• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello

Lifesahaze

I'm never sure what to say in these messages but hello! I was recently diagnosed with Asperger's, but it's been suggested for years and years. I'm in my late 30s now. It's been such a relief to be honest, particularly as I've had some pretty horrific experiences at school and work over the years.

I find friendships difficult, and although I'm friendly (mostly) I just never manage with the meeting up stuff. I also find it hard to say the right thing at the right time - and get stuck echoing things others say. I've got into trouble a lot with that one.

Not sure what else to say, but I'm hoping to make some friends somewhere along the way.

I know what you mean about never knowing what to say and I tend to say too much lol

Anyway, honestly and I do keep saying this, you seriously have done yourself a great service in joining aspie central.

I have joined a few forums through the years and one thing that struck me fast was how "lazy" the forums were; very inactive basically and after the inital couple of ones responding, none which really went along way to making me feel welcome ( sarcasm).

I am really bad at social interactions; and can count on one hand, the amount of times I have come away from a social function and felt happy; doesn't even take one hand!

I am known to be friendly, but that doesn't seem to equate with making friends. I can smile and be kind etc etc but as soon as I say what is perceived as inappropriate, suddenly my efforts mean nothing!

Oh boy I am FANTASTIC at echoing what others say; but have developed a knack of saying that such and such said a really amazing thing and I must steal it and thus, doesn't matter.

I took to making a lighthearted comment to find out if the person I was with like me or not, since I could not tell and it works a treat, but takes courage. I just say: I know you are sad to see me go, because I am such a wonderful person and it gets a great response back. :rolleyes:

Oh and I am a self diagnosed aspie and hope one day, when things change I can get my professional diagnosis.

latest
cc3a7b9c8b895f6e2529a06873431c2f.png

Welcome! I think many (most?) of us here have problems with friendships. School and work, too. One of the benefits of being self-employed!

Thanks guys, I've always thought of joining this site but never had the courage to get on and join. (And was always worried no one would reply!)

New Threads

Top Bottom