• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Female Square Aspie

SquareBanana

I am, so far, self diagnosed, 47 years old, and, by chance, seeing a therapist who's son is diagnosed with autism and is very familiar with the signs. She is not arguing with my discovery, so I'm taking that as a fairly reliable confirmation.

I LOVE squares, decorate with them, wear square jewelry, and now I understand this quirky little obsession so much better. My daughter has neuropsych testing tomorrow morning, hence my recent hyperfocus on the subject. I would be shocked at this point, with all I have read in the past 6 weeks, if she was not officially diagnosed soon.

I believe that all of my father's struggles with work and relationships and hermit-ish choices, have now been explained and that I finally understand what I have been feeling all my life. My degree in psychology was, as is typical, a search for my own answers. It sent me on a wild goose chase down a rabbit hole. I was on the right track when the ADHD diagnosis helped me feel less alone, but now the depression and anxiety ALL makes sense too, FINALLY! I have married into a family of what I see now as ASPIEs too, so my kiddo's sort of destined, in my opinion.

I have raised her to embrace her ADHD as a gift and always say that she just needs to work WITH her brain, rather than AGAINST it, and she heard me. She has channeled her energy into amazing award winning art, paper and wire sculpture in particular, becoming a downhill ski instructor, and even captain of her mountain biking team. All were very challenging endeavors that took collaboration from our whole little family. The extreme anxiety that has kept her from sleeping well, and the motor and neuro-visual challenges, though, have led to several biking accidents and post concussive syndrome.

She is 18 and should have been further along toward college acceptance, but executive functioning is holding her back. She has the potential to become a neurologist or a neuro-psychologist or a sculptor or a writer, or a singer, all dreams she has the initial talent and/or intellect for, but the autism challenges may keep her from any or all of them.

I feel as if my husband and I have intuitively helped her get through to this point, but letting go is so hard now, and I feel so lacking in achieving any of my own potential, so I'm so scared for her! This discovery could be just what she needs, but info on female ASPIEs is so lacking. Reading ASPERGERS FROM THE INSIDE was enlightening to read from a female perspective and really cinched my own self diagnosis, but I want more information on women and want to connect with more diagnosed women.

I believe that I stumbled upon female AUTISTICs in each of my special best friends, elementary school, then high school, then college, and then one more in married life. They each got me through, and I maintain friendships with all but one, but it is so hard to make other friends as an adult. So hard! I hate feeling fake all the time, and I always say the wrong thing, so I end up being a hermit, just like each of my parents and my mother-in-law and my husband's entire family, even though I believe I am an Extrovert.

I feel so trapped by my ways! The book directed me to these forums, so this is my first attempt! My therapist wants me to reach out and find connection for myself. I am just coming out of a deep depression that left me feeling suicidal, watching my child suffer and feeling so alone after my close friend left the state after her own Aspie marriage failed. It's nice to know that y'all will understand this long rant I just typed. ;)

welcome.png

Hi. Fellow mTBI here w pcs. hard

Welcome banana :)

I like to use analogies & pop culture references to explain myself but we get it too, when you rant ;)

I hear you sister!Self-diagnosed,waiting for diagnosis-down to GP.Depression is a killer,good to read you are coming out of it.I just `joined` forum and so glad to see a female here.Sounds like you are a wonderful mother too.My son is in his second year at university with extreme social anxiety and it`s been tough seeing him go,but I`m so proud of him and we skype loads.Best wishes to you,enjoyed your rant.:)

Thanks Jane! My daughter just failed her driving test for the second time. I'm fretting for her, but trying to let her falter and figure on her own. Sucks!

IMG_7758.JPG
... here too (female , 43). Have you read this awesome book, The Dot ? It's about a kid that makes his love of dots his trademark to be creative. When you talked about your love for squares, I immediatly thought of it ;)

I am, so far, self diagnosed, 47 years old, and, by chance, seeing a therapist who's son is diagnosed with autism and is very familiar with the signs. She is not arguing with my discovery, so I'm taking that as a fairly reliable confirmation.

I LOVE squares, decorate with them, wear square jewelry, and now I understand this quirky little obsession so much better. My daughter has neuropsych testing tomorrow morning, hence my recent hyperfocus on the subject. I would be shocked at this point, with all I have read in the past 6 weeks, if she was not officially diagnosed soon.

I believe that all of my father's struggles with work and relationships and hermit-ish choices, have now been explained and that I finally understand what I have been feeling all my life. My degree in psychology was, as is typical, a search for my own answers. It sent me on a wild goose chase down a rabbit hole. I was on the right track when the ADHD diagnosis helped me feel less alone, but now the depression and anxiety ALL makes sense too, FINALLY! I have married into a family of what I see now as ASPIEs too, so my kiddo's sort of destined, in my opinion.

I have raised her to embrace her ADHD as a gift and always say that she just needs to work WITH her brain, rather than AGAINST it, and she heard me. She has channeled her energy into amazing award winning art, paper and wire sculpture in particular, becoming a downhill ski instructor, and even captain of her mountain biking team. All were very challenging endeavors that took collaboration from our whole little family. The extreme anxiety that has kept her from sleeping well, and the motor and neuro-visual challenges, though, have led to several biking accidents and post concussive syndrome.

She is 18 and should have been further along toward college acceptance, but executive functioning is holding her back. She has the potential to become a neurologist or a neuro-psychologist or a sculptor or a writer, or a singer, all dreams she has the initial talent and/or intellect for, but the autism challenges may keep her from any or all of them.

I feel as if my husband and I have intuitively helped her get through to this point, but letting go is so hard now, and I feel so lacking in achieving any of my own potential, so I'm so scared for her! This discovery could be just what she needs, but info on female ASPIEs is so lacking. Reading ASPERGERS FROM THE INSIDE was enlightening to read from a female perspective and really cinched my own self diagnosis, but I want more information on women and want to connect with more diagnosed women.

I believe that I stumbled upon female AUTISTICs in each of my special best friends, elementary school, then high school, then college, and then one more in married life. They each got me through, and I maintain friendships with all but one, but it is so hard to make other friends as an adult. So hard! I hate feeling fake all the time, and I always say the wrong thing, so I end up being a hermit, just like each of my parents and my mother-in-law and my husband's entire family, even though I believe I am an Extrovert.

I feel so trapped by my ways! The book directed me to these forums, so this is my first attempt! My therapist wants me to reach out and find connection for myself. I am just coming out of a deep depression that left me feeling suicidal, watching my child suffer and feeling so alone after my close friend left the state after her own Aspie marriage failed. It's nice to know that y'all will understand this long rant I just typed. ;)
This is a good safe place to share your experiences. It amazes me how similar my journeys have been with others here.

New Threads

Top Bottom