• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

General anesthesia

Jim K

Has anyone been through general anesthesia for surgery? If so describe how you felt during the experience. From an autistic point of view

Too many times to mention :p

There was never once I felt bad about it.

The usual anxiety with all the impersonal and robotic transitioning. Had a panic attack actually so they put me through first. (set off by TVs on the wall) No point of view during the anesthetic effect. Coming out of it no problems - just felt the usual need to get out of the hospital asap although less intense due to anesthetic. Did not take long to completely ware off. I felt my usual self about 6 hours later back in the safety of my own home.

One persons experience will always differ from another's regardless of similar traits.

I have. I don't remember every detail, but I didn't find it at all unpleasant or distressing. What I remember is being wheeled into the operating room where the surgeon and anaesthetist were waiting. They put one of those plastic oxygen masks on my face, and the anaesthetist told me to breathe normally and count backwards from 100 as he turned on the gas. I must've liked it because I took the biggest breath I could, counted 99...98, and the next thing I know I'm waking up in the recovery room.

The relevant things we might be concerned about:

-They didn't make me wear anything uncomfortable or anything that would cause touch sensory issues, just an unobtrusive oxygen mask.

-I don't know if IV fluids were part of the process, but if they were they didn't stick me with needles while I was awake.

-My movement wasn't inhibited in any way whatsoever.

-There was what I assume to be fluorescent lights that I had to look into, that part sucked.

In general, it really wasn't a big deal. I can't imagine general anesthesia being too much different anywhere else.

Has anyone been through general anesthesia for surgery? If so describe how you felt during the experience. From an autistic point of view
I did when I had my tubal, it actually was pretty cool, I had some very vivid dreams and when they woke me afterwards I just wanted to go back to sleep so they let me crash for a bit more, not sure how long. It's certainly not scary.

I was anxious beforehand, because obviously I was having surgery. Every time I've had a general I didn't really feel anything afterwards other than tired and uncomfortable or in pain from the surgery.

I was a child and I thought it felt nasty.
Spinning around and then gone.
When I woke up I puked all the rest of the day.

The other several times it was a different anesthetic.
I didn't like that either.

I don't like to be "put to sleep."
It isn't fun.
It is yucky.

When i awoke from an anesthetic i asked the nurse if people were allowed to smoke in malaysia, the nurse laughed and said yes.. Then i told the nurse that i hope they all win the lottery then.
Very stange disorientated conversation. .!

I'm not autistic but able to describe things in a clear manner. I have only had wisdom teeth surgery. The night before it, they gave me Valium to take, because I'm really anxious about all things medical. It made me foggy and queasy but I think helped with anxiety. Had to wait a long time in the waiting room with the tvs and all. I agree with it being systematic and robotic. Overall, I had a feeling I would be alright. Trust your intuition. In the room they pit something cold on the top of my hand after I layer down. There was a small prick and I was asked to count backwards from 10. I got to 8.

Next, I found myself slamming my knees against a wall beside me in a recovery room. A few seconds of panic followed: where am I? Let me go! A lady in the hall asked if I was alright. After that, I quickly came too. The rest was just physical...like being lifted and wheeled to my parents car.

Hope that helps with the knowing the process aspect!

i have had many,many general anaesthetics,not because of surgery as such but whenever i have to have work done on my teeth i have it done under GA at the local hospital because i have severe challenging behavior and very severe sensory issues around dentistry.

the learning [intellectual] disability nurse from the hospital has visited many times to show me the equipment they use for GA,they gave me the anaesthetic mask for example but i had huge issues with the feel of that so they dont use it with me they only give me GA via a cannula in my hand or arm.
the LD nurse has also given me photos of the anaesthetists and the nurses involved while i have my work done,and photos of the private room i will stay in.

i personally have no issues with having a cannula put in my hand or arm,i dont feel pain or at the least dont comprehend it so the output is just the same-i struggle when they wiggle the needle about inside my hand/arm when they cant find a vein,the feeling is really weird and puts me in fight or flight mode and i have been known to hit out.

i am not asked to wear surgery clothing because of my sensory issues which is a good thing,they just ask that i wear a loose top,i tend to wear my basket ball jerseys.

another issue when i have GAs is my medication!
im not allowed to have it until i have had the GA which is bad in terms of my severe epilepsy,my severe challenging behavior and my extreme anxiety.
im also not allowed to drink my routine drinks as they say you can only drink water before the GA,but they wont let me have anything else which makes my anxiety shoot up and my behavior worsen.

as for the anaesthetic,well they say to start counting, which i cant do because of my total lack of short term memory,so they do it for me,and it gets to a point where my head stops focusing,i cant think but i can see,and i see them about to put a tube down my throat before i drift off and then as if by magic wake up in the recovery ward,its probably because i cant have that rubbery mask on me that i am more aware of the beginning of the anaesthetic than other people,ive never discussed it with my dentist.

dont ever worry about waking up,they need to weigh you first to make sure they use the right amount of GA for your weight thats what makes it go right.

I had general anesthesia a year ago for hernia surgery. It was no big deal at all. The nurse told me to take 3 deep breaths and by the first breath I remember seeing my eyelids snap shut then I don't remember anything. It was like a second later I was in recovery and the nurse told my to take deep breaths because my low oxygen alarm was beeping. It was really easy.

They gave me a pain pill before I left which made me sick. The only other thing was that after surgery I became sensitive to chemicals in food and MSG. MSG is an excitotoxin that does bad things to your brain and after researching on medical forums it seems there may be a connection between the two because of the way that anesthesia affects your brain receptors. I now can't eat any foods with chemicals or additives because they trigger severe anxiety and make my heart beat too hard.

I had general anesthesia a year ago for hernia surgery. It was no big deal at all. The nurse told me to take 3 deep breaths and by the first breath I remember seeing my eyelids snap shut then I don't remember anything. It was like a second later I was in recovery and the nurse told my to take deep breaths because my low oxygen alarm was beeping. It was really easy.

They gave me a pain pill before I left which made me sick. The only other thing was that after surgery I became sensitive to chemicals in food and MSG. MSG is an excitotoxin that does bad things to your brain and after researching on medical forums it seems there may be a connection between the two because of the way that anesthesia affects your brain receptors. I now can't eat any foods with chemicals or additives because they trigger severe anxiety and make my heart beat too hard.
oh wow, that's so crazy, I wonder how many people that happens too?

I've had a number of surgeries also. Each time I am in a state of panic before going under and each time was different. I think the type of anesthesia makes the difference. The "twilight" types as they are called, versed or fentnyl are awful for me. Now I tell them not to use those. They both sent me into a panic attack because the room looks like it is spinning and voices get blurred and I felt I couldn't breath before I went under.
Major surgeries like hysterectomy and liver cancer were one deep breath from the mask and no sensations. No problem waking up either.
Gallbladder was not a good experience. When I woke up I couldn't feel anything or move. I couldn't feel my breath and went into a panic attack so I was given a quick shot of Ativan. My throat was all cut up from the resperator tube. Couldn't swallow anything for two days.
So I dread anesthesia from the varied experiences. Never know how it will be.

My paediatrician always said autistic people don't copewell with anesthic so I've never had one. I'll behaving my first next week when I have my Celiac biopsy.

New Threads

Top Bottom