• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fidget spinner controversy

Lady Penelope

Www.livescience.com/58916-fidget-spinner-faq.html

Just read this online.
Coincidentally, just purchased one online prior to reading article.
I haven't seen them around and thought they looked cool and helpful for relieving fidgeting. I'm not in school so can't comment on their distraction quotient.
I like the part where the girl on the spectrum feels less alienated by her peers cos they all have one too. This should be encouraged not discouraged!!!
Just goes to show we all like to fidget...spectrum or no.

Claiming they encourage genius abilities by focusing attention and using that claim to discourage their use is ridiculous. Focusing your brain does assist in thought processes so it's not that crazy but those who think they will become the next Einstein or Tesla if they use it o_O... surely this is just blown out of proportion by the fear mongers?

It's interesting that they've used the word 'controversy' in the headline, yet I can see little hard evidence in the article that they're a bad thing. Yes, they're unlikely to create an immediate genius, but if they help someone stay calm I'm all for them - and the fact that other kids want them too is, as you say, a great thing as it reduces alienation. They seem a bit like the fidget cubes. I think they're all so new that there is little research either way.

The teacher frustrations are nothing new: this seems like a new "craze" similar to yo-yos in my time, those electronic pet things and snap bracelets. Kids always want to bring them into school and play with them during lesson time, and teachers always want to ban them.

I must admit, I've ordered one - but just to try out. I've tried the fidget cube and it didn't really do much for me unless I get really angry, then clicking that switch is really good!

If this brings sensory needs into the mainstream, great.

Quite a few schools in my city have apparently banned them, because they're causing a distraction. I think if a child needs one/benefits from it (for example helping them focus or helping with anxiety) then they shouldn't suffer just because they're become the new fad that kids just have to have.

I understand why some people need them. But I also understand why places are banning them. If people can focus better with them (or claim to at least)- that's fine but they are distractions. Think of all the people distracted by them. Everyone else shouldn't have to suffer due to a toy, period.

I understand why some people need them. But I also understand why places are banning them. If people can focus better with them (or claim to at least)- that's fine but they are distractions. Think of all the people distracted by them. Everyone else shouldn't have to suffer due to a toy, period.
I'd be wary to ban toys unless they are dangerous ... there are so many other distracting things out there...
E.g. if we take the argument really far... can we mandate the use of deoderant? Or loud breathers? Kids playing is natural.

Update: Here in the Land of Oz, the bloody evening news has just done a piece about the "invasion of spinner toys"!!!!
I have heard nothing of these things and within days I can't turn on tv or go online without someone saying something about them... now that I know they are 'popular' their appeal to me has waned somewhat. Am I shallow?
Mine has yet to arrive in the mail... buyers remorse...

The news reporter acknowledged that they were originally developed to assist ADHD and Autism kids but they are so addictive that (NT) kids and adults alike are now being hooked. The main crux of the piece was about how low tech they are; not involving a screen or IT of any sort, their inexpensiveness and that adults and kids are both into them equally.

It's interesting that they've used the word 'controversy' in the headline, yet I can see little hard evidence in the article that they're a bad thing. Yes, they're unlikely to create an immediate genius, but if they help someone stay calm I'm all for them - and the fact that other kids want them too is, as you say, a great thing as it reduces alienation. They seem a bit like the fidget cubes. I think they're all so new that there is little research either way.

The teacher frustrations are nothing new: this seems like a new "craze" similar to yo-yos in my time, those electronic pet things and snap bracelets. Kids always want to bring them into school and play with them during lesson time, and teachers always want to ban them.

I must admit, I've ordered one - but just to try out. I've tried the fidget cube and it didn't really do much for me unless I get really angry, then clicking that switch is really good!

If this brings sensory needs into the mainstream, great.
The electronic pets were awesome, I loved my nano-kitty and you had to take them to school if you tried to leave them at home all day they'd always run away! -._-. I kept mine in my locker and took a minute to attend to it between classes at lunch and immediately after school. You couldn't mute it so you had to avoid taking it to class less the teacher finding it because it started beeping at you. They were so cute! I miss mine, got stolen of course, I tried to get another but it didn't work... (ordered it offline way after they went out of style).

I always snuck my Gameboy to classes and would play pokemon under my desk during class, never got caught either. :p

(MSN) The Associated Press recently reported that German customs officials have seized no less than 35 metric tons of fidget spinners and are planning on — with much dramatic flair — "crushing them out of existence."

If they are so against such things, I wonder how the German state really feels about those on the spectrum or those with ADD? One can only hope they are more understanding and forgiving when it comes to people than toys.

Germany Is Destroying A Whole Lot Of Fidget Spinners & The Internet Couldn’t Be Happier

Life imitating art? :eek:

Last edited:
I had a fidget spinner, finally, for a day, I just really didn't get it. :< I gave it to my son, he thought it was fun, now it's lost. Blah.

Personally, I find it funny how Auties were made fun of for having stim toys, but now that they have been re-named "Fidget toys" they are the latest fad! I swear every store from here to Magrathea is stocked with piles of the things. I don't really see the appeal of them, I'm much happier with my stim cube. :)

My cousins liked fidget spinners and other stim toys until they found out what their origin was :/
My extended family is very anti-Autism and loves to make fun of people who are in any way different, both my mum's side and dad's side.

My cousins liked fidget spinners and other stim toys until they found out what their origin was :/
My extended family is very anti-Autism and loves to make fun of people who are in any way different, both my mum's side and dad's side.
>:/

I have a lovely orange one I take to and from work - I find even just turning it over and over in my hand feels good and stops me tapping things or drumming with my fingers.

I had a fidget spinner for awhile and I actually liked it quite a bit. However, I had to stop using it because I kept accidentally hitting my computer while I was playing with it. Luckily my computer hasn't been damaged, but I didn't want to take any more chances.

That being said, I think these things are way overblown. They're nice to use when I want to do something with my hands, but there are other things that work just as well for me, if not better, such as silly putty or those balls that are filled with air that you can squeeze (I believe they're called sea urchin balls? I don't know, but I love them.) But if the fact that fidget spinners are cool right now help other people with autism/ADHD/anxiety feel more confident, then I'm all for them.

I didn't get a fidget spinner until quite recently, when my siblings returned home from a youth event with a spinner each. They didn't really pay much attention to theirs, so I would occasionally pick one of them up and spin it...I had to admit they were kinda cool (I have phone anxiety, but playing with a spinner while talking on the phone actually seemed to help), so I finally ordered a pink one online for pretty cheap (I didn't want to appropriate either of my siblings' spinners, even tho neither of them seemed to care much about them). I added it to the "stim bag" in my purse after it arrived, but I must say I haven't used it much since then.

My most favorite stim toys are Tangle toys, tumbled rocks, small plastic toys and anything soft and fuzzy, like small stuffed animals. I wish carrying stuffed animals openly everywhere would become a trend like the spinners have. :) I recall reading something a few years ago that it was trend among students in some parts of Japan - they would proudly hug their Pikachu, Doraemon and Hello Kitty plushies everywhere they went and sit them on their desks, and it was totally okay. :)

As for their popularity, I think it's good that the fact that stimming/fidgeting is a positive thing (and necessary for coping and emotional/sensory regulation) is getting more attention, but what I feel kind of iffy about is NTs using them to deliberately mock those who really do need stim toys for sensory/coping reasons. I mean, if an NT person wants to use a stim toy, I say that's fine - everyone stims in some way or another, even if they don't realize it....I just wish they wouldn't make such a big deal out of "liking them ironically" or using them as a vehicle for ableism. I also wish schools weren't so quick to ban them, too, given that there may be students who NEED the stimulation they provide. Maybe encourage the use of other stim toys that aren't as visually distracting, or are quieter? IDK....I'm kind of rambling b/c it's pretty late over here and I gotta sleep, but I hope at least some of this makes sense. XD

New Threads

Top Bottom