1. Welcome to Aspies Central, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Faking birthdates!!!

Discussion in 'Site Questions, Suggestions & Feedback' started by Myrtonos, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrtonos

Myrtonos Well-Known Member

I have heard a rumour that one of our members has faked their birthdate. I won't say which one. This goes against any good reason for requiring members to specify their date of birth when signing-up.

2. Bolletje

Bolletje Well-Known Member

I can understand someone choosing to use a fictitious date of birth for the sake of anonymity.

• Agree Agree x 11
  3. WildCat

WildCat previously known as jonathan V.I.P Member

Maybe it was for privacy concerns? How does that person know who they can trust on the other side of the internet?

Is it really that big of a deal when someone harmless chooses to withhold their personal information and remain anonymous? There are plenty of good reasons for this, just so you know.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Makes perfectly good sense when you consider the degree of identity theft occurring. Even a web host operating in good faith cannot guarantee with 100% safety of their data from being breached, let alone all the bots which routinely harvest such data.

So the real question to ask is when you are prompted to provide such data, do you really feel compelled to provide the actual date if it isn't a legal necessity?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. VioletHaze_03

VioletHaze_03 Nerdling (Fledgling nerd)

I don't see anything wrong with faked birthdates. if you use it because you don't feel safe giving your age to the public, that is perfectly okay. I have dealt with many unsafe people, and I can understand why people would want to protect themselves. most of us don't post our real names as usernames, so it makes sense that we wouldn't be honest about our age either. however, if you do this, you should tell someone your real birthday when you can trust them.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mathalamus

Mathalamus Emperor of the Mathalamus Empire V.I.P Member

oh my god, this again? they do it for basic safety, for anonymity, and basic privacy. preventing users from faking birthday is a massive, massive breach of all three at once, and it would never, ever, fly in any website anywhere.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  7. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Bolletje

Bolletje Well-Known Member

I don't really understand what the problem is, to be honest.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Chance

Chance "all who wander are not lost" - Tolkien V.I.P Member

"rumors"... thats not logical, nor is it helpful for the site.

Many people here may have very good reasons to keep their personal information as private as possible.
    There are bots and trolls everywhere trying to use and categorize everything we say online.
    My point Total: 95 (members: 19, guests: 52, robots: 24).... There are only 19 real members on this site right now!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Sportster

Sportster Aged to Perfection

Okay, it's probably me. Since I was around when Yoda was born, I prefer to be thought of as younger.

Seriously, I fully agree with what @Judge said. Most sites require a birth-date, so on most I use a date that's easy for me to remember that's close to my age but not the actual date. If polled, most people over a certain age would probably say that their "cyber footprint" is bogus to a degree. After all, my real name is not Sportster.

I think the reason so many sites require a birth-date is the same as having to show an ID at Walmart to buy certain movies, which cracks me up since I'm about 40 years older than most of those clerks running the registers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Chance

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Nitro

Nitro Immoral Turpitude Staff Member Admin V.I.P Member

I'm old enough to remember when dirt was of value and only the rich had it :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Kevin Costner would have agreed. (Waterworld) :p

• Funny Funny x 6
  14. Gracey

Gracey Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

How did you find this out??

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Laurizzle

Laurizzle Well-Known Member

My location is a bowl of soup. That's all you need to know.

But seriously, its the internet, what were you expecting?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Mathalamus

Mathalamus Emperor of the Mathalamus Empire V.I.P Member

what kind of soup is it? i hope its tomato. :3

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Katleya

Katleya Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I'm actually much more concerned by the fact that there are rumors going around about other users than by a supposedly inaccurate birthdate. I don't think gossip has a place here, so I'm kind of sad that other people would take part in that.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Chance

Maybe ALPHABET noodle... I won't eat it because I spend all my time spelling bad words...
    Shame face : (

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. Gracey

Gracey Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

:D makes an otherwise dreary meal kind of exciting... Never seen to get enough vowels in one can :\

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Suzanne

Suzanne Well-Known Member

I think what is more upsetting is that you got to know about it; where is the privacy in that!

I personally would love to have by passed it, because I do not celebrate birthdays anyway and have to put up with it glaring at me, when it comes to that day and have to explain to well wishers that thanks, but I do not celebrate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.