much. I don't like them touching any of my belongings, or I feel like they become 'tainted'
Anyway, my horror fixation is not only odd because of the crucifix issue. I used to be a total girly-girl, and read books about puppies and kittens and fairies, even when I outgrew them. Funny enough, I still like them AND the whole horror thing. I like both a lot, and it's weird. My room still has the smiley flowers and butterflies from when I was in 1st grade. I'm too embarrassed to let anyone in my room, bu I don't really wanna change it. Not just for stability. I like it. I stilll watch shows for little kids, be it shows for actual babies/toddlers of for 7 year olds. I watched them proudly still about 4th grade (Hannah Montana was a favourite LOL), and then watched them in private. I still watch Disney Channel shows (the good ones, mind you :p)
In short, I have a weird fixation with either horribly adult themes (Things like Jack the Ripper) or ridiculously juvenile ( I recall checking out a book called 'The Playful Puppy' in grade 4 and being asked in front of the class to return it. *Shivers*)

Almost done, I promise!

I used to think all things had souls. Well, most things at least. Main things. I think part of this is my OCD, but possibly part due to my possible Aspergers syndrome. I don't really know. But i used ot get sad when any inanimate object was neglected, or thrown out. I used to feel sorry for it, and tell it that I loved them. ESPECIALLY if they had a face. A face made it all the mroe real to me, and hurt me even more. It's excruciating for me to chuck out anything that is a character, or looks like it could be a living creature. I think this contributes to my hoarding issue.

OkK, my most shameful obsession. I have a slight obsession with people. But unfortunate, it's boys only. And I don't even like them romantically. I have a sketchbook (well, I have many) and I've gone onto the school website, found their school photos, and drew them. I'm just weirdly fascinated by them Like I said before, I write, and I've started to mold characters after them (I've talked to them before and know their general personality). I wish I could monitor who they date, because I feel like they only deserve the best. I usually end up disliking their girlfriends and hoping that they'll break up (which usually happens. They are middle/high schoolers lol) And it's not only for a certain group, I feel that way with a lot of my male friends who I'm not attracted to. Not all of them, but quite a lot. But it's not a motherly kind of worry. It's not a jealous crush way either. I don't know how to feel about it.
I don't know why I feel this way, or how, or anything.
I'm just, in short, just truly drawn to them. I don't know why. Like anything else, I am willing to tlak more about this. Just not on this post. It's long enough as is.

OK! We're done!!! :) So, if you got through this, hats off to you, I'm impressed. I wouldn't make it through this :rolleyes: So, if you've read this. Please tell me what you think. Do I sound like I could be an Aspie? What do you think about my symptoms? What category do you think I fall under, even if you think I'm normal, I need your advice.
Unfortunately, I've become so miserable at home I WANT to have Aspergers. Cause then people wills top treating me like I'm just a bad person/ a run-of-the-mill emo angsty lazy teen.
Well, on that happy note :D please reply! Any feedback is appreciated, and thank you for taking the time out of your day to even glance at this!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

so just to preface this I am thirteen years old (in case that clears up anything). Yes, I know I'm a bit young to be on a forum (to some of you) but I really need help. And here's why. Note: This is gonna be really disorganized, with really bad spelling (despite being a good Language Arts student) Sorry. I'll try and edit it later, but I need to do this ASAP, hence the typos/slopiness.

I display several OCD-like qualities (Routines. rituals, ruminations, intrusive thoughts, hoarding). So does my brother. My father also says he has OCD, and as well as a lot of his siblings and as well as his parents. They are not diagnosed, because they were born in a much less developed country in the sense of mental health care. Anyhow, for as along as I can remember he has told us that my brother and I have OCD. And I believe him, especially because of the family history (or at least family history of symptoms). After doing much research I have concluded that some of my behaviors are caused by OCD. Note: Some of my behaviors.
I also thought I had ADD, and my dad said he had it too.

I came across Sensory Processing Disorder, and also found that it fit me. While there were some sensory issues, I fit most with the emotional and social aspects.
But lots of disorders have overlapping symptoms, and so I searched if it was possible to have all three of the disorders I thought I had (OCD, ADD, SPD).
However, it seemed that some of the symptoms were so similar it was a bit unlikely, however this is only my unprofessional opinion.

Anyhow, my school did a service day a few months ago, where we we played and did activities with a school for mentally handicapped children (if this is not a correct term, I apologize, but it's the only term I can think of at the moment). To prepare for the day, one of our teachers did a presentation on the school and the kids they taught. They talked about Autism, Downsyndrome, and Aspergers, even though there wouldn't be any kids with Aspergers, but kids who were on the other side of the spectrum. When they talked about Aspergers, she mentioned how it was less obvious, obsessions, and Savants, all that jazz. Now, I have told my best friend about my OCD, but also about my other problems that aren't catergorized under any disorder. Well, some of the basic descriptions she gave of Aspergers fitted me, and my friend and I jokingly exchanged glances whenever she said something that fit.
Moving on to the actual day, there were a variety of different behaviours displayed by the children there. I distinctly remember one kid who has extremely hyper, and constantly head-butted me in the back, which all the kids found hilarious. I also remember another boy who was crying and hated to be touched and was scared by the other kids. My partner and I got a little girl who would constantly rub her face against my arms like my cat, which REALLY made me uncomfortable. More on that later. They set up a huge playground with a bunch of cool toys for the kids to play with. My kid just took a cone that was in the corner and sat down on a mat at the back, and would only play with that, which I found oddly relatable. Well, not exactly that, but it was definitely something I could do. I could just sit in the corner and daydream, which I usually prefer to do during P.E. or any games or sports. I also found some very slight similarities between me and some of the kids, mostly like rocking. I found myself standing against a pillar and just banging against into it repeatedly. This wasn't the first time I've done this, but it was the first time I realized exactly what I was doing, and how similar it was to the behaviors of a kid on the spectrum. I also jiggle my legs during class, which I've always noticed. But only recently have I started to realize these are not normal things. This day is where I started to consider if I had an ASD, because of the kind of other weird habits I had I could see in the other kids too. After doing some research, I found Aspegre syndrome a highly possible explanation. However, I can't ask my parents to get screened. Because they think it's impossible I have Aspergers. They blame everything on either my OCD, or just fault of my character/laziness. And my mom thinks I'm not 'awkward', so she thinks I can't have it. She said herself 'You don't have aspergers. You're not awkward'. I know my parents mena well, but they are very ignorant when it comes to this. They think they've read enough on mental illness, when in reality they haven't

Symptoms: I'm going to talk about all my 'suspicious' habits that I think could help you help me. Even if some of the things are not symptoms, I'll add them just in case. OK, so here we go.

Let's just get this out of the way: I am EXTREMELY sensitive. I've cried over literal spilled milk. My reasoning was that my mother gave it to me, and it was kinda like a gift, but hen I spilled it. Hey, I was about 7. But still. That was my kinda logic. But I cry very easily. When people talk to me sternly, when people yell at my class, even when it's not at me. I also get irrationally sad when another kid (one of my friends, usually a boy) gets in trouble. Not in tourble excactly, but even when someone is like 'Don't do that' I get sad, even if they couldn't care less, no matter how mild it is. It's very odd. Teachers have mentions how I have a 'Deer in the headlights' look when they are talking to me in a serious way. Any form of authority tends to make me nevrous, no matter how benign they are. When teachers express annoyance or disappointment I feel sad for a good portion of the day. I also suffer from low self-esteem but that's a topic for another time, However, you can bet I cry about that too, but not as much as the silly things.
However, I DO NOT cry at sad movies, books, or other things. I don't cry at homecoming videos, or proposals nothing. I've only ever cried once when a friend moved away, and that was a good chunk of my friends. I saw my best friend for the last time, and I didn't bat an eye. When people tell me sad things, I just go like 'Oh' or something like that because i don't know what to say. I seem extremely un empathetic when my friend tells me about a sick parent or relative, and I come across as heartless, despite what I describes in the previous paragraph. People don't see it when I feel sad. But I cry when it's unexpected. don't cry when I'm expected of others to show emotion. That puts people off sometimes.
When my parents reprimand me, I often feel tears. It's been this was since as long as I can remember, only I was expected to grow out of it, cause I'm thirteen now. but I'm still a crybaby. And my parents have gotten so tired of it they've told me to just go and cry, or that I cry for every single thing.

I am also incredibly irritable. My cat bites for no reason and chases after me when I'm trying to relax, and i scream at him. I kicked him once, and my mom went ballistic. I know it's terrible of me to do that, but i can't control it. I yell back at my mom a lot when I think she's being unreasonable, cause she yells a lot. No, this is not me being a typical teen. She actually does. When I try to explain something to her, she says 'You're so argumentative!'. My dad has called me a smart@$$ before (censoring in case of rules). Because I talk back. I often swear at my mom when she's not listening when she yells at me to do stuff. FYI, I HATE being interrupted when I'm watching a video or listening to music. I get into a zone, and when my mom tries to talk to me about random stuff or yells at me to do my work I get extremely mad. I clench my muscles and groan and act very weird. It's an almost wired physical reaction. Sometimes, I cry when I have to go out, cause I was in the middle of something. I need to be told and have time to prepare in advance to go out, or I'll either get angry or cry. I refused to go to dinner the other day because my parents told me to just get dressed and go, but I was sweaty and feeling unclean and I refused to do it, because I wasn't allowed to shower.

A Note: I am currently suffering by a form of depression some way or the other. I don't really know where it came form, but I have a hunch where it's from. More on this later. Although, sometimes I get very giddy with exitment, only to be shot down by sadness. MOre on this another time.

School:- I fail math, and struggle in science. I do ok in science depending on which subject. But Math I always do bad in. Because I never pay any attention when the concepts are explained. This is what led me ot believe I had ADD, along with the foot jiggling. I'm good at language, depending ono the teacher. I'm also good at Social Studies, but I am bad at turning in assignments (as with all my classes).

Music - I do very well in band class usually, getting meeting and exceeding grades (I play trombone) Even though I hate the class, because it's boring. I usually ace my tests, even though I only ever practice about twice a year when my parents force me to It's weird. I can pass a test by using only the 5 minutes of prep time before the test.
However, I play piano as a well, but I struggle with it. I can play hands separate fluently, but when I pay with both hands I'm terrible. It takes me a few moths to play a very easy piece solidly.

School: What I'm good at - One of my two best subjects in Language Arts. I greatly enjoy reading and writing, and I am currently working on some writing pieces at the moments. Anyhow, I almost never get a less-than-average grade in Language Arts. For the sake of keeping this short, I wont' go further. If you wish, I will write more later.
However, my biggest hobby would probably be performing arts. I am greatly involved in my schools Drama program, taking part in school plays and musicals, which my Drama Teacher says I'm very good in. I also an a dancer. This is where my parents start to refuse the idea of aspergers. They think that people with Aspergers are too shy to do Drama work or something of the sort. But believe me, I egt as nervous as anybody, because I feel people will laugh at me for the way I deliver my lines. It doesn't help that I liked a boy in my class, but that's besides the point. I get nervous that EVERYONE will think I'm weird.

Social Life: I can function quite normally at school, but I'm shyer than people think. I usually look people in the eyes only briefly, and focus on either the floor/wall, or another point of their face to mimci eye-contact. This is usually more with boys, even though I don't have any romantic feelings for them. I mean, even if I don't have romantic feelings for them. I act the samea round a boy I have a crush on. I also Don't like talking too much, because I don't like my voice (Very deep for a young girl) and it gets loud unintentionally.And because of how odd it is when it's coming form me, people usually look at me when I'm talking (I mean pretty intensely, and I hate it). But sometimes I'll rattle on and don't realize people are getting bored or fed up. I also hate sall tlak and don't ask people things for the sake of conversation. But mostly I hate it when people expect me to answer. I have a friend who's a small-talker and I loiek her a lot, but it drives me NUTS. I'm scared to approach people who I think are more popular than me, even though I sit with the popular girls at lunch (though I am not popular myself.) But it gets so awkward trying to carry on conversation. I leave as soon as I'm done eating to go to the library and go on my computer or read. I usually prefer to eat lunch in the bathroom, which I've been doing recently. It's just less awkward.
But I don't like going to the gym or outside, especially wearing certain clothes, because I think people are judging me constantly. I wear pretty androgynous/ boyish clothes, and I am quite a tomboy. I enjoy wearing dresses in moderation, but I feel people I'm silly for wearing them. I feel more comfortable in public with more boyish clothes. I feel like people take me more seriously. I also wear the same few T-shirts for various reasons. More on that if you're interested.
I also have friends that are mostly boys. I have friends that are girls, but less. I get along with boys better. Most of the boys in my school find me pretty cool, and I make friends with lots of boys of either older or younger grades.
However, I struggle to initiate friendships, because of my shyness. I recall once seeing a group of kids in my school musical laughing and goofing off before the show (they are a grade/year above me) and going ot the bathroom and crying hysterically because I didn't have friends like that. I think this is a contributing factor to my depression.

Issues/Obsessions:

I have an slight computer addiction. It's what I do most of the time until my parents kick me off. I get up everyday (on a non-school day) and go on my computer first thing. I used to read and draw for hours, until my I got addicted. I have a group of videos I watch everyday, but I always put off watching them because I watch others (due to side/recommended videos) causing me to stay up really late, because I NEED to finish the videos. This is where my OCD rituals differed from my other routines. Because these were not done out of anxiety, but something else. I also have a folder of pictures of fantasy aspects (Heaven+hell, knights,the cosmos that sort of stuff) I have these videos and pictures because like I said I am a writer (well, kinda) and I feel these things help my creative flow and get the tone I want for the story. Most of these youtube videos are of Phantom of the Opera. Weird, I know. I don't really know how to explain. I will go more in-depth on my Phantom obsession in the correct forum. I anyone of you are interested, please tell me and I will give you the link once it's finished.

I have a fantasy/medieval obsession. I used to LOVE playing games where my friends and I would just create a world in our minds and pretend to be different characters. I was usually a Knight/Viking or some kind of rough and tough character. I just loved the imagination used in the game, and how anything was possible, but most of all because it was with my friends. I'm still pretty young, but I miss that TERRIBLY. I hope maybe next school year I can convince some of my friends ( If I have any. My best (girl)friend is moving. I still have my best guy friend, fortunately.) Luckily, some of my friends are still obsessed with Marvel, DC< and anythign in between. One of my best friends is obsessed with Batman, who he claims to be numerous times. My other friend used to call himself Venom.
I also like listening to medieval music and looking at costumes. Long story short, anything related to those kind of aspects. I also enjoy video games. I'm not a gamer girl per say, but I do enjoy the good old Xbox. Probably because I ave an older brother.

My building got renovated, and I was incredibly mad. I hated how they were changing it. I wanted it to be the same. I wanted to make sure I had pictures of the building before they changed it. Even when they changed the security code button pad I was bummed.

I am weirdly drawn to what others consider macabre. I read lot's of horror ( I have a book of the best of H.P. Lovecraft). I also have a fascination with elements of death, and hell. Some of the aspects of this might stem from my OCD, others probably not. It's not an anxious way. I'm not scared of it. I find it, for a lack of better words, epic. I just find it so amazing. Tell me if you're interested in learning more about this.
This obsession if funny, thought. When I was young I was scared to death of the crucifix (didn't help living in a Catholic family :D:eek::oops::rolleyes:)
OH! To add on to this, I was scared of rosaries. I was scared of the crucifix, but also haited the bead+chain. I've always had a problem with neclace chain, but I don't know why. I hate the way they feel, and the look, and everything. I don't know how to explain it. Perhaps I'll talk more abuo it later. But I refuse to wear them. SOME are ok, bust most I can't stand. It bothers me too much. I don't like them touching any of my belongings, or I feel like they become 'tainted'
Anyway, my horror fixation is not only odd because of the crucifix issue. I used to be a total girly-girl, and read books about puppies and kittens and fairies, even when I outgrew them. Funny enough, I still like them AND the whole horror thing. I like both a lot, and it's weird. My room still has the smiley flowers and butterflies from when I was in 1st grade. I'm too embarrassed to let anyone in my room, bu I don't really wanna change it. Not just for stability. I like it. I stilll watch shows for little kids, be it shows for actual babies/toddlers of for 7 year olds. I watched them proudly still about 4th grade (Hannah Montana was a favourite LOL), and then watched them in private. I still watch Disney Channel shows (the good ones, mind you :p)
In short, I have a weird fixation with either horribly adult themes (Things like Jack the Ripper) or ridiculously juvenile ( I recall checking out a book called 'The Playful Puppy' in grade 4 and being asked in front of the class to return it. *Shivers*)

Almost done, I promise!

I used to think all things had souls. Well, most things at least. Main things. I think part of this is my OCD, but possibly part due to my possible Aspergers syndrome. I don't really know. But i used ot get sad when any inanimate object was neglected, or thrown out. I used to feel sorry for it, and tell it that I loved them. ESPECIALLY if they had a face. A face made it all the mroe real to me, and hurt me even more. It's excruciating for me to chuck out anything that is a character, or looks like it could be a living creature. I think this contributes to my hoarding issue.

OkK, my most shameful obsession. I have a slight obsession with people. But unfortunate, it's boys only. And I don't even like them romantically. I have a sketchbook (well, I have many) and I've gone onto the school website, found their school photos, and drew them. I'm just weirdly fascinated by them Like I said before, I write, and I've started to mold characters after them (I've talked to them before and know their general personality). I wish I could monitor who they date, because I feel like they only deserve the best. I usually end up disliking their girlfriends and hoping that they'll break up (which usually happens. They are middle/high schoolers lol) And it's not only for a certain group, I feel that way with a lot of my male friends who I'm not attracted to. Not all of them, but quite a lot. But it's not a motherly kind of worry. It's not a jealous crush way either. I don't know how to feel about it.
I don't know why I feel this way, or how, or anything.
I'm just, in short, just truly drawn to them. I don't know why. Like anything else, I am willing to tlak more about this. Just not on this post. It's long enough as is.

OK! We're done!!! :) So, if you got through this, hats off to you, I'm impressed. I wouldn't make it through this :rolleyes: So, if you've read this. Please tell me what you think. Do I sound like I could be an Aspie? What do you think about my symptoms? What category do you think I fall under, even if you think I'm normal, I need your advice.
Unfortunately, I've become so miserable at home I WANT to have Aspergers. Cause then people wills top treating me like I'm just a bad person/ a run-of-the-mill emo angsty lazy teen.
Well, on that happy note :D please reply! Any feedback is appreciated, and thank you for taking the time out of your day to even glance at this!

Thank you!

Phantom, you are safe here, you will find friends and supporters that will give you their best advice and encourage you to excel. You are not abnormal, diseased or disabled. You are perfectly human and your story is typical for us.
I am 67, diagnosed about a month ago and despised by virtually everyone I knew including my own family. I became a loner.
I think all of us here understand you and the troubles you and we have experienced.
Before you start trying to change one thing about yourself, please take this one bit of advise: look up possible Aspergers contenders throughout history, re word the search until you find a list or lists, past and present. I think that with that perspective in mind you may find that you are in the best of company.
Post often and thanks for sharing.

You sound so much like me, when I was your age. (Self diagnoses Aspie here). I have tamed the OCD via sheer will power and, that took me until I was in my late 20's to accomplish. I excelled in Language Arts and Music classes (both band and choir). To this day, my closest friends are musicians, some from different countries but, we all speak music. (and a little of each other's language.)

No doubt many have given you the idea that Asperger's is a defect, disease or somehow means something is wrong with you. I was fortunate, I had a Senior year English teacher that gave me one bit of advice which I never forgot. "Weird is different and, different is beautiful." So don't be afraid to be yourself, even if others think you are weird because weird is just another word for different and, different is beautiful.

If you want to change a behavior, you can, it may take years but, you can do it.

Sounds familiar, including the unsympathetic mom input. Especially that.

I remember a shock of recognition when I found a book titled, You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Crazy, or Stupid?! It explained ADHD (one of my co-morbid conditions - ie, meaning it often occurs with, or because of, neurological weird wiring). And several others you mention.

You are not lazy, crazy, of bad moral character, or stupid because of it. Anybody can choose to be bad, but the rest of it is a family member trying to put some distance between themselves and something they don't understand.

If you can avoid learning to "internalize" your family's messages as somehow "true," you will save yourself a world of hurt. I repeat: these messages about being lazy or stupid are not true.

If you can remember that as flawed human beings they make mistakes, and these particular judgments are a mistake, and you know it and just can't prove it, it may help.

One of my particular refuges as a teen was medieval history: a lot of very famous people who ran entire countries--often more than one--share a degree of weirdness that befuddled their contemporaries. If you like medieval history, take a look at the last legitimate queen of Castile.

Definitely odd, but surprisingly competent and creative. Until her family boxed her into a corner she couldn't get out of with treatment that will drive a human being clinically insane. History knows her as Juana the Mad. If you can find the book Seek the Darkness, there's a fine story there.

Sounds familiar, including the unsympathetic mom input. Especially that.

I remember a shock of recognition when I found a book titled, You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Crazy, or Stupid?! It explained ADHD (one of my co-morbid conditions - ie, meaning it often occurs with, or because of, neurological weird wiring). And several others you mention.

You are not lazy, crazy, of bad moral character, or stupid because of it. Anybody can choose to be bad, but the rest of it is a family member trying to put some distance between themselves and something they don't understand.

If you can avoid learning to "internalize" your family's messages as somehow "true," you will save yourself a world of hurt. I repeat: these messages about being lazy or stupid are not true.

If you can remember that as flawed human beings they make mistakes, and these particular judgments are a mistake, and you know it and just can't prove it, it may help.

One of my particular refuges as a teen was medieval history: a lot of very famous people who ran entire countries--often more than one--share a degree of weirdness that befuddled their contemporaries. If you like medieval history, take a look at the last legitimate queen of Castile.

Definitely odd, but surprisingly competent and creative. Until her family boxed her into a corner she couldn't get out of with treatment that will drive a human being clinically insane. History knows her as Juana the Mad. If you can find the book Seek the Darkness, there's a fine story there.

Yes, I had a similar feeling when I heard of the Inattentive type of ADHD/ADD, in a book about medication. They created a fictional kid + scenario to explain all the different behaviors. The kid was a teen boy who had ADD inattentive type (if I recall correctly) and his father just said that he was lazy. Even though I'm not too sure if I have ADD or not (I hope to consult a professional) I still relate to the situation.

That quote about how anyone can choose to be bad really stuck out to me. And thank you for understanding both me and my family's viewpoints. Of course, I would want someone to see my side of the story, but also realize while my parents may have inappropriate actions, the intentions themselves are not cruel, and they are just failing to understand. The only problems is they can be a bit stubborn when it comes to seeing the other side, not like I'm any better :rolleyes: Thank you for your advice on understanding their judgments.

I've always been into medieval fantasy, but history is definitely something worth looking into for me. And I will surely be looking up 'Seek the Darkness' or at least research the queen.

You're advice has been invaluable, I cannot thank you enough! It seems so surreal to finally have people listen and understand this part of me, let alone people who I've never met :D:eek:

Thank you!!!!

Post often and thanks for sharing.[/QUOTE]
Phantom, you are safe here, you will find friends and supporters that will give you their best advice and encourage you to excel. You are not abnormal, diseased or disabled. You are perfectly human and your story is typical for us.
I am 67, diagnosed about a month ago and despised by virtually everyone I knew including my own family. I became a loner.
I think all of us here understand you and the troubles you and we have experienced.
Before you start trying to change one thing about yourself, please take this one bit of advise: look up possible Aspergers contenders throughout history, re word the search until you find a list or lists, past and present. I think that with that perspective in mind you may find that you are in the best of company.

Yes, I only joined yesterday but everyone is so understanding! Probably because they are part of a community that can be so misunderstood sometimes. And it's just hard to believe I'm perfectly normal when if others heard this about me they would surely ridicule or talk snidely about it. Most of all I can't believe this is a typical sotry for you all, when I thought despite Aspergers being normal, I though what I specifically did was different from other Aspies. I'm sure I still have much to learn.
Whenever I tried to approach my friends about me possibly having Aspergers, they were supportive, but always disagreed with what I was saying. My best friend has no doubts about me having OCD, but when I approached her about Aspergers, she said 'It's possible, but highly unlikely.' What bothered me about that (besides the obvious) was that she's very knowledgeable, but not very well-read in on the subject of any mental/pysch/neurological/developmental disorders. I'm not saying she isn't smart in that area, just that she doesn't read as obseesivley about it as I do to understand the enormous variety and spectrum and symptoms and behovious. I don't blame her. But she had no idea about the half of what I listed above before she said that. Probably because I don't fit the typical introvert (though I am) who is an uncomprehendable genius in math, science, or something of the sort. Nor do I have a High Enough IQ to join MENSA (though I have a classmate who I suspect to have Aspergers (not trying to blindly assume, I'm just curious) who claims to be a genius at math and science (not trying to ridicule, I just haven't seen it for myself to really now) who also said that he is a part of MENSA. So if you both happen to be aspies, we'd definitely be opposites in that aspect.
By the way, pardon my odd excitement, but it's so interesting to be bale to talk to a 67 year old Aspie. They usually seem much younger. Sorry if this sounds weird or offends you, but in a away I am happy for your diagnosis. probably because I would be overjoyed if I got an official diagnosis, because at least some people would begin to understand. I'm very sorry about your family. I don't want to say anything about your family, because I don't know the situation. But either way, at the very least, you've got friends here :)
And that is very creative advice, I must say. I have searched up possible people with Aspergers int he past, when I was first looking into it (aspergers) to see it as an possible explanation. Especially because everyone of the spectrum is so different. Of course, I found the usual, such as Einstein, whose story of failure in school really inspired me. However, I still find it hard to relate to him, because he was such an amazing scientist, while I could hardly be considered a whiz at anything (at least to others). Drama doesn't seem to count to some people :p
However, I did find two that really stood out to me. None of these are official, but just speculations, however I saw that two poeple who were likely to either have or be diagnosed with Aspergers were Marilyn Monroe and Robin Williams. What surprised was the unlikely profession of acting these two had, despite if they had Aspergers. To some people less informed, they would never think that an actor or performer would have Aspergers, because it's supposed to 'make you shy/awkward' I don't know too much about Robin, because there aren't that many articles, but apparently Marilyn Monroe was very shy off camera, and was very intelligent, with an IQ of 161.
But I will definitely be researching more contenders soon, thank you for the tip, and most of all your understanding. Your advice means a lot.
And I will without a doubt keep posting/updating

Thank you!

Yes, I only joined yesterday but everyone is so understanding! Probably because they are part of a community that can be so misunderstood sometimes. And it's just hard to believe I'm perfectly normal when if others heard this about me they would surely ridicule or talk snidely about it. Most of all I can't believe this is a typical story for you all, when I thought despite Aspergers being normal, I though what I specifically did was different from other Aspies. I'm sure I still have much to learn.
Whenever I tried to approach my friends about me possibly having Aspergers, they were supportive, but always disagreed with what I was saying. My best friend has no doubts about me having OCD, but when I approached her about Aspergers, she said 'It's possible, but highly unlikely.' What bothered me about that (besides the obvious) was that she's very knowledgeable, but not very well-read in on the subject of any mental/pysch/neurological/developmental disorders. I'm not saying she isn't smart in that area, just that she doesn't read as obseesivley about it as I do to understand the enormous variety and spectrum and symptoms and behovious. I don't blame her. But she had no idea about the half of what I listed above before she said that. Probably because I don't fit the typical introvert (though I am) who is an uncomprehendable genius in math, science, or something of the sort. Nor do I have a High Enough IQ to join MENSA (though I have a classmate who I suspect to have Aspergers (not trying to blindly assume, I'm just curious) who claims to be a genius at math and science (not trying to ridicule, I just haven't seen it for myself to really now) who also said that he is a part of MENSA. So if you both happen to be aspies, we'd definitely be opposites in that aspect.
By the way, pardon my odd excitement, but it's so interesting to be bale to talk to a 67 year old Aspie. They usually seem much younger. Sorry if this sounds weird or offends you, but in a away I am happy for your diagnosis. probably because I would be overjoyed if I got an official diagnosis, because at least some people would begin to understand. I'm very sorry about your family. I don't want to say anything about your family, because I don't know the situation. But either way, at the very least, you've got friends here :)
And that is very creative advice, I must say. I have searched up possible people with Aspergers int he past, when I was first looking into it (aspergers) to see it as an possible explanation. Especially because everyone of the spectrum is so different. Of course, I found the usual, such as Einstein, whose story of failure in school really inspired me. However, I still find it hard to relate to him, because he was such an amazing scientist, while I could hardly be considered a whiz at anything (at least to others). Drama doesn't seem to count to some people :p
However, I did find two that really stood out to me. None of these are official, but just speculations, however I saw that two poeple who were likely to either have or be diagnosed with Aspergers were Marilyn Monroe and Robin Williams. What surprised was the unlikely profession of acting these two had, despite if they had Aspergers. To some people less informed, they would never think that an actor or performer would have Aspergers, because it's supposed to 'make you shy/awkward' I don't know too much about Robin, because there aren't that many articles, but apparently Marilyn Monroe was very shy off camera, and was very intelligent, with an IQ of 161.
But I will definitely be researching more contenders soon, thank you for the tip, and most of all your understanding. Your advice means a lot.
And I will without a doubt keep posting/updating

Thank you!

P, it seems to me that some Aspers strive mightily and succeed to function within the cultural norms and memes. I could not. The artifice and conformity irked me, and my lack of regard for what was expected of and for me was intolerable. I was true to my ideals, and did ok.
For most humans the brain is not fully developed until the mid 20s, that I infer means that critical reasoning skills are not up to optimum levels until that age. I am not sure but I think Aspers are way ahead of the curve in that regard, our isolation allows us to develop systems to perceive and think in unusual ways.
When friends are doing the stupid stuff we may be inclined to say, " you are acting stupidly." That may not be the way to win friends and influence people, but we have reason and truth and courage on our side.
I think that Aspers strive to be rational people. I think society rewards rationalizing people. We are different but we are not inferior. You're young and mature beyond your years, stick around here, open your mind to possibilities and influence the cultural paradigm.

You sound so much like me, when I was your age. (Self diagnoses Aspie here). I have tamed the OCD via sheer will power and, that took me until I was in my late 20's to accomplish. I excelled in Language Arts and Music classes (both band and choir). To this day, my closest friends are musicians, some from different countries but, we all speak music. (and a little of each other's language.)

No doubt many have given you the idea that Asperger's is a defect, disease or somehow means something is wrong with you. I was fortunate, I had a Senior year English teacher that gave me one bit of advice which I never forgot. "Weird is different and, different is beautiful." So don't be afraid to be yourself, even if others think you are weird because weird is just another word for different and, different is beautiful.

If you want to change a behavior, you can, it may take years but, you can do it.

Before I start, I see you're a new member as well! It's nice to take advice from someone new in addition to V.I.P members :)
Anyway, that's really inspiring to hear a story from someone who used to be like me, especially another with OCD who has overcome it! As well as hearing another person gifted in Language Arts and music! I would love to have a group of friends like you do, only problem is that all the musicians in my grade do it for the grades and awards/accolades, rather than to just make and write music.

I guess I've subconsciously gotten the idea Aspergers meant something was wrong with me, because of how different it was compared to the people around me. How easy it was for them to do well in school and make friends. But the problem is it's so easy to disguise (especially in girls), that people have no idea, and just think it's just a flaw of character. I myself was taught about Aspergers in such a foreign way I would have never considered it up until now, because they mad it seem quite alien, when it was perfectly normal and abundant around me. The same goes for my depression. I had no idea how many teens suffered from depression, and that kids around me were to. I would have never though what I had was depression, because of how intensely it is portrayed, when really it varies.
When confronted about my OCD, the advice my parents, especially my mom, gave was just 'So now that you've searched it up, you need to train yourself and learn how to get over it', as if it is that easy for me, despite how much I've begged for professional help. But even with my OCD, my parents never see the biggest parts of the issue. They don't see how I am almost always dehydrated, because I don't drink water at school to avoid having to use the bathroom there. They don't see how torturous it is to throw out useless objects. They only see me carrying around a pocket antibac, which I'm learning more and more each day to use less, so at least I'm improving on that :cool:
I've lived in the shadow of my older brother my whole life, not just academically. He has very bad OCD, and suffers panic attacks and has many vocal and physical tics, screaming out swear words at the smallest of issues. My parents feel sorry for him, and I do too, I really do. but he gets away with not doing work and chores because he's had a hard life. They have absolutely no idea about any of this, least of all my depression. I've told them about some of my problems with OCD, and they've just said 'but it's not that bad' It just goes to show how people make ANY disorder out to be rare, when in reality it couldn't be more normal.
Sorry I've rattled on about this :oops: I just need to let it out.

However, despite this, I really like that quote from your English teacher! That is ultimately what my school tries to teach, though my peers don't take it the same way. What they consider beautiful are clones with different hair colors, the excact same vapid and balloon-like personality. There's absolutely no variety, and out of that group, on personality alone I'm the least popular, not even MENTIONING the looks. Oh well. I know people like my personality now, and I know one day they'll really value it over the meaningless fun they're getting now. Someday ;)

Thank you for sharing your story and that quote! You're advice means a lot!

Yeah, that germaphobia thing is hard. I still carry hand sanitizer, don't use it much here in the USA anymore, I can wash my hands and, that's enough. Abroad, I definitely use it, sanitation is not always as good as it is here. I also use it, on a piece of tissue, to wipe the seat before I sit in a public restroom - even if the y offer seat protectors (besides the sanitizer helps the protector stay in place.)

Don't just look to your local peers for friendship, I met my first real musician friends via a pen pal program. My pen pal ended up joining a band, the band made it to moderate fame. They came to the US on tour and stayed with me for 2 months :) Well, some of them are still performing, one has his own record label, another is a talent scout now. Because of them, I have met many more musicians. Most I have met in person, only 8 I chat online and via phone with that I have not met face to face yet and, I will meet 4 of them this summer, only have 4 days but, that's time to jam. :)

And don't let age be a factor either, I have two from overseas that call me their "US Mom" LOL I am near the age of their mothers but we met through my first musical friends because I write lyrics, so business tuned friendship.

Before I start, I see you're a new member as well! It's nice to take advice from someone new in addition to V.I.P members :)
Anyway, that's really inspiring to hear a story from someone who used to be like me, especially another with OCD who has overcome it! As well as hearing another person gifted in Language Arts and music! I would love to have a group of friends like you do, only problem is that all the musicians in my grade do it for the grades and awards/accolades, rather than to just make and write music.

I guess I've subconsciously gotten the idea Aspergers meant something was wrong with me, because of how different it was compared to the people around me. How easy it was for them to do well in school and make friends. But the problem is it's so easy to disguise (especially in girls), that people have no idea, and just think it's just a flaw of character. I myself was taught about Aspergers in such a foreign way I would have never considered it up until now, because they mad it seem quite alien, when it was perfectly normal and abundant around me. The same goes for my depression. I had no idea how many teens suffered from depression, and that kids around me were to. I would have never though what I had was depression, because of how intensely it is portrayed, when really it varies.
When confronted about my OCD, the advice my parents, especially my mom, gave was just 'So now that you've searched it up, you need to train yourself and learn how to get over it', as if it is that easy for me, despite how much I've begged for professional help. But even with my OCD, my parents never see the biggest parts of the issue. They don't see how I am almost always dehydrated, because I don't drink water at school to avoid having to use the bathroom there. They don't see how torturous it is to throw out useless objects. They only see me carrying around a pocket antibac, which I'm learning more and more each day to use less, so at least I'm improving on that :cool:
I've lived in the shadow of my older brother my whole life, not just academically. He has very bad OCD, and suffers panic attacks and has many vocal and physical tics, screaming out swear words at the smallest of issues. My parents feel sorry for him, and I do too, I really do. but he gets away with not doing work and chores because he's had a hard life. They have absolutely no idea about any of this, least of all my depression. I've told them about some of my problems with OCD, and they've just said 'but it's not that bad' It just goes to show how people make ANY disorder out to be rare, when in reality it couldn't be more normal.
Sorry I've rattled on about this :oops: I just need to let it out.

However, despite this, I really like that quote from your English teacher! That is ultimately what my school tries to teach, though my peers don't take it the same way. What they consider beautiful are clones with different hair colors, the excact same vapid and balloon-like personality. There's absolutely no variety, and out of that group, on personality alone I'm the least popular, not even MENTIONING the looks. Oh well. I know people like my personality now, and I know one day they'll really value it over the meaningless fun they're getting now. Someday ;)

Thank you for sharing your story and that quote! You're advice means a lot!

The social and popular run about like a thundering herd of turkeys.
Sure I heard of turkeys.
No I mean a turkey herd
Why would anyone care what a turkey heard.
Be an eagle and soar in the rarified atmosphere!

My advice: don't expend energy trying to convince (NT) people that you have Aspergers, don't worry about whether (NT) people know or understand that about you. Be happy in the fact that you now understand it about yourself.

I was fortunate, I had a Senior year English teacher that gave me one bit of advice which I never forgot. "Weird is different and, different is beautiful."

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well"

- School Counsellor; 2009.

Seriously.

I am EXTREMELY sensitive. I've cried over literal spilled milk.

You will grow out of that in time.

Insofar as the rest of what you're saying, OCD can be a part of Asperger's.

My advice: don't expend energy trying to convince (NT) people that you have Aspergers, don't worry about whether (NT) people know or understand that about you. Be happy in the fact that you now understand it about yourself.
Thank you, I realize that's probably the most important; to understand myself and make the best of that.

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well"

- School Counsellor; 2009.

Seriously.

That's very true.

You will grow out of that in time.

That's what they always say ;) haha but yeah, I think it will get better. I do think I'll always be a sensitive person, but I think with age I'll get better.

Insofar as the rest of what you're saying, OCD can be a part of Asperger's.

Yeah I've read that the two can be linked. Especially because of some of the overlapping symptoms (i.e. rituals, obsessions). Do you mean that someone with Aspergers can also have OCD as 'a part' of Aspergers?

Anyway, thank you for the input.

That's very true.

That's what they always say ;) haha but yeah, I think it will get better. I do think I'll always be a sensitive person, but I think with age I'll get better.

Yeah I've read that the two can be linked. Especially because of some of the overlapping symptoms (i.e. rituals, obsessions). Do you mean that someone with Aspergers can also have OCD as 'a part' of Aspergers?

Anyway, thank you for the input.

P. I am not a diagnostician but I think I see Aspers generally socially inept, somewhat detached, focused, and high bandwidth. Boorish but brilliant.
All the other aspects are subsets. I could be wrong.

i'm 31.. and as many here already said.. you sound very similar to many of us. i'm also trying to figure out how to tell my father. i also ramble far too much so i'll try to keep this brief... basically, i figured out i probably had aspergers years ago (or similar.. high functioning autism, whatever.. in my mind it's all the same thing on a slightly different spot of a giant scale) and even others online who never met me suspected it (i mean, around 10 years ago..).. so to me, it's no surprise. recently, a psych finally verbalized that i most likely have an autism spectrum disorder (they don't like to officially label anything.. it costs them money and paperwork) so thats the closest i'm going to get to an "official" word.

anyway, as far as telling your family.... what if you presented the symptoms instead of the diagnosis? so instead of saying "i think i have aspergers" just say "well, you know i have OCD... and ADD, and emotional problems, and ____________" and keep listing everything. even write it down if you need to. especially the sensory stuff (for example.. i hate summer. as a statement, that just sounds like i'm an anti social person who doesn't like going out.... and while those are symptoms, what it boils down to is that there are so many social expectations when going out that when you couple it with more activity such as motorcycles and kids yelling/playing outside (noise) and the added sun (i can feel my skin burning within 1-2 minutes of direct sunlight or even minor cloud cover.. although i don't have any typical sunburn appearance for an hour or so, when a "normal" person would start to feel the same sunburn i do in 1-2 minutes time) and it starts to make more sense

ultimately it's up to you. you don't "need" to get a diagnosis... if you know what's wrong, you can learn how to fix it. you're obviously intelligent so that isn't a problem (there's a lot of great youtube videos relating to autism, aspergers and sofourth.. since it's all on the same idea they can all be helpful in their own way) and you can work on it that way while trying to get your family to help support 1 specific issue after another (focus on sensory problems.. when you can solve those, the other issues start to fix themselves much much easier. but don't kill yourself...... the eye thing for example, you may never be able to look a person in the eye. i know, i try... i can get up to about 3 seconds before needing to float to another part of the face if not away from them entirely... and honestly, that is REALLY pushing it for a true necessity purpose........ but instead, maybe focus on their nose.. or 1 eye.. or an eyebrow...... anything on their face. people like to know you're paying attention so even if they're not positive that you're looking at their eyes, you're still looking at their face and they'll believe you're looking at their eyes or atleast it will suffice so they know you're paying attention. eventhough you can be looking at a bird in a tree and pay more attention to them then than looking at their face lol)
but what i wanted to get to was.. while you don't "need" a diagnosis... if things were to get a bit worse or simply not improve at the pace needed for college, a diagnosis would help you to get into college. and, again, clearly you're intelligent and enjoy researching topics of interest.. so if you have something you really enjoy doing at that time, you'll probably want to go to college for it.

to boil it all down....... make sure you don't lose yourself. keep the things you're passionate about. although you did mention drawing and such.. you also mentioned what i refer to as "people watching". again, it's similar to myself.. and honestly i have not figured out how to turn that into a career path. i know there's things such as being a psychiatrist and such, maybe a couples therapist... or even just working in a human resources related capacity. or i'm totally wrong and you'll end up wanting to make claymation movies (hey, i like them anyway lol). i can't say what you should focus on, but don't lose your focus when you do find it. the thing you always enjoy coming back to will be the thing you always want to do. i had some major family problems when i was about your age and i had to become an adult instantly at that age and it wasn't easy (mother was schizophrenic, father had a bipolar breakdown.. grandfather died, who lived with us.. my cat died, sounds silly but he was my best friend then.. and it all happened within 1 year time) so i kind of lost everything before that point and went into auto-pilot since then. because of it, i don't want to see anybody else do the same. potential is a phenomenal thing..... and people with aspergers have the level of focus it takes to tap into that potential and do world altering things. whether you want to or not is another story.. i'm not trying to add any pressure to your life. you could simply become a freelance artist doing what you love making a living at it.

and, for the fun of it.. you can take the "raads" test online. its "not an official test" and all that but i believe it's fairly accurate, i think others here would agree. and it could be another way of communicating your concerns with your family.... maybe have everybody do the test and compare scores. if you're anything like me, the circle graphs are fun lol

OCD and Aspergers are not, technically, "parts" of each other. You can have either one without having the other.

They often coincide. That's not the same.

P, it seems to me that some Aspers strive mightily and succeed to function within the cultural norms and memes. I could not. The artifice and conformity irked me, and my lack of regard for what was expected of and for me was intolerable. I was true to my ideals, and did ok.
For most humans the brain is not fully developed until the mid 20s, that I infer means that critical reasoning skills are not up to optimum levels until that age. I am not sure but I think Aspers are way ahead of the curve in that regard, our isolation allows us to develop systems to perceive and think in unusual ways.
When friends are doing the stupid stuff we may be inclined to say, " you are acting stupidly." That may not be the way to win friends and influence people, but we have reason and truth and courage on our side.
I think that Aspers strive to be rational people. I think society rewards rationalizing people. We are different but we are not inferior. You're young and mature beyond your years, stick around here, open your mind to possibilities and influence the cultural paradigm.

I do function fairly well, but I do struggle a lot. I have my moments where people can tell, but usually I'm good at disguising it. I think one of the biggest problems I have trying with the expectation to conform mostly comes from my mother. Allow me to explain. I have an older brother, and that's it. So we're kind of the 'ideal' family for some. My mother had many friends who were very jealous when I was born, because they had only sons, and they wanted a daughter. My mom got what she wanted though. When I was a baby up until about 10 years old, I was a very feminine/girly. My favorite color has always been Yellow, but I loved pinks and glitter and the like. I also liked wearing barrettes with all the girly designs and such. but I stopped wearing them cause I wanted them to stay completely in place, and not move. I always wanted it to be 'tighter'. But that's a different issue, but I think it's related to my OCD, I'm not too sure. Anyhow, I started turning into a tomboy around 5th grade. My room was still the same after all those years, but I wore either my brothers hand-me downs, or very plain/sporty girls clothes, and I started befriend a lot more boys, even though I always had male friends. I wore headbands in place of barrettes and never wore skirts since. It wasn't a 'rebellious' thing, It's just what I liked. Unfortunately my mother is upset baout this and wants me to be more feminine, thinking that It would improve my social life. She outright REFUSES to let me dress up as a boy character for halloween or any school costume days. Before she would have allowed it, but since I've gotten more boyish she's been acting different. She get's mad when I don't want to wear earings or lipgloss, or anythign like that, even when I tell her it's too dressed-up for me, and I know people would comment. Not insult, but i still don't like it when people mention it.
Anyway, I do see where you're coming from with the brain development. I can see how isolation helps to think deeper about certain subjects, I find that moreso than talking with a friend (usually. And while i can't think of a specific example, I often find myself telling my friends what they're doing is idiotic, and they think I'm uptight/unfun or just being silly.
And thank you, I will definatley be sticking around no matter my diagnosis. I do wish to be an author (even not as my main job, but a hobby) one day, so maybe I can create my own influence :cool: haha just a passing thought.

New Threads

Top Bottom