• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

justin_havu

I'm normally fine with going to the gym--as long as NO ONE is right next to me, even better if they are on the other side of the room! Otherwise, I wind up leaving about the time someone hops on a machine right next to me.

I currently have a six month membership to Dover (NH) Rec Center. Their fitness center is divided up into smaller areas (Treadmills in one alcove, cardio in another. Free weights have their own room, as do the strength training machines.) This has an advantage and a disadvantage. I'd say the advantage is it's not a wide open space, but the disadvantage is the spaces are small, and prone to crowding. The cardio machines are too close together and there are too few of them for people to spread out more.

My routine is at least 20 minutes on an eliptical/climber, then core exercises (Hyper extensions, vertical knee raises, declined crunches/sit ups) then upper body with free weights. The whole thing usually takes 45 minutes to an hour, but my routine could be cut short if anyone gets just a bit too close to me. When that happens, I usually give up and leave, because I feel if I stay in that situation for too long, my head will explode. It's happened to me almost half the time I've been a member (since the beginning of October) and numerous times while I was a member of Planet Fitness (NOT a place for agoraphobic people.)

I am a member of planet fitness. Yes I do not like it when someone gets right on the machine next to me. It seems like there's so much room in there especially at the time of day that I go that I don't want anyone or even remotely close to me while I'm trying to work out.

There also certainI machines that I like to use because of where they are. Usually they are under giant fans and line up with the TV with my favorite channel.

That's one of the reasons I left PF when I did. I feel like I'm expected to be social in an environment like that, but that would make me really uncomfortable. That, and I was always waiting for machines to become available which messes up my routine, and that's a big no-no!

Going again later this morning. Hopefully I don't have to deal with anyone using anything right next to me. If it happens again, I'm doubtful that I'll continue going to the gym. I've already stopped shopping at two or three different grocery stores because of too many people, it'd be nice for something to work out in my favor.

Bleh. Cardio session was good--no people. Didn't get to the weight room, because there were two or three others in there, and one of them was on the very bench (Abdominal bench) I was headed to. If it's not the amount of people, it's having to wait around for something to become available. Rule #1, don't mess with my routine! Rule #2, refer back to Rule #1!

Today was my very last visit to this gym. I got crowded by one other person one time too many, and it's been going on for at least a couple months. I simply can't have anyone on the machine right next to me. Also, it's kinda sad that they only have two ellipticals in the whole facility. Left them a 1-star review, like they're ever going to respond to that. But rest assured, I won't be returning.

I may have narrowed my phobia down to two possibilities, agoraphobia and anthropophobia (fear of people/crowds.) I'll definitely be talking to my counselor today about this and see what he thinks.

You sound like me. In a nutshell and, to quote a friend who is also an entertainer - "People are f******* scary."

I don't like people getting to close to me, I don't trust them and, when one I don't know gets on a gym machine next to me, my mind can't help but think of all of the horrible things they might do. That means I've got to be prepared for any of them. they might as me to autograph a sweaty sock (it has happened) might want to take my picture, might try to steal my sweat towel or water bottle, might try to hug me, sing my songs horribly off key and expect me to like it, might try to rape me or kidnap me, might stab or cut me, might try to kiss me, ask me on a date, propose marriage or, they might ignore me entirely.

Needless to say, that means I either leave or, I tell my body guard to move them to another machine. Usually the latter because I'm not ruining my routing for some grungy slouch that thinks two reps on every machine in a gym is going to help them. (and that's always the sort that seem to land next to me.) I work hard every day, exercise, watch my diet, get regular blood tests to see that I'm maintaining proper nutrition, have my BMI done yearly to be sure I'm not loosing muscle and I won't let some half hearted "it's cool to be a gym rat" sort ruin my routine. I paid my trainer too much to build that routine to waste a minute of it.

I'd definitely get a trainer or a security guard if I could afford one, but alas, my gym doesn't offer personal training, and due to my very limited income, I'm kinda stuck going to the same gym. Part of me wants to give it one last try, a VERY small part of me.

Going to the Gym is a 90s psychedelic warped human faces music video type of experience. Machines for cardio are alright, I tried a couple of "classes" and left them feeling very confused and shutdown-ish, wondering why people like them and actually even feel motivated when someone screams at them and blasts really bad mixes in really bad speakers.

Overall, I'd suggest you save your money and buy a cardio machine for yourself and some weights or whatever.

The reason I wanted to go to this particular gym is it's located in the same building where I teach a small music class, so it's more for the convenience. Plus, they have some things there that I can't do at home, mostly core work like hyperextensions, vertical leg raises, and various other things. It would really work out well for me if only there weren't so many people that go to the same gym!

Plus, they have three different tiers: 3-month, 6-month, and 1 year, and you only pay for that once, and again if you decide to renew, sort of like Planet Fitness's $99/year membership, except I HATE Planet Fitness. I wound up getting the 6-month to try it out, figured that would give me enough time to say yea or nay to it, but I'm leaning towards nay as long as people keep getting too close to me and have to use the very machine next to me all the time!

I usually go to gym between 11am to 2:30pm nobody's rarely there but I live in a small town too

Update: Today was my very last visit to this gym. 7AM and there were way more people than usual. I'd rather just workout at home, as long as I'm not too depressed to do so.

Update: Today was my very last visit to this gym. 7AM and there were way more people than usual. I'd rather just workout at home, as long as I'm not too depressed to do so.

Just remember that working out is like performing music, doing it helps break depression. maybe that will keep you motivated on the days you don't really feel up to working out but, know you should.

I have a membership at the YMCA and attend frequently. When I work out, either on the elliptical or with my routine of free weights and machines, I maintain tunnel vision. I do not see the other people or pay any attention to them unless I happen to run into a friend. If someone talks to me I mostly respond with a courteous but short response. It works pretty well.

I think the only thing that might keep that from working for me is I have this kind of "sixth sense" where I can sense someone else' presence, when they get just a tad too close to me, invading my figurative bubble, and I get a bit panicky.

I'm fine with going to the gym. I do my own workouts, but I'd like to eventually connect with a personal trainer.

My solution was to get some 4X4s and build my own power rack in my basement. I have an olympic weight set and some homemade equipment. For cardio I would rather be outside on my bicycle or inline skates. There's a nice 14 mile long bike path near me that runs along the water. The only social interaction I have is a quick "good morning" or head nod as I pass people going the opposite direction. Although, there was that one guy who said, "It's a beautiful winter morning to go for a bike ride at sunrise" which is a really long sentence to get out in that small audible window of people passing on bikes. He was out of breath from just climbing a hill and said it really fast. He made me smile because he seemed extremely happy and reminded me of ridiculously photogenic guy.

I don't know if it's much anxiety or anything going on with me, but I will say that I try to only attend the gym when I'm sure it's not crowded. But that goes for most places I go to anyway. I just don't want to get caught up in a crowd most of the time.

Luckily there's a gym in my area (and to add, the nearest one) that's open 24 hours a day, so I can go in the evening, night or morning whenever I want.. and obviously, at night, it's quiet and I often end up being all alone there.

When I first signed up over a year ago I met up with a few trainers to talk about setting up a programme with excercises and all, but even those guys just got on my nerves. They were way too "cheerful" and had this happy go lucky attitude that makes me want to run away as fast as I can.

So even the trainers kinda make me want to go on times they're not around. I can totally understand they're around to help and maybe correct people when they have bad posture and all, but I don't particularly like interacting with them as much. Luckily I have a friend who was into bodybuilding for a while and I've worked out with him a few times and picked up a few tips here and there as well.

With Planet Fitness, you can go between 12 AM - 6 AM or so and you will be able to move to a different room for more privacy. That's a lot to adjust for, but it might be the only way to satisfy your need for space here.

Otherwise, every Gym practically gets so many people. If there's a Snap Fitness near you, that might be worth a try too, and that is 24-7 too. Otherwise you workouts are best done at home or hiking outdoors. You could try a class, but they can add up and get expensive, and many classes may have space too consolidated. Good luck!

New Threads

Top Bottom