• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Haiku page

The day is over
My love has faded away
Life has no meaning

------

Ice cream is cooling
Ice poles can be slippery
Ice cubes are crunchy

-----

She said she'd never
But her words were laced with lies
I want to go back

-----

External silence
Overload paralyzes
Internal screaming

-----

Reaching and stroking
Gushing, swelling and flooding
The sea meets the shore.

The day is over
My love has faded away
Life has no meaning

------

Ice cream is cooling
Ice poles can be slippery
Ice cubes are crunchy

-----

She said she'd never
But her words were laced with lies
I want to go back

-----

External silence
Overload paralyzes
Internal screaming

-----

Reaching and stroking
Gushing, swelling and flooding
The sea meets the shore.

Vinca, very well done, I think.
Most were a little bit sad, but sadness has an important role to play in stimulating the desire to search for and embrace joy. I hope you submit more posts here.

Vinca, very well done, I think.
Most were a little bit sad, but sadness has an important role to play in stimulating the desire to search for and embrace joy. I hope you submit more posts here.

Thank you :) I feel sad that Haxan is sad and I connect with feelings of saddness easily. I think that is where the sadness is coming from.

It's a fun thread and there is lots of creativity to enjoy here :)

Thank you :) I feel sad that Haxan is sad and I connect with feelings of saddness easily. I think that is where the sadness is coming from.

It's a fun thread and there is lots of creativity to enjoy here :)

Vinca, the thing that I continue to find interesting and annoying is, that those that try and cannot fit in with the mundane spectrum are in so much pain. It's like the NT are uncaring of the misery that they cause by their aspersions or by the enabling of those that insult or abuse us.
This, if it is a valid perception, is why some here are determined to give encouragement to those of us that have a still, quiet voice.
We are decent human beings that are cast aside, too often underemployed and socially ostracized for being what, bright, focused, honest and creative. What are the values of our detractors; dim, weaseling, equivocating and bored, and full of anger and violence.
I just do not get it.

Edit. I apologize for this rant on this thread, please forgive me. Let's write haiku.

Last edited:
Not the syllables
Only, but also the meaning;
else it's art's winter.

Japanese rhythm:
a poor match for iambic
pentametricals.
Not the syllables
Only, but also the meaning;
else it's art's winter.

Japanese rhythm:
a poor match for iambic
pentametricals.
Aspergirl4hire
Please clarify. I get the two haikus but is there a thought there how we all can approach the ideal better. What do you suggest? I think you are very clever, I also would like to get into the Zen of this exercise.

Last edited:
EP, I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to haiku, don't care if english syllables and japanese mora don't quite dovetail one another. People can write free form haiku, but I like the 5-7-5 form.

Forms in english haiku
Japanese haiku have been traditionally composed in 5-7-5 syllables. When poets started writing English haiku in the 1950's, they adopted this 5-7-5 form, thinking it created a similar condition for English-language haiku. This style is what is generally considered "traditional" English haiku.

Over the years, however, most haiku poets in North America have become aware that 17 English syllables convey a great deal more information than 17 Japanese syllables, and have come to write haiku in fewer syllables, most often in three segments that follow a short-long-short pattern without a rigid structure. This style is called by some "free-form" haiku.
http://www.ahapoetry.com/keirule.htm

Only doctor I could get an appointment with this week was a chiropractor, he prescribed Tramadol and tetracycline to hold me over until I can see my dentist next week. I imagine my dentist will give me Z-Max, he did last time this happened.

Reading and writing
Letters numbers dots dashes
Chalk on the blackboard

(because I am thinking of the recent thread about teachers.)

EP, I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to haiku, don't care if english syllables and japanese mora don't quite dovetail one another. People can write free form haiku, but I like the 5-7-5 form.

Forms in english haiku
Japanese haiku have been traditionally composed in 5-7-5 syllables. When poets started writing English haiku in the 1950's, they adopted this 5-7-5 form, thinking it created a similar condition for English-language haiku. This style is what is generally considered "traditional" English haiku.

Over the years, however, most haiku poets in North America have become aware that 17 English syllables convey a great deal more information than 17 Japanese syllables, and have come to write haiku in fewer syllables, most often in three segments that follow a short-long-short pattern without a rigid structure. This style is called by some "free-form" haiku.
http://www.ahapoetry.com/keirule.htm
I have heard of this. Apparently, Japanese has a much higher proportion of very long words than English does. Of course, the few Japanese words that I know aren't that long at all. (I know "desu" "kawaii" and "sen-pai," but that's because I meet a lot of anime nerds in my corner of the internet). My Chinese vocabulary is much larger--though not by enough to count. I never went past introductory level. Syllable-count per word is much more comparable to English. Unfortunately I am actually ignorant of any of its metrical forms. But perhaps those would adapt more easily to English's native disyllabic rhythms.

hototogisu
feathering summer's verses
laying mismatched eggs

this too-English verse
behavioral reporting
a stain in springtime

Basho:
the cuckoo--
born, I suppose,
in the crotch of a tree.

New Threads

Top Bottom