• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Getting students to new ASD group?

nyxjord

Hi all,

Over summer vacation, myself and the counselor at my uni created an ASD group. We aren't quite sure how to get the word out about it though so I'm coming to you all for advice. If you knew there was an ASD group at your school, how would you want to find out about it? And what would make you feel comfortable enough to attend such a thing? Right now we are considering posters and I've also given the counselor permission to give out my contact information to students who are possibly interested in attending, so there's that but what else would you suggest? Any recommendations are appreciated!!!
Edited to add: I am on the spectrum and the counselor has been given permission to tell possible students this fact so they feel more comfortable coming, so they know it is not run by NT's and for parents or anything like that.

Last edited:
I was part of a local Aspie group led by a psychologist that met weekly. Since our group wasn't affiliated with a school or outside organization, I think the members pretty much found out about it through the internet (as I did). Seems like a pretty aspie-friendly medium to me!

There was an ASD group at the uni I attended last year. Information about it and contact details when handed out with the other information I received about support for 'disabled' students. This was just standard information given to everyone who was registered to receive support for a disability (dyslexia for me, I wasn't diagnosed with ASD at that time). When I received my diagnosis I was given that information again, and the mentor I was assigned took me one of the group meetings, which was nice, which relieved a lot of the 'argh meeting a group of new people' anxiety. I probably wouldn't have gone without her.

For people who weren't registered as having any sort of disability or illness requiring support, every student is given basic information of the services provided by the disability support department, including groups such as this, when they first arrive at the university, and the group was occasionally mentioned in the regular newsletter and upcoming events/activities emails that are sent to everyone.

Personally, as I said before, having my mentor go to my first meeting with me made me much more comfortable. Otherwise, having the opportunity to be in contact with another student who attends the meetings would be good, I don't think I would have the courage to contact someone 'official' about it.

Thanks for your responses, guys. They are really really helpful. For right now, it is just myself (on the spectrum), the counselor (not on it) and then one other student and I'd just like to get more students (who would benefit from being in such a group) involved in it. Do you think posters advertising what the group is, a description of the group and then a contact listing would be good?

Would it be open to all people with or without autism? Does the group have a special purpose. Some people maybe turned off by non Autistic people being part of the group due to past bullying they experienced as

Hi Rayner: it is only for people on the spectrum. We actually have screenings in place as neurotypicals are not approved to come. It is run for and by (mostly) individuals on the spectrum. The only person involved who isn't is the counselor and that's because I needed a faculty member to officially start the group with and I trusted her. Times and meeting places are kept secret until possible member is approved to come. The group is part social group and part support group- members can discuss anything and also ask for support or help. It's similar to this website, actually.

Last edited:
Thanks NothingToSeeHere -- I actually met our first member, completely by accident yesterday. It's a long story but we ended up hanging out the rest of the afternoon (which is a very rare thing for us) and really hit it off. It was such an amazing feeling to meet someone from my "home" planet. Just knowing that we had that common background made us feel so comfortable with each other and a lot of the shyness/social hesitation was gone because of that. Even if our group does not help with social things (as it is not intended as therapy or anything like that), it will still be great to meet others and have friends that are from our home planet.

If you knew there was an ASD group at your school, how would you want to find out about it?

So your at university, right? Does your school have any sort of back to school events? My old one did - there was a big event where all the school's clubs, groups, etc and local organizations came out to advertise themselves and give out ads, flyers, and freebies. There was of course free food, half the reason anyone came to such events I'm sure lol. All the back-to-school events had food so as to lure students into attending them. That's one thing you might consider - if you get enough people to sign up for the group, you might consider offering munchies. I don't think any poor college student will turn down food.

If your uni doesn't have such an event, then yes I would think put flyers all over the place - in the dorms, the dining halls, all the different academic buildings, the counselling center, tutoring center if you have one, the library, general access computer labs, anywhere you go around campus where people gather and are sure to see it - provided its a place people post general purpose flyers and ads of course. If there's a list of clubs/groups/whatever online, make sure its listed there as well.

Alright, so we worked on poster ideas yesterday. How does this sound?

Title: "X" University ASD Group
Subtitle: "A place for us, by us"
Description: "A place for students who identify or are questioning being on the Autism Spectrum coming together to share our common experience."
Faculty Member

Do you think that sounds good or would pique your interest if you read it?

Sounds good, but I think you should make it clear that you are a student with ASD yourself if you are comfortable doing so. That will reinforce the idea that the group will allow them to meet people who genuinely share their own experiences and allow them to make initial contact to someone they can relate to.

Sounds good, but I think you should make it clear that you are a student with ASD yourself if you are comfortable doing so. That will reinforce the idea that the group will allow them to meet people who genuinely share their own experiences and allow them to make initial contact to someone they can relate to.
NothingToSeeHere:

I wasn't sure how I could do that. My contact information would be the first listed at the bottom. But I was thinking the whole 'for us, by us' would help .... Also I've given permission for the faculty leader to give out my name and diagnosis to possible students interested in the group. I don't really know about the actual poster... Unless I were to put 'Student leader...'. Any other ideas?

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom