• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Friend difficult to deal with

I have tolorence for others though I also value how my time is spent, for myself I would rather not be around an individual who is abrasive, especially when it can be perceived as abusive.

My brother is like that and from what I heard about my grandfather so was he. I used to think my brother was just a jerk at times because he would think it was funny to outright insult you in the most abrasive way but would never accept the slightest criticism on himself. But at other times you can see he cares. He is very caring, just his way of dealing with the world and caring is different. But then I'm also the same, I've been accused of being too blunt or insulting a lot and had not intended to be or even known that I had been but not to the extent my brother is or even my grandfather. I'm just not very good at constructing things in a way that doesn't offend anyone. I think I am at the time but then people still get offended. I say it as I believe it. But to be honest I prefer people who are blunt and to the point because you know where you stand. I can't stand when people try hint at you because I never get it. I didn't even really know what Aspergers or autism was until recently. I've heard of it but since I didn't believe it affected me I took no interest in it. The more I'm learning about autism the more I'm realising that some of those abrasive behaviours are not my brother's fault. He's actually unaware and he doesn't understand what the social boundaries are. It's hard for him to see it from another person's view unless he's told. I suggest just telling him in a very specific straight forward way because if you try to hint at him he won't understand and will just keep repeating the same behaviours. He can learn it'll just take him longer

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom