• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hallucinations?

Hey! I'm pretty new here, just got diagnosed with PDDNOS last week. I was wondering if anyone have problems with hallucinations due to PDD-NOS? It's really scary and I could use some advice on it!

-olivia xx

Are you taking any medication at the moment? I've heard people who had similar issues while on meds. And while PDD-NOS isn't something they will medicate for, comorbid issues might be. And considering PDD-NOS already states "not otherwise specified", I wouldn't be surprised if therapists will try medication as treatment.

Did they just diagnose you with PDD-NOS? Or anything else as well? Perhaps it's worth looking into further diagnosis.

Are you taking any medication at the moment? I've heard people who had similar issues while on meds. And while PDD-NOS isn't something they will medicate for, comorbid issues might be. And considering PDD-NOS already states "not otherwise specified", I wouldn't be surprised if therapists will try medication as treatment.

Did they just diagnose you with PDD-NOS? Or anything else as well? Perhaps it's worth looking into further diagnosis.

I also have ADD, a emotional and behavioural disorder, accentuated personality traits, highly sensitive personality, anorexia and a family history of attention disorders and personality disorders. I was on methylphenidate but they took me of if to see if it was that, that caused me to hallucinate.

I don't know if it counts as hallucination but sometimes I'm more concerned about whether I should give a damn of this life cause it could not be real and I could be wasting my time or otherwise it is real and it sucks. But seriously, I can't tell if it's more real what I think in my head where I make up stories I'm happy with and the 'real' life.

Not precisely... Sometimes I smell things that aren't there, but it's kind of a memory thing more than a phantom/hallucination thing.
I did once, when caught between the waking and dream world, witness an Alp but thank goodness the little bugger scampered off fast and didn't sit on my chest like the little irritants are known to do. I could have done without him sniffing my ear though. It was spooky, I turned the lights on quickly. My brave defense, heh.

Is it possible you have a touch of schizophrenia?

Last edited:
I know that meds can do pretty freaky stuff for certain people. If it's NOT the meds that are causing the hallucinations, then obviously you'll need a med that can control them. As far as I know, hallucinations have nothing to do with PDD-NOS (correct me if I'm wrong!). I've suffered "major depression with psychotic features," which is not the same as what you describe, but I have to take an antipsychotic along with a mood stabilizer to control it.

Please let us know how this turns out.

wyv

I know that meds can do pretty freaky stuff for certain people. If it's NOT the meds that are causing the hallucinations, then obviously you'll need a med that can control them. As far as I know, hallucinations have nothing to do with PDD-NOS (correct me if I'm wrong!). I've suffered "major depression with psychotic features," which is not the same as what you describe, but I have to take an antipsychotic along with a mood stabilizer to control it.

Please let us know how this turns out.

wyv

The Danish diagnose is a little different I think, and hallucinations can be a part of it. But I'm supposed to start taking antipsychotics next week, if this is still going on..

Perhaps it's of note to rule out any hypnopompic or hypnogogic hallucinations. They're reasonably common, occurring when you are coming out of a deep sleep or going into one. A state of semi-consciousness where it's easy to confuse a dream with the reality of the moment. It's happened to me once or twice.

Of course if you've experienced something fully conscious, then you have other considerations to make.

When you say hallucinations, what do you mean by that. Could you give an example? (Something you have actually experienced)

I'm a aspie officially diagnosed and i don't have schizophrenia but since kid i always hallucinations (like seeing things, hear thing and sometimes feel physical), it's really scary like if live in a horror movie. I take medicines for that and so i don't many hallucinations. My doctors didn't tell me much about it but they say it's an aspie related thing.

Perhaps it's of note to rule out any hypnopompic or hypnogogic hallucinations. They're reasonably common, occurring when you are coming out of a deep sleep or going into one. A state of semi-consciousness where it's easy to confuse a dream with the reality of the moment. It's happened to me once or twice.

Well I've learned something new:

What Are Hypnopompic Hallucinations?

That's fascinating. I have these all the time--figured they were about as common as being able to remember dreams (which many people can do, but not everyone). Guess not...

Well I've learned something new:

What Are Hypnopompic Hallucinations?

That's fascinating. I have these all the time--figured they were about as common as being able to remember dreams (which many people can do, but not everyone). Guess not...
I guess I could say I had those but after many hours of certain types of meditation and exercise. When I was younger and considered myself Christian... sort of (I was in high school) I didnt meditate but I prayed almost every night. During that time I saw an angel in a grey robe on my balcony, as if he was trying to communicate but I couldn't really understand :) after meditations I had or a giant golden egg hanging next to my bed or some sort of dark shadows, which was pretty terrifying. I personally prefer to believe that those experiences are of paranormal nature, it's more interesting :) but I'm fully aware that my brain might just be playing tricks on me :)

That's why I love tv show Perception, even though I don't have schizophrenia, I can totally relate to what the main character is going through.

Hey! I'm pretty new here, just got diagnosed with PDDNOS last week. I was wondering if anyone have problems with hallucinations due to PDD-NOS? It's really scary and I could use some advice on it!

-olivia xx
I read the side effects of medications can lead to hallucinations! Yikes! (read the warnings please)

also, SIMPLY not sleeping well AND anorexia- lack of nourishment to brain, can cause hallucinations!

Anorexia is misunderstood sometimes. It can be control issue, not just what media. self esteem issues. OCD...... I understand this stuff well experienced it. aw....... please win the fight, or you may end up hypothyroid like me? actually ,I am not a Doctor or scientist..... it might be genetic, I don't know why or how I hve this but it is 0.8 Last year on a scale of 0.5 to 5.5. I was too patient gentle (scared to say angry words) too kind, to ask what the number of my thyroid is this year, when the Doctor happily declares "congratulations, you do not need medication." thyroid does all kinds of things to nerves, heart, brain, they don't even fully understand it all. They would have to tinker all kinds of medications, if they touch my thyroid, I guess. there is some delicate balance....... whew........

I sleep odd hours, I read something incorrectly. Yikes, It's quite like hallucinating. I have to read it again. I was diagnosed many things, Aspies is one of the "nicer" labels they try to attach to me......

Last edited:
I personally prefer to believe that those experiences are of paranormal nature, it's more interesting :) but I'm fully aware that my brain might just be playing tricks on me :)

Yes- the possibility of both. To me, the most critical aspect of such experiences is whether or not it involved sleep or relaxation. Which tend to be the most obvious catalysts to promote hypnopompic or hypnogogic hallucinations.

However I've had a few life-altering experiences in which I was completely conscious, alert and sober. And not relaxing, let alone in bed. And having had a subsequent medical examination to rule out the likelihood of any physical, neurological hallucination.

The only hallucination I have had was that little
purple man with the big ears that I saw when I
was 10 years old and had strep throat.

He was walking around on top of the television,
in front of and behind the clock.

I didn't tell my mother.
I wasn't anxious about him.
He was rather entertaining.

It wasn't very entertaining being sick.

New Threads

Top Bottom