• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Halloween

Catlover614

Love Conquers
As one of my most dreaded "holidays" approaches, my nerves are getting closer to their breaking point. I won't ever understand why Halloween is a holiday since it not celebrated in its original way, remembering the dead who we loved. It's become a day of evil. I have experienced plenty of horror to last an entire lifetime. I understand kids liking to dress up and play make belief and bopping for apples or whatever it is they're doing these days. I understand enjoying a little candy....don't we all? But I just don't understand why it has to be about haunted houses and scaring people. IMO, being scared is not fun! I don't like it and never will. And the trick or treating, nowadays, you better know who's door your knocking on.
What do you guys do on Halloween? I have a solid black cat who is NEVER allowed outside that day and I won't even go outside after 7pm!

For quite a while I couldn't appreciate horror, particular in film and games, I still don't like zombie themes - not to mention it's done to death (no pun intended). But as I've got older I've learnt to explore new grounds and getting creeped out is something I can bare every now and then. I can completely appreciate how some people can't do horror but it's something you need to attune yourself with over time, I think. Besides Hallowe'en isn't really all that scary, it's maining dressing up and indulging in treats, it's only scary if you seek that stuff out.

For quite a while I couldn't appreciate horror, particular in film and games, I still don't like zombie themes - not to mention it's done to death (no pun intended). But as I've got older I've learnt to explore new grounds and getting creeped out is something I can bare every now and then. I can completely appreciate how some people can't do horror but it's something you need to attune yourself with over time, I think. Besides Hallowe'en isn't really all that scary, it's maining dressing up and indulging in treats, it's only scary if you seek that stuff out.
Trust me, I didn't have to seek horror. I lived in it with a psychotic man who had me tied up and threw knives at the wall behind my head. Many people in the USA use Halloween for pranks which don't always end in laughter.

Trust me, I didn't have to seek horror. I lived in it with a psychotic man who had me tied up and threw knives at the wall behind my head. Many people in the USA use Halloween for pranks which don't always end in laughter.

I know what it is the be psychotic, can't say I've ever thrown knives at people though. Sounds like those circus acts.

1473282733332.jpg

I ignor it mostly. Kids don't come to where we live now. But when we did get them, we gave out candy and then turned off the lights and didn't answer the door past 9pm.

I love Halloween! Candy, costumes, spooky decorations, all in fun! Harvest themed stuff is interwoven into all this too, so pumpkins, scarecrows, and hay stacks become featured, also. Plus, I live where the autumns are a dazzling polychrome picture postcard with bright foliage. Halloween signifies merriment, fun, laughter, candy, and being so grateful for the harvest. The first year after my late hubby died, I was actually distressed by the skeletons and grave displays in peoples' front yards. I soon relaxed about that though, because the intent was more about fun and happy times.

Catlover, if this is a challenging holiday for you, then I hope that it passes swiftly for you, and you are soon feeling much better.

Halloween is my favorite holiday where you can do and be anything that you want.To me,it is a fun time of the year. I have spent a lot of time and money on what many consider the perfect costumes. One of my favorites was a Josephine/Joseph that was inspired from watching the movie "Freaks". We split a set of men and women's formal clothing down the center and shaved half of my face. I did a comb over of my long hair and wore a huge whore hoop earring on the girly side. The girls did my makeup on one side and made me a fake boobie to round out my costume :p

This is an image of me wearing my antique long tail tuxedo at a birthday party last year. It was originally bought so I could attend a halloween party dressed up as a maitre d carrying half a brain on a platter.That was the first party I had attended after I crushed my skull at the last place I was before my injury. I didn't have to fake any of my own injuries and we baked a cake that was dyed gray for the rest of the prop.

https://www.aspiescentral.com/media/the-mayor-of-aspieville.5161/
https://www.aspiescentral.com/media/political-ties.5162/

To each their own. Live and let live is my motto and so I choose not to participate in Halloween. It reminds me of horrific events in my life. I was traumatized by a haunted house when my mom took me and laughed at me and made fun of me. Plus the outlandish, bloody gore of it all makes me have unnecessary nightmares.

To each their own. Live and let live is my motto and so I choose not to participate in Halloween. It reminds me of horrific events in my life. I was traumatized by a haunted house when my mom took me and laughed at me and made fun of me. Plus the outlandish, bloody gore of it all makes me have unnecessary nightmares.

I can respect that. For me, ironically Christmas is always the most stressful of holidays. Both of my parents who died only 12 days prior to Christmas on the same day of the week, yet some 28 years apart. For me it's just a day to get through and little else.

Triggers are triggers....whatever they may entail.

I always und up having to work on Halloween. I know my little goblins would love it if I was able to take them out, but people might be scared of the 'Mad Aspie' :eek: who will be with them!

I never even liked Halloween as a kid. The concept of dressing in a ridiculous outfit and being dragged around on a cold damp night to go door to door asking for treats made no sense to me. If I wanted candy, I would get it from the candy dish on the table or from the little market up the street; remember real penny candy?

I usually keep all the outside lights turned off on Halloween. In Florida I used to turn on the sprinkler so my front door was unapproachable. Yeah, I'm a bit of a curmudgeon.

curmudgeon_logo.jpg
I second that Sportster

I can respect that. For me, ironically Christmas is always the most stressful of holidays. Both of my parents who died only 12 days prior to Christmas on the same day of the week, yet some 28 years apart. For me it's just a day to get through and little else.

Triggers are triggers....whatever they may entail.
I'm sorry for your loss and pain at Christmastime. Oct. 31 thru Jan. 2 is a heavy load for me as I don't have parents either nor friends. I have my boyfriend, but he's an extrovert & I'm an introvert and while he goes off with his family during the holidays, I'm at home coping.

And another thing, adults in costume make me extremely nervous. I don't like disguises even for only 1 night and costume parties is a BIG no for this introverted aspie girl. I admit I'm a Halloween Grinch. Candy can be consumed any day, don't need to knock on strangers' doors.

Don't feel the way you do Catlover about Halloween. In my little hometown we all went door-to-door in our neighborhood and often got homemade caramel apples, popcorn balls, homemade fudge and toffee and jelly candy. We would run through the neighborhood to get to the homes where they made and gave our the best candy before they ran out. It was amazing, that candy. I'll never forget how good it was.

Usually in my childhood, it snowed on Halloween, so there we were in our costumes freezing and cold, another reason why we ran. We had our pillowcases half filled by eight or so at night. People placed jack-o-lanterns outside of the homes that gave out candy, so we knew which houses to go to.

Last edited:
I quite like Halloween actually.

Last year I went to a Charity Fancy dress do dressed as a Vampire, they might do the same thing this year again hopefully, but obviously because this year Halloween itself falls on a Monday, there'll not be as much happening.

Don't feel the way you do Catlover about Halloween. In my little hometown we all went door-to-door in our neighborhood and often got homemade caramel apples, popcorn balls, homemade fudge and toffee and jelly candy. We would run through the neighborhood to get to the homes where they made and gave our the best candy before they ran out. It was amazing, that candy. I'll never forget how good it was.

Usually in my childhood, it snowed on Halloween, so there we were in our costumes freezing and cold, that's why we ran. We had our pillowcases half filled by eight or so at night. People placed jack-o-lanterns outside of the homes that gave out candy, so we knew which houses to go to.
My area now hold what they call Trunk or Treat that is held on school grounds with massive supervision. One must have a child enrolled in the school district in order to be a part of it.
All the treats are placed in the trunks or cargo areas of the vehicles and it is held during daylight hours. They have basically outlawed the oldschool trick or treating in my area.

The sixties and early seventies were not as harsh a time as they are now when I was one to wander the neighborhood in search of a pillowcase full of goodies. The haunted houses are just plain silly to me now as an adult,but I do feel for the OP on her bad experiences as a child.

I'm certain some of our friends from the UK can correct me, but I think costume parties are a regular thing there. I believe they call them "fancy dress." Here in the States you don't hear of adults dressing up as much; and nowadays, it's almost looked upon as a little creepy.
Here in the eastern part of the USA,Halloween dressup parties are an adult rage

New Threads

Top Bottom