• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

HEALTH, FITNESS AND DIET

Grumpy Cat

I wanted to start a thread that would provide helpful and interesting info on any health tips, special exercises or diet programs and any healthy food ideas or special recipes.
If you have a health or fitness question, post that too! And maybe an answer can be found for you!

I'm kinda excited! I just decided to try P90x3. I've done p90x which targeted certain muscle groups and was "ok". I say just "ok" because I believe that program to be geared more towards men (too much weight lifting and not enough cardio). Another downfall was each workout was an hour. I never felt in better shape than when I did that workout though. I don't have an hour to workout anymore since school will be starting. With P90x3 each workout is 30 min and there is a lot more cardio. You also don't need much equipment.
It's a 90 day program. Can't wait to get started. It comes with a diet, but I'll follow my usual low fat diet.
Beachbody has a "recovery formula" drink and also "shakology" and I was wondering if anyone has tried those or something similar and if there are any benefits?
They say the best recovery drink is chocolate milk.

I started Body building/ Weight lifting about 10 weeks ago. I used to body build when I was in my 20's. I am shocked with how quick my muscles have responded. I have put 4" on my chest and 3/4" on my arms in that period! I have also lost quite a bit of latent body fat, yet gained nearly a stone in weight!
It is also helping me to stabilise my moods, something that only exercise seems to really do.

That's what I don't like (as a woman) that whenever I do a program that has weights (most good programs recommend a couple days a week of weight lifting) I end up gaining weight. I lose inches, but everyone keeps asking me how much weight have I lost -- NONE. It's very depressing. So now I really don't go by weight - just how my clothes fit.

I find exercising also helps my moods (especially anxiety.)

I put stinging nettles in fruit smoothies together with ginger, apples and oranges also drink nettle tea with lemon in it, it has amazing health benefits and full of nutrients

Unknown.jpeg

What are the benefits?

Well I have to admit it isn't pleasant to drink on its own so i flavor it with lemon, I don't drink it everyday but maybe 2 or 3 days a week, I have noticed my asthma, allergys have almost dissapeared, also i suffered from a skin rash and dry scalp and this cleared up, it was on my scalp and cheeks. Also I just feel more clear thinking. I keep some dried too for winter time.

Here is an article on it.

Stinging nettle health benefits for home remedies that treat just about everything - NaturalNews.com

Woo hoo!!!!!!! My P90X3 just arrived!!!!!! Yippee!!!
Now I gotta see what's in store for me. I'm starting tomorrow! I just finished a 60 min workout of Turbo Fire so that should get me ready for anything Tony's gonna dish up. I'm excited! I'm glad to be doing Tony again! (figuratively speaking, of course.) :rolleyes:

Here's a new protein drink that I'm trying by Ensure. We give the "milk" Ensure to patients who aren't getting enough nutrition. This drink isn't exactly the same - it's clear and more of a protein drink with some vitamins to help supplement your diet. It comes in several fruit favors. I'm using it as an "extra" right now since I'm still not able to eat normally.
image.jpg image.jpg

I have a stationary bike and free weights that I use daily. My legs are so messed up that I can't run like I did when I was younger, so the bike works my legs and provides me with a cardio workout without causing me problems. I have two muscles and a tendon missing from my right leg in addition to some nerve damage. My left leg has parts of a highway still embedded in my knee. The routine I do is simple and works a few muscle groups in order to keep me toned and lose some weight.
That's great! Anything that will get a person up and moving and something they'll stick with I'm all for! My friend Mary uses what I call "the dreadmill" which I know I wouldn't keep up with. I need a varied workout routine to keep me interested.
How come they couldn't get the hwy out of your knee? And how did the hwy get into your knee?

I looked over the P90x3 workout. I decided to go with the "lean" routine - there's 4 routines - Classic, Lean, Muscular, and Doubles. They said to make sure you complete the workout once before doing Doubles, so that was out. Muscular is for guys who want a lot more muscles and classic had a workout called "core synergistics" that had a lot of pull ups which I'm not a big fan of. The Lean has more cardio so I went with that. My first workout is called "accelerate" which sounds a bit intimidating, however, I have done Insanity and T25 so how hard can it be? I watched it and one move I'm wondering about is being in a push-up position and running around in a circle then reversing and running the other way. I don't think I have enough room for that one, but I'll give it a shot.

I checked the diet over and in a word it "sucks". I'm going to starve to death mainly from trying to figure out what I get to eat. You get so many proteins, carbs and fats per meal and you have to measure everything while keeping track of the calories. Tony thinks I'm going to make my own salad dressings too. Um, no. There's a reason that I wanted 30 min workouts - to give me time to do other things - the "other things" aren't trying to figure out what I'm going to eat and making my own salad dressing. And I didn't see my can of ravioli that I take to work on the diet menu either or my two glasses of wine I have before bed (because its good for the heart, of course). I'll have to rethink about the diet thing.

So that's it in a nutshell. Oh, I did have to get a jumping mat and if you really wanted to get into the pull-ups then you'd need a pull-up bar. Other than that, you just need a set of hand weights or bands. I use push-up bars too because I have weak wrists. I'll see how tomorrows workout goes. :)

I did it! My first workout with Tony! (It did take me 40 min to do a 30 min workout, but that's ok!) I was able to do all the exercises except one - the pushup mule kick (I do have my limits!). :rolleyes: Tomorrow - "The Warrior" workout.
I can't wait. (sarcasm)

Ok. I did the Warrior workout. It took me 40 min for a 30 min workout again, several stops to catch my breath. Only used push-up bars. Several jumps, burpees, and push-ups. Workout says to exercise 6 days a week, but I'm only going to do 5 days and off Sat and Sun when I work. I'm just too tired and weak right now with this new workout that I'm afraid I'd have a problem working my job. So next workout day is Mon with Yoga. Yea.

I bounced 143 feet in my last bad motorcycle crash. They scrubbed as best as they could, but they couldn't get all the asphalt out, so I have some interesting purple scars on both knees. To this day, every so often a little piece will work its way through the skin.
And still enthusiastic about two wheels. Admirable, imo. :blush:

Tonight I did Yoga X. I was dreading this workout because I remember the first P90x had a yoga routine that was 1.5 hrs in length. This one was 30 min and I must say I THOROUGHLY ENJOYED IT! Yes, you heard me. Actually, I might do this workout every Monday. The stretches were difficult - I used my push-up bars, yoga block and mat - but my back feels great! Usually every Monday my back hurts from working the weekend and this workout really helped with that. I had left out the yoga routine in the first P90x, but I will definitely keep this yoga routine going. Right now I'm too relaxed to see what workout is up for tomorrow. Until zen......... :)

Tonight I did Yoga X. I was dreading this workout because I remember the first P90x had a yoga routine that was 1.5 hrs in length. This one was 30 min and I must say I THOROUGHLY ENJOYED IT! Yes, you heard me. Actually, I might do this workout every Monday. The stretches were difficult - I used my push-up bars, yoga block and mat - but my back feels great! Usually every Monday my back hurts from working the weekend and this workout really helped with that. I had left out the yoga routine in the first P90x, but I will definitely keep this yoga routine going. Right now I'm too relaxed to see what workout is up for tomorrow. Until zen......... :)
Yay!

Tonight I did a routine called "CVX" which also took me about 40 min for a 30 min workout - I'm hoping to be able to keep going without breaks soon. This workout was good in that it worked weights in with cardio (I started with a 10 lb wt, but had to take a few weights out until it was about an 8 lb wt. I am so worn out, but this was another excellent workout. So far I haven't had a bad exercise routine in the P90x3 series. I'm very happy with the variance. It also has Pilates as a workout which is new for Tony so that should be interesting too. Tomorrow - Isometrix.

One other thing - my salad I had for dinner almost came up (that's how I know I'm getting a great workout!).
Woo hoo! :confused:

Tonight I did "Isometrics" which is similar to Yoga with some Yoga moves like Warrior 3 and Tree and then some moves with Downward Dog like Bound Dog and Side Arm Balance but you stay in the pose for 45 seconds! Let's say I had to come out if it several times. I used a Yoga strap to help with my moves and balance. Not as fun as the Yoga workout because of the 45 secs.
No matter what I do, I hate Downward Dog and Upward Dog. What I'd like to do is eat a hot dog (fat free, of course.)
:rolleyes:

Ok. I cannot tell a lie.......I chopped down the cherry tree. Wait, that's not what I wanted to say.
I cannot tell a lie........I didn't exercise last night like I should have. I have to stop that. Tonight with the P90x3 workout I did "Agility X". This is also a very different workout. I used my jumping mat and pushup bars and tape. The workout has you doing moves according to where the tape is put. Exercises include lunges, squats, jumps, quick foot moves, moving push ups - all as quick as you can to work on agility. I didn't need very many breaks with this workout, but I was totally in a flop sweat and exhausted by the end. Another great workout! Tony sure does know how to do those plyo pushups. He's gotta be in his late 50's. Very impressive!

Ok, so it looks like I've completed the first 6 workouts and I'm to repeat them for another 2 weeks. Then the workouts change on week 4.

New Threads

Top Bottom