• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Guidelines or rules for ASD group at college

nyxjord

As I've stated before, I started an ASD group for students at my college this past summer. Right now I am working on guidelines or rules for the group members to follow. I haven't been able to come up with much and am hoping to get some input for what you think would be some good guidelines for students to follow.

This is what I have so far:

1. Respect all neurodiversities that are represented- no one (either on the spectrum or off the spectrum is better than any other)

2. Respect all diagnosis statuses (whether professionally diagnosed or self-diagnosed)

3. Let one person at a time speak

4. Disagree respectfully

What else would be good to have?

Edit to add: confidentiality would also be a big deal as well and made sure the members are aware/understand what it means.

Last edited:
You might want to add a person who can "keep stack." That's a person that people can signal that they want to speak. Their name will be recorded in order of signalling, and everyone can get a chance to contribute.

Another rule we had was "step up, step back." That meant that people who usually kept quiet would be encouraged to speak their minds, while people who tended to talk a lot and dominate the conversation were encouraged to tone it down a little--not to stay silent of course, but just to give other people room to contribute. Of course, this was for political organizing meetings, so it might not be applicable here.

Last edited:
You may want to restrict the use of scents and perfumes, and ask people to be mindful of other's sensory issues.

New Threads

Top Bottom