• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Heat, Anxiety and Episodes

Plant13

Here in SC its that time, famously hot, about 101 by noon with the humidity. Yesterday those factors, add in a bad time at the car repair shop and it was on. I felt like my skin was splitting and I was about to burst out. Even after I got home, was alone and had time to breath and cool off I was in a high state of distress, and I couldn't stop SMILING. That's new. I got onto the chat room here and met some very nice folks and got some relief. Actually all the way home I kept thinking I could get on here and SOMEONE would empathize. So thanks for being here, and I hope that today I can control things inside me a little better. Its never dull.

Interesting, wonder if Aspies have difficulty in controlling body temperature? Live in the northern part of Canada, where it's cold most of the year. At the moment in July (our hottest month of the year) it's not topped 70F except for once in May. When it's hotter than that, I find it difficult to do much of anything and become testy and sometimes bad tempered in hot weather. And I have more meltdowns, than I do any other time of the year. Wonder if meltdowns are seasonal?

Heat wipes me out... I get sick at times and start sweating like a mule. I hate rushing time but I cant wait for fall. Im in Texas right now and its hitting about 100 everyday, high humidity, and not even a breeze. Its like some physical version of hell. I just keep thinking of snow, and cooler weather, its coming and I welcome it.

Heat is challenging for me, too. In my case, shutdown states mean poor awareness of things gradually physically bothering me--until they're at the crisis/urgent stage, and then... instant freak-out.

Life in the desert at summer. With monthly temps hovering close to 100 F, brush and forest fire smoke in the air. Enjoying the morning at the moment as it's crisp and cool, before the smoke and heat arrive. Before I have to turn on the air conditioning and shut everything up. With little or no humidity. But I rather like this season of all of them.

I have trouble with both extreme heat, and extreme cold. Temperature greatly affects my mood. I have bad circulation (Raynaud's disease), so when it's extremely cold out my hands and feet hurt SEVERELY, which in turn causes me to be moody and have frequent melt downs... I run out of spoons a lot faster. The heat makes me very uncomfortable and moody as well, and makes me very nauseous and light-headed.

Heat really bothers me. I start having trouble in the 80F range and have to sleep most of the time when it gets hotter. That is why I use the Okie air conditioners that I posted in my blog.

My heat problem is a contributing reason why I moved to Alaska. Cold is not much of a problem since I learned how to dress for it.

It did not occur to me that my problem with heat might have a connection to something like Aspergers. This is very interesting.

Find my physical reactions when it's hot to be distracting. Perspiration and prickly skin, sweat trickling down into my eyes. It seems to set up a trigger for discomfort, such as not sleeping well in the heat. Like a cooking time bomb ready to release energy. Not only does it take me several days to get used to a fifteen degree change in the weather, it makes me really tired as well. Forget a change of ten degrees in the same day, I have to sleep, as my body reacts badly to these sorts of weather changes.

I tend to instinctively hold in my sweat until I can rest in bed, so if I'm outside in the heat too long and I haven't sweated I get extremely nauseated and sick. Also, I tend to sweat out lots of minerals and stuff, so I have to drink Pedialyte.

I also have trouble sleeping when it's hot because the sweating, itchy skin, and discomfort keeps me awake, plus if I do fall asleep I always have nightmares when it's hot.

Find my physical reactions when it's hot to be distracting. Perspiration and prickly skin, sweat trickling down into my eyes. It seems to set up a trigger for discomfort, such as not sleeping well in the heat. Like a cooking time bomb ready to release energy. Not only does it take me several days to get used to a fifteen degree change in the weather, it makes me really tired as well. Forget a change of ten degrees in the same day, I have to sleep, as my body reacts badly to these sorts of weather changes.
Maybe that's why I've been sleeping so much. And I'm laboring in a high end retail room full of beautiful cars and beautiful people and I'm dressed, and streaming sweat and smiling. Tell me I'm not presenting as weird. I keep my head down but people insist on talking to the plant lady even when she's obviously quite busy. The job is such that I have to keep moving, I can't stop to talk, but if I do I struggle to shift gears. And appear confused, also weird. Struggling on. 104 today.

Interesting, wonder if Aspies have difficulty in controlling body temperature? Live in the northern part of Canada, where it's cold most of the year. At the moment in July (our hottest month of the year) it's not topped 70F except for once in May. When it's hotter than that, I find it difficult to do much of anything and become testy and sometimes bad tempered in hot weather. And I have more meltdowns, than I do any other time of the year. Wonder if meltdowns are seasonal?
Interesting. I wonder also if the eclipse coming right over my roof is a problem.

New Threads

Top Bottom