• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

For Those Own A 4K TV

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
I want to know what your thoughts for those that does own a 4K TV? Are your happy you made the purchase or do you think it was to early?

I am considering this soon as well. I just had Gigabit internet installed and would love to take advantage of Netflix's 4k content.

I guess it really depends on the degree of 4K sources one is able to watch. Likely to be found offline on expensive disks. Otherwise you're just watching 1080p programming like most everyone else.

I gave it a thought briefly some time ago, and concluded it was a waste of money given a lack of 4k programming that is still years away from becoming a broadcast standard.

But then I'm still content to run DVDs upconverted to 1080p and no higher. ;)

Wait a while until 8K comes out. Or 16K. Whatever. :p

I have a 23" 4K IPS monitor, not a TV...everything is crisp and clean, high DPI and with it being a 8-bit IPS panel the color is stunning.

If I could take back that purchase I would do so though as there's a lack of 4K content at the moment. Youtube comes to mind, but what's on there right now is limited...and gaming, well, you're short on luck if you think you'll be able to play at 4K resolution without some serious hardware. 4K is still in its early phase, so until the ball starts rolling 1080p is just fine for now.

I have a 23" 4K IPS monitor, not a TV though...everything is crisp and clean, high DPI and with it being a 8-bit IPS panel the color is stunning.
Some point I would like to have a 4K monitor to be used for photo and video editing. I just find 1080P is too low of a resolution for editing these days. I'm lucky my laptop have a display port that supports 4K.

Some point I would like to have a 4K monitor to be used for photo and video editing. I just find 1080P is too low of a resolution for editing these days. I'm lucky my laptop have a display port that supports 4K.

Oh yeah, a 4K monitor pairs very well with editing of any sort! It's 4x the resolution of 1080p (3840x2160), so there's plenty of screen real estate to work with.

I still regret having bought one though since I mostly game on my PC (I'm using a monitor with 144hz/high refresh rate support), and even now 1080p is still the sweet spot for gaming with other resolutions needing more horsepower or lower graphics settings.

Last edited:
I guess it really depends on the degree of 4K sources one is able to watch. Likely to be found offline on expensive disks. Otherwise you're just watching 1080p programming like most everyone else.
Reminds me when I got 1080p TV years ago when there was not much content back then. I don't think there enough content yet for me being worth buying a 4K TV but some point soon I will get a 4K monitor to be used for photo and video editing.

Reminds me when I got 1080p TV years ago when there was not much content back then. I don't think there enough content yet for me being worth buying a 4K TV but some point soon I will get a 4K monitor to be used for photo and video editing.

It would be interesting to see any perceivable value in using that resolution in image creation and editing. Though in my own case, having the ability to blow up things 1600 times in Photoshop at 1920x1080 seems more than adequate for photo editing. But then I don't print anything beyond 8.5 x 11 inches either.

Of course I can't comment on video editing. Not something I've ever done.

It would be interesting to see any perceivable value in using that resolution in image creation and editing. Though in my own case, having the ability to blow up things 1600 times in Photoshop at 1920x1080 seems more than adequate for photo editing. But then I don't print anything beyond 8.5 x 11 inches either.
Well if you think 1080P is only 2 megapixels. Most people have a camera phone supports 8 megapixels or more. 4K can display all pixels of that 8 megapixel image.

I also like panoramic photography so the fact I can see more pixels on the screen will make it easier to work with these type of images.

Of course I can't comment on video editing. Not something I've ever done.
As for video editing, if your editing 1080P on 4K monitor, 1/4 of the screen to preview the video will be able to display all pixels of the video. The ability to show more of the timeline as will would be a huge bonus. I find displaying timeline on 1080P is very small. With 4K, I wouldn't need to zoom in and out as much.

Well if you think 1080P is only 2 megapixels. Most people have a camera phone supports 8 megapixels or more. 4K can display all pixels of that 8 megapixel image.

Even with 10 to 12 megapixel cameras I find 1080p to be just fine. But as I said, I print no larger than 8.5 x 11/14 photos in high resolution because of my printer's limitations alone. But then I also prefer to keep them no larger than that because of rationing disk space on an SSD. Though I always archive them on portable media.

Clearly it all just depends on one's image preferences. But yeah, if you're printing big or keeping enormous image files on a drive, I can see some potential advantages with going to an even higher resolution. It just wouldn't be a priority for me unless I wanted to go even larger print sizes. Though photography for me is just an amateur hobby- not a professional one. If I was a pro I'd routinely archive massive master photo files just on general principle. ;)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom